ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deep Primers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Just got in a couple of flats of Federal paper shells and noticed that the primers seem to be kinda deep. Anyone else notice this lately ? This is compared to my last five or so flats.

Post subject: Re: Deep Primers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

I haven't shot any "papers" for a long time but the regular Federal and now the Estate made in USA all have DEEP primers!
Deep enough that my 625 Brownings and my grandson's CXS will misfire on the bottom barrel. Enough of a problem that I no longer buy them!
pk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:53 am 
Field Grade

Interesting info on your CXS...I purchased a used 20ga CXS recently and was a bit shocked when I had one or two misfires in about 50 strikes on my bottom barrel with Estates. No problems with other shells.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:37 am 
Limited Edition

PKW-Indiana wrote:
I haven't shot any "papers" for a long time but the regular Federal and now the Estate made in USA all have DEEP primers!
Deep enough that my 625 Brownings and my grandson's CXS will misfire on the bottom barrel. Enough of a problem that I no longer buy them!
pk

I have had the same problem, I have no problem with any other brand, or the Federal Gold Medal (white hull). Was thinking my old 525 was the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Imho, there are two problems here:

First is the design of the lower barrel firing pin on almost all Browning over/under shotguns.
The pin just does not extend far enough to reach those deep primer pockets.

Secondly, the original factory pins wear quickly when used on "harder" primers.

Not much you can do other than change that lower pin often and shoot different shells!

pk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

The lower pin on a Citori strikes the primer at a 45 degree angle from the top , not straight on like the upper barrel.

So the lower pin gets worn on the top of the nose of the pin especially with hard primers or primers that get pierced and have the hot gasses hit the pin.

About two years ago Browning started making their bottom pins about .015 inch longer and that has cured most of these problems. If your Citori is older than a couple years, changing the lower pin to a new one will probably cure the problem.

Changing the pin is very easy. Just take the stock off and tap out the small retaining pin that holds the firing pin in, and replace the lower pin. Be sure to clean out the channel the pin rides in and retain and reinstall the spring that keeps the lower pin in the receiver until the hammer hits it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Moocher hits the primer on the head with this one. It’s the gun more than the shell.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Get a set of J&P firing pins and springs will fix the problem and shoots like a new gun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:46 am 
Presentation Grade

Flor1 wrote:
Get a set of J&P firing pins and springs will fix the problem and shoots like a new gun.

Agreed, J&P fixed this problem years ago! Great product.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:58 am 
Diamond Grade

This was a great help to me when I had a Browning.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 12&t=89866

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:40 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Most, if not all shells made in Europe have a much harder skins on the top of the primer. I found this out many years ago after talking to Mike Hampton Sr about this problem. I agree that the Brownings do or did have a problem with deep set primers. I think this was caused by both a flaw with the firing pin and the overseas primers. I never had any problems with Winchester primers. I am glad that they have fixed the Browning guns. For the money, these are great guns.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:30 am 
Limited Edition

Just shot three boxes over the weekend and no problems so far.