ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Squad Sizes-8 is too much!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Did not take long for this thread to get off track.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:15 pm 
Crown Grade

YevetS wrote:
Did not take long for this thread to get off track.

Steve

Always seems to be the same person.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Q: What is the LOP for a Remington 1100 20 gauge from the 1970s?

A: SYO is the devil.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sometimes us shooters need to chill. Sometimes a club keeps itself going w/ a shoot like this. I'm not in love w/ SYO's but if I want to shoot I need to suas. Plus my game is so "off" right now , anyone can beat me. I am there to try to tune up and have fun.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Denver1911 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So true.... Hard to comprehend sometimes how so many threads end up discussing the evils of SYO events and their rampant cheating.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:55 pm 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
Sometimes us shooters need to chill. Sometimes a club keeps itself going w/ a shoot like this. I'm not in love w/ SYO's but if I want to shoot I need to suas. Plus my game is so "off" right now , anyone can beat me. I am there to try to tune up and have fun.

Agree with you on all counts. My shooting year has been challenging as well and am working thru some health and vision issues in hopes of righting the ship and getting back on track. No matter though, I am thankful when I am able to get out and enjoy the time at the range.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Personally, I prefer 4 man squads; but as the others have stated, you should have simply skipped ahead and then come back around; much simpler than waiting in the rain for a slow squad.

Agree, I feel 4 should be max.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Denver1911 wrote:

Post of the week!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:00 am 
Diamond Grade

Its not always squad size that slows things down. Sometimes its the routine of the shooters in the squad. Get in the box, load the gun, align the shell logos so you can read them, breath deep 3 times, re-trace the target path, breath 3 times again, shot the targets and repeat.
I would much rather shoot behind a 6 man squad that gets in the box and shoots then a 4 man squad that has the routine mentioned above.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:19 am 
Limited Edition

Well it seems that euro-squadding is not understood by these comments

" Furthermore, it would have been inconsiderate to someone behind us when we would have to go back and cut in front to finish.

"How does a squad work in a euro start? I thought Euro was every man for himself"

Perhaps a European or someone could explain this to us?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:44 am 
Presentation Grade

YevetS wrote:
Its not always squad size that slows things down. Sometimes its the routine of the shooters in the squad. Get in the box, load the gun, align the shell logos so you can read them, breath deep 3 times, re-trace the target path, breath 3 times again, shot the targets and repeat.
I would much rather shoot behind a 6 man squad that gets in the box and shoots then a 4 man squad that has the routine mentioned above.

Steve

Agreed. But ... I’d rather shoot behind a 6-person squad of shooters than any sized squad with ONE of the aforementioned ilk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:08 am 
Field Grade

Without having put a stopwatch on it myself I have to ask, are two 4 person squads really faster than one 8 person squad?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:12 am 
Diamond Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Those of us that want a fair and level playing field know where to find it. I prefer not to work for the club and have someone else throw the targets and keep score. I'll gladly pay the extra $15-20. The investment is minute compared to the other expenses in this game.

Agree. I think the 'hand out scorecards and don't care what happens on the course' comment is also right on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:26 am 
Crown Grade

YevetS wrote:

Steve

Well said. SUAS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been putting on shoots and attending shoots for about 20 yrs. There is no way that the shoot mgmt can police all the shooters all the time , even when the shoot is squadded and has set start times.

It doesn't mean that they don't care. They just can't afford the extra costs. And --trust me when I say this -- the shooters do not want to be the "shoot police".

Once , our state shoot did not have trappers b/c the club dropped the ball. They are not likely to have it again. This year , our state shoot had teen-aged girls , who did an OK job considering. Things will never be perfect.

Why , you say ???

B/c the shooters really don't care.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:40 am 
Utility Grade

Misplaced Lead wrote:
Without having put a stopwatch on it myself I have to ask, are two 4 person squads really faster than one 8 person squad?

Longer. 2 processes of getting score cards organized and 2 sets of show pairs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

TruePairLover wrote:
Misplaced Lead wrote:

Not if there’s an open station in front of them, so two people could be shooting at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:31 pm 
Field Grade

AZ Dutch wrote:
TruePairLover wrote:
Misplaced Lead wrote:

Not if there’s an open station in front of them, so two people could be shooting at the same time.

Ok, both those statements make sense - depends on course capacity and attendance. At my club we don't typically have empty stations, so hadn't considered that. More factors in this equation than it seemed, thanks for helping me see that...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Misplaced Lead wrote:

Yes, approximately 1/2 the time since you have people shooting different stations at the same time.
I've been behind a 8 man squad and a 11 person squad before. we were the last off the course both times and wasted more time waiting than we spent shooting. The 11 man squad was even worse since 4 of them were sharing guns.. Extremely aggregating to say the least.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:07 pm 
Crown Grade

I know when I shot with my regular group, if we have more than 5, we split up in to two groups and each goes their own way and we meet up at lunch.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next