ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Busting Clays--What Color Do You Use?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:42 am 
Crown Grade

I am in the southeast with lots of pine trees and shooting in the woods. I need to tone down the green background. Med Purple on sunny days and Amber for low light.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I also feel that eye color plays a factor on what color/amount of tint works for a person. I have Light Blue eyes and guess they may have changed some as Purple doesn't really work for me much anymore so don't use it anymore.

Thoughts???

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

hopper810 wrote:
I also feel that eye color plays a factor on what color/amount of tint works for a person. I have Light Blue eyes and guess they may have changed some as Purple doesn't really work for me much anymore so don't use it anymore.

Thoughts???

It is an interesting notion that I have no personal experience with. At least I have never recognized the effect. But I will watch out for it. My eyes are gray-green. Not a highly saturated color.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:09 pm 
Field Grade

Wow! Thanks for the all the quick replies. Looks like I'm gonna have to get to researching. I remember when I was a kid my dad had a set of glasses that came with interchangeable lenses of different varieties. Maybe I could find a set like that which could help me zero in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:18 am 
Presentation Grade

praynspray87 wrote:
Wow! Thanks for the all the quick replies. Looks like I'm gonna have to get to researching. I remember when I was a kid my dad had a set of glasses that came with interchangeable lenses of different varieties. Maybe I could find a set like that which could help me zero in.

Rangers come that way. They are not cheap but also not stupid expensive. Wiley X Sabers can be had in three or four of the popular interchangeable colors for way under $100 from TacticalGear.com.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:05 am 
Tournament Grade

I would think that color choice and tint would be harder for sporting than for trap, or skeet, or even 5-stand. For those the background is fairly constant, as is the location of the sun.

My sporting courses are usually set up in a loop and in fields, in woods, with dark backgrounds on some targets, and clear sky on others. It is difficult to pick one lens that works best for all of those.

This thread has made me more comfortable with my clear lens with clip-ons option. Roll-up sunglasses are a option for those that can't use clip-ons.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

everyone see's colors differently as mentioned, it can be tough I literally wear purple like 99 percent of the time. Brown in the morning when it's bright and sunny, and then rose when it's overcast.

I'd say the best thing to do would be to buy a $1600 pair of pillas and you will be amazed

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

gdub41 wrote:
everyone see's colors differently as mentioned, it can be tough I literally wear purple like 99 percent of the time. Brown in the morning when it's bright and sunny, and then rose when it's overcast.

I'd say the best thing to do would be to buy a $1600 pair of pillas and you will be amazed

Yes, I can see how doing that would indeed be amazing, if not to me, certainly to my wife.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

I just received my new polarized dark brown lens for my Ranger Classic glasses. I'll try them tomorrow as it's supposed to be a sunny day. I did notice a little difference from my dark brown polarized regular sunglasses. These new shooting lenses have a very slight purple/plum hue to them that I think I'll like.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

twohigh wrote:
I just received my new polarized dark brown lens for my Ranger Classic glasses. I'll try them tomorrow as it's supposed to be a sunny day. I did notice a little difference from my dark brown polarized regular sunglasses. These new shooting lenses have a very slight purple/plum hue to them that I think I'll like.

Let us know :) I use the Ranger Edges myself and luv um :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

hopper810 wrote:
twohigh wrote:

Let us know :) I use the Ranger Edges myself and luv um :)

I was talking to the people at LM Lenses and I had originally ordered dark purple polarized lens. Dark purple was not available in polarized polycarbonate lenses. So we talked about dark brown. After seeing them in daylight, the lenses are not dark brown but are in fact CMT (ColorMag) lenses that are like an eggplant color. This morning was a bright, cloudless, blue sky morning and with the low angle of the Sun and the fact that our skeet fields face South, Stations 3-8L involved lots of glare. These new lenses worked extremely well. I was able to see the targets while others wearing lighter colored non-polarized lenses really struggled. My scores were: 24, 24, 25. I'm very pleased.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the update and your experience with them :) The CMT lenses(original) are way too dark for me.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

hopper810 wrote:
Thanks for the update and your experience with them :) The CMT lenses(original) are way too dark for me.

Polarized lenses start out darker due to part of the light having been eliminated right at the outset.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:21 pm 
Field Grade

I'm farsighted and wear glasses to see. I wear those on all days, personally, rain or shine.

I've personally tried shooting glasses and I just find them distracting. But I realize I'm a lone wolf in this opinion, most likely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:13 am 
Presentation Grade

if normal everyday glasses work for you, then by all means keep that going, I'm a big fan of just plain clears as well from time to time, as I wear contacts, so I have to wear something obviously to protect the eyes.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"