ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dickinson Plantation Sporter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:29 am 
Presentation Grade

Does anyone here have any experience shooting one of these, or know someone who has shot one enough to know how well they work at SC and their overall opinion of it. I am considering one for sxs events. Thanks!
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... 24834#lg-6

Post subject: Re: Dickinson Plantation Sporter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a 28 gauge Dickinson Estate, which is an earlier production double trigger model. I got mine for considerably less than current prices. The triggers were horrible. I did a DIY trigger job, and got things to a reasonable level. I question the hardening of the internals.

I'd want to handle one before I spent that price.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:39 pm 
Crown Grade

I gave 1200 for a Dickinson 410 double trigger gun with 28" barrels. It seems to shoot just dandy at SCs. The front trigger is a bit heavy, so I shoot the back trigger first and never notice it. Mine isn't as nice as that one - mine must be a Estate. I have over a dozen old SxSs in 12ga, mostly Remingtons with a couple of Parkers and a Lefever throw in. This is my fist venture into 410 shooting. So far it's been fun. Waiting for my 410 reloader.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks, guys, but if you will re-read my question, you will see it's about the Plantation Sporter SC version I'm asking about...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Those guns are made in Turkey. That would be a hard pass for me. But if you really want one (SXS) look at the SKB's for much less. Also made in Turkey. Target guns get more rounds thru than the average hunting gun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks. Most everyone that cares knows they are Turkish guns. The SKB versions are being discontinued by one of their main dealers. A couple of small gauges for sale on Gunsinternational. But, once again, I'M LOOKING FOR FIRST-HAND EXPERIENCE BY ANYONE WHO OWNS AND SHOOTS A DICKINSON PLANTATION SPORTER.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:27 am 
Crown Grade

A lot of the Turkish shotguns are actually made by the same company but imported by different US companies. And some are just tarted up more than others. For hunting where you only fire maybe 50 rounds a year they may stand up. For a clays target gun they are firing pin eaters and have very soft internals. But it's your money and choice. Sounds like you have your mind made up. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:32 am 
Presentation Grade

GoldenEagle wrote:
Thanks. Most everyone that cares knows they are Turkish guns. The SKB versions are being discontinued by one of their main dealers. A couple of small gauges for sale on Gunsinternational. But, once again, I'M LOOKING FOR FIRST-HAND EXPERIENCE BY ANYONE WHO OWNS AND SHOOTS A DICKINSON PLANTATION SPORTER.

Reach out to a member who goes by "Cold Iron." He has a couple. He's on a grouse trip right now, so it might be tough to reach him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:32 pm 
Crown Grade

The Turks have been making guns long enough to know how to heat treat steel.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

DE wrote:
GoldenEagle wrote:

Reach out to a member who goes by "Cold Iron." He has a couple. He's on a grouse trip right now, so it might be tough to reach him.

Thanks DE. Finally, some worthwhile info.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 pm 
Utility Grade

A gentleman I shoot 5 stand with got one earlier this year and was nice enough to let me shoot it a couple of times. I liked it because it is the first SXS that fit me. The LOP was around 14-15" it was a 20 gauge with 32" barrels and I liked the semi raised rib it has. I am also considering buying one myself after I sell one of my other guns. I am waiting to shoot a full round or two of 5 stand before I pull the trigger on the purchase. If I can't hit anything with it why buy one. This gentleman shoots almost all SXS guns and he seems to be real happy with it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:53 am 
Presentation Grade

cfrobco wrote:
A gentleman I shoot 5 stand with got one earlier this year and was nice enough to let me shoot it a couple of times. I liked it because it is the first SXS that fit me. The LOP was around 14-15" it was a 20 gauge with 32" barrels and I liked the semi raised rib it has. I am also considering buying one myself after I sell one of my other guns. I am waiting to shoot a full round or two of 5 stand before I pull the trigger on the purchase. If I can't hit anything with it why buy one. This gentleman shoots almost all SXS guns and he seems to be real happy with it.

Thank you sir! Most helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Buy it. It’s beautiful and cheap for what it is. Besides, Pacific will stand behind it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

GoldenEagle,

I just received one on trade, it is the Dickinson Plantation 12ga 30in. Used, like new. Less than 500 rounds fired through the gun. Comes with Dickinson original case and 5 choke tubes. Can send photos if interested, just send me an email ([email protected])!

Island Lake & Bald Mountain Shooting Ranges
http://www.mishoot.com
[email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

PM sent, Drew. Thanks.