ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Busting Clays--What Color Do You Use?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:45 am 
Field Grade

So I'm a relative new guy when it comes to sporting clays. And recently I've gone out with a friend of mine with some friends of his I'd never met. And I felt like a damn fool. While I was there with my standard clear shooting glasses... Everyone else was wearing different colors. Some yellow, some purple, but none were clear like mine.

So, I when I got home, I did some research. After stumbling across a very helpful post--https://gununiversity.com/best-shooting-glasses/--I found out that I'm just making life harder for myself.

Anyone else use colored lenses? And if so, which colors and why? Looking for serious answers folks. I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Post subject: Re: Busting Clays--What Color Do You Use?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use yellow or light Orange for overcast days. Purple is good for sunny days without lots of glare or facing the sun. I like a dark brown polarized lens for when there's lots of glare or if shooting facing the sun (which I often do at my skeet club with their South facing fields). Do a search and somewhere there is breakdown of what is good for certain conditions and some just have their preferences. The color of the target and background as well as the typical light conditions all come into play.

Last edited by twohigh on Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We see/process colors differently so next time y'all get together ask to borrow/look through their different colored lenses and see which ones work for you.

So there's no one answer to give you. Some of the colors mentioned may/may not be for you so try first :)

And you need to figure out your budget also. I myself use the Ranger Edge glasses and I tried the Pilla's(which will get mentioned as the best) but they didn't work as well for me as the Rangers do. Good luck :D {hs#

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Another popular color for general conditions is vermillion, a medium rose color. But as said above, everybody is different. I recently discovered I couldn’t keep my eyes on the target when it was crossing in front of alternating dark trees and white overcast sky almost like light and dark stripes. The vermillion wasn’t working at all. But a dark orange (rust) was a big help. Go figure.

You may or may not wish to invest in really expensive glasses. That is your business. But I think it wise to start with some more economical brand in a few representative colors to see what works for you. Not just in the store, but on the clays course.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:30 pm 
Crown Grade

And some shooters prefer clear. It is in my opinion good to find a lens color that makes the target pop against the back grounds you are shooting. Not all targets are orange too so the other target colors may not contrast as well....or might contrast better. The individual eyes certainly vary as mentioned.

I have used a light purple lens for years and more recently as my eyes have aged, changed to a pale red lens which works for me in most all degrees of light.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:46 pm 
Limited Edition

I’m a master class shooter that has never worn anything but clear. I’ve never had an issue seeing the target and could certainly never blame a miss on a visual impairment. Everyone is different. Lens color preferences vary by person.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:15 pm 
Utility Grade

pray,
The lightest color makes your pupil tighten, giving the best view of the target.
Go back through SGW and read about eye issues, colors, solutions and eye doctors.
Enjoy the journey, the key is to remember you see with your brain, ymv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:36 pm 
Crown Grade

hopper810 wrote:
We see/process colors differently so next time y'all get together ask to borrow/look through their different colored lenses and see which ones work for you.

So there's no one answer to give you. Some of the colors mentioned may/may not be for you so try first :)

And you need to figure out your budget also. I myself use the Ranger Edge glasses and I tried the Pilla's(which will get mentioned as the best) but they didn't work as well for me as the Rangers do. Good luck :D {hs#

Not only are everyone's eyes different, but background and sky colors vary everywhere.
I shoot in Florida and south GA, where we have mostly green tree background and partly cloudy skies, so for MY eyes, a medium purple works well.
When I lived out in northern NV, the background was dried brush/brown and the skies were bright blue with no clouds. There, I used Randolph's CMT lens which really made the orange POP against the sky and background.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:50 pm 
Limited Edition

I have blue eyes and have found that light purple, sometimes a slightly darker purple and watermelon work for me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The answer is, "it depends." On a lot of different factors:

1) How YOU see color;
2) How light sensitive YOU are;
3) Background color;
4) Target color;
5) Time of year and latitude, basically the amount of light in the sky;
6) Cloud cover.

I am not overly light sensitive, so I tend to lighter colors than normal. If you are normally light sensitive, you will likely want darker. Good rule of thumb is to buy as light a tint as possible that keeps you from squinting. That said, I mainly use 3 different lenses depending. My #1 main goto is a medium orange (Pilla 52 CHC) and I use this 80% of the time. In darker overcast or under lights, I go to my #2 pale yellow-green (Pilla 92 HC), this one gets used maybe 10-15%. For brighter light I have my #3, a medium purple (Pilla 40 CN) as I find it calms glare and flattens greens, and this one gets used 5-10% of the time.

Finally a couple I own but rarely use and would not reco unless you shoot in these conditions. if very bright sun in the desert, I will go to a darker amber (30 ED), this only get's used rarely if I'm in really bright conditions and not sure I'd bother buying it again as my #3 above would probably work okay for me, but I keep it just because. I also have a lighter pink (Pilla 60 CHCW) that I rarely use, but really like it in earlier morning, late season lighting. I use it primarily for the type of conditions we get like early mornings at Nationals, but again could easily make do with my #1 and #2 depending.

You can see all these colors here: https://pillasport.com/collections/shooting

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:26 am 
Tournament Grade

I had an Rx change. Odd part of my family eye care insurance allowed me to buy two new sets of frames and lenses. So I bought one set with large aviator leness and clip-on sunglasses for driving. Before I got around to ording new shooting lens I tried them. They worked so well I haven't bothered to order new lenses for my shooting glasses. I generally use clear. When needed* I use the clip-on sunglasses.

*when needed is when it is VERY obvious they are needed, as in looking directly into the sun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have Rx yellow and that's all I wear with good results. I especially like them at dusk . I tell people it gives me an extra hour of daylight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

I really wanted to be part of the in crowd and wear vermillion as I mentioned above. But damn those rust colored lenses are working well. Ya gotta go with what does the job.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

I had yellow for years. Worked fine. Went to vermillion when my Rx changed. I think they highlight the targets a little better. But the suggestion to look through some other shooter’s lenses has merit. But in any case don’t be intimidated for wearing clear lenses. They are your eyes and wear what is comfortable for you. For a long time I just shot with my regular glasses before graduating to real shooting glasses.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Auldthymer wrote:
I really wanted to be part of the in crowd and wear vermillion as I mentioned above. But damn those rust colored lenses are working well. Ya gotta go with what does the job.

Vermillion always gives me a headache,I have 3 that I use regularly(depending on light conditions) but whenever possible My go-to's are the Copper HD's from Ranger.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

hopper810 wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:

Vermillion always gives me a headache,I have 3 that I use regularly(depending on light conditions) but whenever possible My go-to's are the Copper HD's from Ranger.

I suspect those are similar to what I am taking about: the rust.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I have blue eyes and shoot half the season in FL and half in MI. I deal with Morgan Optical and use Randolf Rangers. I use dark and medium purple almost exclusively except when up north and shooting late in the fall switch to Maxi lite for dusk or under the lights.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Unless I missed it, did you state whether or not you were wearing prescription lenses or just non-prescription protective lenses? If it is non-rx, it should be relatively easy (Covid notwithstanding) to try on some other shooters' non-rx sunglasses/shooting glasses. More difficult if RX. Currently I use mostly some vermillion/rose colored RX glasses that I had new lens put into old frames when my RX changed for about $70. For cloudy days or at dusk I wear yellow RX, also relensed in old frames. Depending on your eyes and your budget and how important it is to you, you can spend zillions and have a whole quiver of different lens colors.

Good luck,
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Dark gray polarized prescription shades. I can see it. Hitting it is a whole 'nuther thing..

tp (who does ok)

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm partly red/green color blind. I use Lt Purple or I could not see the pink targets some clubs throw.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.