ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bull Run help
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 am 
Limited Edition

Whom here shoots sporting at Bull Run? This was our first time shooting sporting there and we ran out of shells by station 11, couple of us have shot sporting before but for all of us this was our first time here. Every place I’ve shot has had a trapper, but here as you know (if you've shot there) is self-lead. We have no idea how many times to shot at a station…yes they have a grease board that shows what targets are being thrown, but the card on the rails would say 2x, 3x or 4x…I realized at about station 6 we would run out of shells before we finished if we followed that card. Can someone offer a cheat sheet on how many times we need to shoot each station or is that information available at the club house? Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: Bull Run help
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:13 am 
Tournament Grade

Next time you go ask for a score sheet or ask the people up front for a recommendation. If they have 12 stations you’re gonna be shooting about 4 pair at each of you want to shoot the same amount at every stand. A fun part about this game is you can choose what you want to shoot or not.

Most places don’t have trappers that follow you around or are at stations unless it is an event.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:26 am 
Limited Edition

Never thought of the score sheet...stupid on my part. We followed a group "in training" if you will and we didn't want to hold them up any longer than they were running. 15 stations, 50 rounds...we ran out at station 11 and we had probably 1/2-3/4 box extra shells.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:29 am 
Crown Grade

15 stations would be 100 targets, not 50, with most stations shooting 3 pairs

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:36 am 
Presentation Grade

I have never shot at any place where they had a trapper. Now, I am just a recreational shooter who does not compete. I have shot at Bull Run a few times but the last time was a few years ago.

I will agree with zxcvbnm that you should ask at the front desk. If the person at the front desk can not give you any recommendations about exactly how many pairs per station they should at the very least be able to tell you how many stations are available that day. Armed with this basic information just do a little basic math and plan your day.

Many of the places around the country that I have shot at do not provide you with a detailed score card and you need to make your own plan. My major criticism of these places is that you may not know how many machines are available at each station, and when more than two are available you may not know which machines are more or less difficult.

I like it when a facility posts information at each station indicating some sort of plan such as... Shoot this station as report pairs, or true pairs. Shoot 3 pairs at this station, or shoot 4 pairs at this station. Shoot machine A and B as an easy pair, or shoot B and C as the more difficult pair. For facilities that I am not familiar with this sort of information is extremely useful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I take an annual trip to Tucson Trap and Skeet / Coyote Spring Sporting Clays. They have many stations for sporting clays. Each station has a card reader which records each shot. You purchase the card before you start and add as many targets as you want, perhaps in the thousands. You could use all your prepaid targets on one station if you wish or shoot all the courses. If shooting by yourself the card reader has a delay feature which gives you a few seconds to ready your self.
This is the slickest system I ever saw although I have not shot that many courses. I cannot imagine the cost of such a system.
When you purchase the targets they automatically add 12% more.That allows for breakage. If you pay for 100 targets you get 112. I don't recall the target price but it is around 30 cents per target.
Tucson T&S is a Disney land for shooters.They offer all the clay venues. Trap, Skeet, bunker trap, international skeet,F.I.T.A.S.C, super sporting, and helice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

Anywhere, anytime, under any circumstances.....I leave the truck with at least 1-2 Boxes more than I expect the course will require.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Pretty easy formula, Just do the math. Most courses have 15 or more stations. It’s typical to shoot in multiples of 4, 6, of 8. The sequence and choice of report or true pair is yours.

If you have 15 stations, shoot 6 targets at 10 stations and 8 targets at 5 stations for a total of 100.
If you are going to shoot only 50 targets, then pick 12 stations: 4 targets at 11 stations and 6 at 1.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:48 am 
Tournament Grade

In twenty years of shooting sporting locally and around the Nation I have never shot at a club that did not have a menu at each station, registered or for fun! If it's just a Rec round for you, shoot whatever you want....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sometimes the club just goofs up.

Next time ask. No one will think less of you. Most clubs just want to sell targets and the more the better.

For tournaments , I, too, carry extra shells b/c of the chance of no -birds and do overs.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

wrfish wrote:
I take an annual trip to Tucson Trap and Skeet / Coyote Spring Sporting Clays. They have many stations for sporting clays. Each station has a card reader which records each shot. You purchase the card before you start and add as many targets as you want, perhaps in the thousands. You could use all your prepaid targets on one station if you wish or shoot all the courses. If shooting by yourself the card reader has a delay feature which gives you a few seconds to ready your self.
This is the slickest system I ever saw although I have not shot that many courses. I cannot imagine the cost of such a system.
When you purchase the targets they automatically add 12% more.That allows for breakage. If you pay for 100 targets you get 112. I don't recall the target price but it is around 30 cents per target.
Tucson T&S is a Disney land for shooters.They offer all the clay venues. Trap, Skeet, bunker trap, international skeet,F.I.T.A.S.C, super sporting, and helice.

https://www.longrangellc.com/counters

At the end of the day its not really that expensive when you consider the alternatives, such as paying trappers or letting people throw all the targets they want.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

GE-Mini-gun wrote:
Whom here shoots sporting at Bull Run? This was our first time shooting sporting there and we ran out of shells by station 11, couple of us have shot sporting before but for all of us this was our first time here. Every place I’ve shot has had a trapper, but here as you know (if you've shot there) is self-lead. We have no idea how many times to shot at a station…yes they have a grease board that shows what targets are being thrown, but the card on the rails would say 2x, 3x or 4x…I realized at about station 6 we would run out of shells before we finished if we followed that card. Can someone offer a cheat sheet on how many times we need to shoot each station or is that information available at the club house? Thanks for the help.

I frequently shoot at Bull Run. If you're shooting a tournament there, most are 100 rounds, and the score sheet will tell you and there will be a card that says something like "3x Report A-B" or "4x Simo A-C". The former would mean you target A is released, then upon firing the gun, target B is released, and you are to shoot that presentation three times. The latter would mean targets A and C are to be released simultaneously, and you are to shoot that presentation four times.

If you're not there for a tournament, you're probably looking at the leftover cards from the prior tournament which might not have any bearing on the existing target options. The white boards show what targets are available. You are free to shoot them in *any* order, as singles, reports, simultaneous ("true") pairs, etc. There's no set order, number of shots, etc...just do what you feel.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:57 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the help. As mentioned this was our first time there so we were basically going in “blind”. Also as mentioned, I’ve shot sporting before, but it’s been 5 or more years and every time we a trapper was along, except for the longer targets, which the trapper told us what to do. At Bull Run we were told it was a 50 round field (15 stations) and that was it…here’s your card, have fun. Again since I was the only one that has shot sporting before I thought we would meet the trapper on the course (couple hundred yard walk). We had a great time and plan on going back, but as I’m asking it would be nice to know how many shots are required for each station…the grease board we had figured out, but the quantity of shots we didn’t. Again thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:42 am 
Crown Grade

50 rounds for 15 stations?
That's not even two pair per station; something doesn't sound right. Why would they care if you wanted to shoot a few flats? They make money by selling targets.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:51 am 
Limited Edition

50 was the number I was told by the guy that “set-up” the shoot. This was a Men’s Ministry Shoot our church has twice a year and the leader of the ministry made the call to Bull Run. I’ve mentioned I’m a skeet shooter first and anything else after that, so it was sorta new to me, but as mentioned we had a great time and looking forward to doing it again. I just think the front desk could have asked if we’d been there before and if not a real “high” elevation of how to run the controller and anything else. That’s another thing…the controller took a couple stations to figure out the simo pairs. For those you hit the simo button then the first thrower and wait until the bird is called for, then the other button for the other thrower…but again all in all we had fun.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:03 pm 
Crown Grade

OK, you didn't say it was a shoot of sorts. Still; for 50 shots, it should have been limited to maybe 8 stations with a menu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

Fun STARTS at a flat... carry lots of shells.

May the wind blow softly on your face during all your travels and never blow so hard as to rip your hair out in big clumps.