ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sporting Clays rides
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

I always walk with my push cart.

I was headed to the first station one day and there was a guy trying to back his lifted golf cart off his trailer. He was giving it all the gas he could and it was not going anywhere. He was cussing up a storm.
As I walked by I noticed he still had his rear tire strapped down to the trailer. I just pointed at it and kept walking. I wondered how his shooting was that day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:25 pm 
Limited Edition

took wrote:
I always walk with my push cart.

I was headed to the first station one day and there was a guy trying to back his lifted golf cart off his trailer. He was giving it all the gas he could and it was not going anywhere. He was cussing up a storm.
As I walked by I noticed he still had his rear tire strapped down to the trailer. I just pointed at it and kept walking. I wondered how his shooting was that day.

:lol:

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am lucky (was lucky?) Marist89, has a very nice cart. He drives Eddav72 around, (sometimes Eddav72 is the chauffer) and carries my shooting bag, I walk most of the course unless the stations are far apart.

Sure is nice to have friends!!

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:51 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
I am lucky (was lucky?) Marist89, has a very nice cart. He drives Eddav72 around, (sometimes Eddav72 is the chauffer) and carries my shooting bag, I walk most of the course unless the stations are far apart.

Cart or no cart it is great to share the shooting days with good friends.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:20 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:

Thread drift

Speaking of Jeff, where has he been? He OK?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload,

Yup, Jeff is doing well. We shot together the last weekend in August. He is busy, he is a moderator on the Facebook group Clay Shooting, probably why you don't see him here much.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've had no carts, push carts, golf carts and now a Polaris Ranger. I prefer the combo back-pack gun sleeve and carrying to a push cart. I definitely prefer a golf UTV at a larger shoot, specifically for the shade and handy seating it offers. Just having those two comforts is worth a good 5 or 6 targets at a stiffer shoot for this old man ;)

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:50 pm 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
I've had no carts, push carts, golf carts and now a Polaris Ranger. I prefer the combo back-pack gun sleeve and carrying to a push cart. I definitely prefer a golf UTV at a larger shoot, specifically for the shade and handy seating it offers. Just having those two comforts is worth a good 5 or 6 targets at a stiffer shoot for this old man ;)

Worth more than 5 or 6 in this Florida heat. Last weekend I tore my calf muscle 3/4 of the way through the first 100. Glad I had my golf cart and some ice; kept my leg on the seat on a bag of ice and drove with the other foot; hobbled to each stand and muddled through to the end and shot both courses. That wasn't happening if I was walking.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

And what he said ^^^ ;)

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

T-pee

To get back to your original question, I now use a Honda 500. I used a rugged gear cart at first as I only went to the small local courses. When I got more serious I used a Kawasaki teryx. I had it and a Polaris Ranger already as I use them both around my place and for hunting. Then I bought a small toy hauler. The Teryx fit but took up too much room on overnights to big shoots. Also it was like driving a NASCAR racer to work as a daily driver. Then I bought an EZGO dedicated clays cart. It weighed 600 pounds less and was ideal for most places.

Well then we bought a bigger Toy Hauler and we started to go to more and bigger shoots and in rougher country. My two trips to Nationals has all been very muddy. Clathorne has always been a muddy mess. Flint Oak will beat a humble cart to near death. For me at least, my 2 trips to Ben Avery a year required canvas covers and knobby tires. Even Clark county, Las Vegas, it is quite a haul from the campground to all the different venues.

So, last month I went for the small Honda. It weighs more than the EZGO, 1025 pounds, but is much more capable and takes up less room in the Toy Hauler. At Utah State last month, I had to drive about 2 miles each way on state roads (legal there by the way) to get to the range at speeds up to 35 mph. I find it ideal, especially for the big course. Unnecessary for my home club but much more comfortable.

Want to buy an EZGO :^)

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:47 pm 
Limited Edition

I woke wide up in the wee hours of the morning today with a plan. I inherited a Karmann Ghia a few years ago and drove it once. Not my thing. It's been sitting covered on the driveway since. Nice one too. My early morning thought was to off the Ghia and go get a Polaris Ranger and trailer. I can use it for shoots, off-roading trips with the wifey and bird hunting in the Owens Valley up the 395. I've wanted one for a long time anyway so.....

tp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Excellent plan......the Polaris wont catch fire as often either:-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Rooster booster wrote:
Excellent plan......the Polaris wont catch fire as often either:-)

Truth.

When I get woke up like that with a fully-formed idea in my head it seems almost invariably the best way to go. My experience anyway.

tp (following instructions)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:23 pm 
Crown Grade

I’ve spent quite a tidy sum on guns over the years, thanks to many early morning ‘awakenings’.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:47 am 
Limited Edition

Wound up with a four-gun Rugged Gear cart. Nice bit of kit and the Ghia is still sitting under cover in the driveway. Figured being able to collapse, load in the back and go a good distance at speed without worrying about a trailer may open more opportunities for shooting various venues. Besides...

The walk will do me good. :)

tp (and his good boots)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:22 pm 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
JacksBack wrote:

Worth more than 5 or 6 in this Florida heat. Last weekend I tore my calf muscle 3/4 of the way through the first 100. Glad I had my golf cart and some ice; kept my leg on the seat on a bag of ice and drove with the other foot; hobbled to each stand and muddled through to the end and shot both courses. That wasn't happening if I was walking.

How the heck did you do that .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Don't know; but it "popped" loud enough two others in my squad heard it and I could barely walk (hobble) without falling.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have too many bad joints, so I purchased a Kawasaki 600 Mule 15 years ago and it has been perfect only needing a couple of batteries and oil changes.
I can go up hills that carts cant make and it can go down to a crawl speed so you don't have to pass walking shooters. It only needs gas a couple of times a year.
It is perfect for two or 4 in a pinch and will fit into a pickup bed.

CT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

I take my LPC's from station to station.

(Leather personnel Carriers)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:57 pm 
Limited Edition

Had the Rugged Gear out today at the local SC course with three of my friends and the cart worked like a champ. The guys were pretty impressed by how it handled the load of toys we had along. Fast shipping from Sport Shooting Supply and arrived in good shape almost completely assembled. All I had to do is snap the wheels on and we were ready to go. It actually fit sideways in the back of my bud's Honda hatchback. Pretty darned handy!

tp (and a nice stroll with four shotguns and gear along)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next