ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This is what happened to me
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:37 am 
Field Grade

I got into shotgun shooting at 35, I'm 40 now. I started with trap and soon got into a little bit of everything. Duck hunting, 5 stand, SC, pheasant hunting, and practice only on the skeet course(never shot a full round there). I've bought a lot of shotgun books, read a lot online, online videos, a few professional lesson, etc. I love sporting clays, and shoot at 5 different clubs around me (MN/WI area). I do several leagues, and a few tournaments, although I'm not a member of the NSCA. I enjoy clay shooting so much, and although tough targets frustrate me, I love the challenge of trying to figure them out. As much as I LOVE sporting clays, the number one goal on my list is trying to bag a few wild pheasants for me and my dog. With that in mind starting in September I put the O/U away and only shoot my field gun for all clay games. After doing some research it seems that for most all pheasant shots the techniques used are either swing through or instinctive/churchill method. So I told myself that is all I will use starting in September. Also I went to exclusively low gun/fitasc style mount. I can tell you initially my scores suffered in a big way, mainly due to going from a cheat mount to low gun. But in the last few weeks my scores have come back, and even improved in some cases. I mainly had used pull away and for really fast/angled targets maintained. I still believe these methods are great, but I can't believe how comfortable I've become with swing thru and how good my shooting has been with it. I'm not sure if this is rare or not, but I tend to rush things and with maintain or pull away it seems as though I lead too much and shoot in front of many targets. With swing through as long as my hand speed is in concert with the target I have shot very good. My wild bird shooting has improved as well. I'm not a masterclass shooter, and might not ever be, but I do love shotgunning and always try to improve my game in any way possible. I realize that this is a sport where it's not the destination but the journey, and man oh man do I love the journey. I hope that as pheasant season progresses I knock down a few more roosters for my beautiful dog, and that when it's over my score cards have a trend in the right direction. I'm not sure if I'll be a swing-thru, pull away, maintain, or some combination thereof, but either way if I have a gun in my hands and am learning I'm happy.

Post subject: Re: This is what happened to me
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Certainly you are not a Master class shooter. You aren't any "class" shooter b/c you are not in NSCA and competing.

But maybe you are on the way to being a Master class learner. You should learn to shoot all the "methods" and sub-sets of them that feel good to you. B/c you will not know til you get to a new course what will work for you that day. The difference between a M class shooter and a more modest class shooter is that when a plan fails , the M class shooter will change the plan and not try to micro-tweak the visual lead used on the missed target.Learn to learn why you missed.

Also , stop saying I missed due to my chokes , shells , gun , hat , sunscreen , IQ, etc. Make every miss your fault...poor plan , poor execution, poor form. Only you must shoulder the gun and the fault.

And remember the #1 rule....When I practice & the more I practice , on tournament day I am luckier.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:42 am 
Crown Grade

Life of Riley wrote:
I got into shotgun shooting at 35, I'm 40 now. I started with trap and soon got into a little bit of everything. Duck hunting, 5 stand, SC, pheasant hunting, and practice only on the skeet course(never shot a full round there). I've bought a lot of shotgun books, read a lot online, online videos, a few professional lesson, etc. I love sporting clays, and shoot at 5 different clubs around me (MN/WI area). I do several leagues, and a few tournaments, although I'm not a member of the NSCA. I enjoy clay shooting so much, and although tough targets frustrate me, I love the challenge of trying to figure them out. As much as I LOVE sporting clays, the number one goal on my list is trying to bag a few wild pheasants for me and my dog. With that in mind starting in September I put the O/U away and only shoot my field gun for all clay games. After doing some research it seems that for most all pheasant shots the techniques used are either swing through or instinctive/churchill method. So I told myself that is all I will use starting in September. Also I went to exclusively low gun/fitasc style mount. I can tell you initially my scores suffered in a big way, mainly due to going from a cheat mount to low gun. But in the last few weeks my scores have come back, and even improved in some cases. I mainly had used pull away and for really fast/angled targets maintained. I still believe these methods are great, but I can't believe how comfortable I've become with swing thru and how good my shooting has been with it. I'm not sure if this is rare or not, but I tend to rush things and with maintain or pull away it seems as though I lead too much and shoot in front of many targets. With swing through as long as my hand speed is in concert with the target I have shot very good. My wild bird shooting has improved as well. I'm not a masterclass shooter, and might not ever be, but I do love shotgunning and always try to improve my game in any way possible. I realize that this is a sport where it's not the destination but the journey, and man oh man do I love the journey. I hope that as pheasant season progresses I knock down a few more roosters for my beautiful dog, and that when it's over my score cards have a trend in the right direction. I'm not sure if I'll be a swing-thru, pull away, maintain, or some combination thereof, but either way if I have a gun in my hands and am learning I'm happy.

Doing all this, which is great by the way, with your L4S?

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:07 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't hunt as much as I used to or like to, but since I started shooting clays, I have noticed my wing shooting vastly improve, even though I normally shoot a premount, or soft mount when shooting clays.

After shooting a screaming midi or battue target, a pheasant on the rise looks like a b-52 taking off.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:09 am 
Field Grade

xsshooter wrote:
After shooting a screaming midi or battue target, a pheasant on the rise looks like a b-52 taking off.

This explains a lot, as I've shot in front of more than a few roosters in the last 12 months trying to pull away on them. The low gun swing/thru and or instinctive method is helping with that. And yes Tide, this has mainly been with my Fab L4s and also my M2 duck gun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:47 am 
Crown Grade

Most of the time when bird hunting I'm coming from behind them, butt, bird, beak, bang. I try to consciously use that swing through method.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.