PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:49 am 
Diamond Grade

"See the bird and watch him come,
But never, ever mount the gun,
Too quickly, it's not straight he flies,
He bobs and weaves before your eyes,
Move the muzzles, his path to plot,
But only mount to take the shot."

Pete Blakeley, formally Scotland, now Dallas, Texas.

http://peteblakeley.com

Post subject: Re: UK pheasant hunt
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:34 am 
Crown Grade

The last time I talked to an English friend of mine who does driven pheasants, it was £75/bird

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:30 pm 
Crown Grade

A new approach to peddling Ben H and his videos. He never posts anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Yep.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Classof78 wrote:
Lord oh lord look at this pheasant hunt......

Looks like a pheasant.....shoot but I am heartened to see the O/U had a front bead. {hs#

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

drawdc wrote:
A new approach to peddling Ben H and his videos. He never posts anything else.

Damn if you aren't correct. Classof78 i don't know what your deal is but this shilling crap ain't helping anyone. I've looked past the cheating and watched his free stuff as it is truly helpful but this sort of nonsense completely turns me off to the guy.

if you're trying to make him look even worse you're doing a bang up job.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Interestingly...Ben was born in 1978.

Is it a shill, or the man himself?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

Could have secured an invitation for a driven hunt, was $3000 for the day. 8 peg hunt. Maybe someday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:24 am 
Crown Grade

There are alot of rules for shoots. some are not totally obvious.
i`ve been on a single day full peg for a "small" shoot. it was very fun, but the landscape here is flatter than a pancake.
My day was alot cheaper than that, but it was a great value day. i believe i shot "extremely" well until the end. when i got absolutely wore out.

for 2 of the drives i was invited to be "walking gun", that is to walk alongside the beaters and shoot birds that flush the wrong way. it was pretty good sport. stonking great midseason birds, bright colours.
its a great day, food is provided, drink is also. (although getting sloshed is a no-no).
there are lots of info of what to expect. but you should enjoy yourself but also know what your contract is....

-Peg full or half ?
-Your drawn number
-what birds are on offer. some early shoots are "no hens" to stop weak juveniles being shot easily.
-partridge, some game is off limits. some birds are legal to shoot, but can come with a local -sporting fine, ie first to hit woodcock buys the first round of drinks. (its to keep local populations thriving)
-what type of shoot, high bird, close flush, flat and fast.
-buy fibre wadded cartridges only. no plastic. ever !
-take enough cartridges to last, no point running out of ammo.
-take a loader with you if you can, the shoot may provide one, they know the area, they want you to have a good time, listen to them.
-Know what the bag number is and the c/k ratio is, as stipulated in your contract for a peg. know this inside out. there are parts in play at either side.
-you are shooting as a team.
-If you are in as a single to fill a team, dont get greedy, if you taking your "clearly" neighbours birds, and are seen doing it to ruin another mans sport, there are "re adjustments" that can be made. ie they can re adjust your neighbours and have some of your own medicine, both sides (although this rarely happens).
-take shells that can do the job, 28-.410 small bore days are exellent. and are designed to be fun.
-those big comercial shoots will have ammo. at high cost, 12 gauge is king for these shoots.
- no automatics allowed unless pre requested and approved by the shoot captain. they are frowned upon. just due to inexperience here.
- guns are broken always.
- never load, shoot before the first whistle, never shoot after the second. there are beaters that can get peppered with shot.
- never bring your dog unless it is ok`d by the shoot captain. excited untrained dogs run off and flush birds away from the line.
-tip your keeper.
-knowing the shoot contract can save money and "sillyness" learn the lingo. cartridge to kill ratio is very important in knowing, it can set out your pace for the whole day, and for finishing early / late depending on the time of year. (darkness).
- know the overage rate which is another purchase agreement, say a 500 bird day is completed and the abligatory 10% overage for honorable sporting gentlemen. thats 550 birds but actually the first purchase contract of 500 "give or take" (it is so the drives are not stopped in mid flow). after that is completed all teams and guns will be told its x price per bird after that. if you want to participate its up to you. but you are shooting as a team.
-this cartridge to kill ratio is there to protect the establishment side of the contract. say it is a 6:1 ratio. 3000 cartridges are spent, the team has completed its contract. even if no birds are shot. because there have been 3000 sporting chances where the shotgun has beed discharged.
- dont be the guy who rocks up to a shoot late. that is really bad form.
- dont shoot pigeons in favour of gamebirds. it will get noted, while not illegal, its not done on big shoots. small ones maybe.
i was on the line, and the guy (16yr old) next to me decided to engage a pigeon, at 100 yards with a 20bore. spooked all the flushing birds, and they just ran and flushed too close. so no birds were shot on that drive.
-you are there to have fun, try and dress suitable. its now in the day and age where everything is recorded.
- dont shoot birds too close, its "sporting targets". it is frowned upon if you shoot too close and pillowcase everything. all the birds go in a food chain, thats pie filler.
- talk to your team, they are people too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:02 am 
Presentation Grade

I wonder if he cheats/lies when he shoots pheasants?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:46 am 
Diamond Grade

Driven pheasants are the epitome of game shooting and I was lucky enough to do a lot of it in my younger days when I lived in Scotland. Yes, it's very expensive mainly because of the cost of rearing the birds. If you beat and pick up at the shoots you can be lucky enough to be invited to the "keepers day" at the end of the season where you can shoot driven birds free of charge. There's nothing like it and I still miss the pomp, ceremony and excitement of it all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Cookoff013, thank you for taking the time to explain some of the ins and outs of a driven shoot. Knowing the rules and etiquette of an event is always important.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Boomhand wrote:
I wonder if he cheats/lies when he shoots pheasants?

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:11 pm 
Crown Grade

smoke ball wrote:
Cookoff013, thank you for taking the time to explain some of the ins and outs of a driven shoot. Knowing the rules and etiquette of an event is always important.

It doesn't seem like knowing the rules and etiquette of an English driven pheasant shoot is particularly important for the sporting clays forum.