ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choking for a new gun
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:57 pm 
Utility Grade

I am a 78 y.o. casual SC shooter that shoots 2-3x a week. I have a 29.5" Mirage (factory choked with barrels and chokes redone by Ken Eyster) and a 34" TM1 (factory chokes). To treat myself I just bought a new 8#4 oz 33" HTS Lusso with fixed .024/024 chokes. I absolutely love my new gun and while I am still learning am comfortable with how I shoot it. When I bought it I was aware the chokes were tight for my purposes and based on the 400 rounds I have down the tubes in the last 10 days that has been confirmed.

Today I took a trip to the pattern board with the 7/8 ounce 1150 fps Clever RX1 shells I am presently shooting and what I saw really got my attention. The good news is the gun shoots 50/50 where I look; the other news is at 16 yards the pattern is 8-10" in diameter. I was not able to step back to 30 yards because of a very wet field.

My thought is to send the barrels off to Briley for the 5 choke (.010/.015/.015/.020/.025) thinwall package. I shoot SC for fun in FL and MI and while I never will be a serious competitor, I know the higher my scores the more fun I have. I also am going to toy with trap doubles when we go north for the summer. Three questions: 1. Instead of thinwalls should I simply have the fixed chokes opened up to say .015/.020? 2. Will having Briley do this work enhance of reduce the value of this gun? and 3. Any other suggestions for the selection of chokes?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Post subject: Re: Choking for a new gun
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:39 pm 
Crown Grade

.024 constriction is basically a IMod. Certainly too tight for skeet and most 5 stands, but the trap shooters like tight chokes. So it really comes down to what game you are going to shoot. I believe .024 is too tight for most sporting presentations, not all, but most. At the end of the day to give you versatility and move from game to game, Briley Ti Thinwall Ext.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:53 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree that for casual sporting, you would be fine shooting more open than IM and you would have a more workable pattern in the 25-35 yards that the majority of sporting shots fall within. If you were competing in larger registered events there are more targets beyond the 35 yards as separator targets. Casual layouts will have a few testers but most will be intermediate or closer.

LM or .015 is an excellent sporting constriction that does a nice job even on the edgy presentations or getting out at 40 or so yards. With your 7/8 ounce shot payload, you want some choke to keep pattern density. I think .015 or certainly .020 would provide that.

If you like the feel of the gun with the fixed chokes, consider opening it up a little. .015 / .020 or both of either. The .020 would be better for use of the gun for trap.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:50 pm 
Field Grade

If it were me I would have the chokes opened up to .015 and .020 shoot it a while to see if you like it. If not you would only be out about $200,if you choke tube it later.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I’d go .015” in the bottom, leave the top for a while. .012/.024/5 are stupid fun chokes for sporting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:19 pm 
Utility Grade

JoM wrote:
If it were me I would have the chokes opened up to .015 and .020 shoot it a while to see if you like it. If not you would only be out about $200,if you choke tube it later.

Interesting you would say that. Took a lesson today and the coach did a bunch of calling around for me. You gave exactly on the advice I was given and likely what I will do. Better yet, because I bought the gun new, the dealer will take responsibility for the cost of having Perazzi open the chokes up.

Last edited by castnblast2 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Zoli’s default for a fixed-choke sporting gun is .018/.022. Krieghoff’s is .020/.025.
If it were me, I’d probably open the bottom barrel to .020 and leave the top one alone.

Be certain about what you want before you act; once you take it out, you can’t put it back.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:38 pm 
Crown Grade

.024 is a great choke IF you also like to shoot further targets like Fitasc; otherwise, just have them opened up for grins and giggles to .015 each

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:00 am 
Field Grade

Kory Kruse uses 0.17 in both barrels. For sporting there really is not any presentation that you need tighter than that. I would do 0.15 in both, but if for some reason you feel the need to have one tighter than the other then 0.15 and 0.2 would be okay as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It boils down to what YOU feel comfortable with :) Just speaking for myself and I was in your position I would go with .17 and .22

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:22 am 
Presentation Grade

I’m shooing a fixed MX2000 16/22 and a thin walled MX8. I find myself preferring the fixed choke gun for sporting and use the thin walled gun for the occasional round of skeet. I don’t spend any mental energy on choke choice and put my focus on planning and executing the shot. If 7/8s is your load of choice .20 will work well out to 40 with diminishing returns any farther. The thin walled gun patterns slightly more open with a pair of LMs .15 but is more versatile and will throw a tight enough pattern with imod .25 for trap.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:01 pm 
Field Grade

That sounds like a nice shotgun C&B. I've converted an older MX8 trap doubles gun for my sporting clays gun. After the stock work I shot it for a while with the .020 and .030 fixed chokes and decided the full was too tight. I opened the top barrel to .020 and shot it that way for a while. It was great for sporting but too tight for skeet (I shoot both).

My final mod on this gun was to send it to Briley for thin walls. I decided on 2-sk (.005), 2-lt mod (.015) and an I-mod (.025). I shoot the 2 .005's for skeet, the lt mods for 90% of my sporting and the I-mod for the occasional long target. I'm quite pleased with this setup.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:12 pm 
Limited Edition

castnblast2,
I too have a Perazzi high tech S with 33" barrels. It was Briley thin walled by the original owner. When it arrived, it had two .015's screwed in. I have not changed them nor have I felt under choked on a full summer of competition targets. However, keep in mind I use premium ammo with hard shot which will hold a pattern a little tighter as well as 1-1-8 oz loads. Another point of note is Perazzi's tend to "shoot tighter" than their actual choke constriction.

Good luck, they are incredible shotguns with feel like no other in my opinion,
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:44 pm 
Limited Edition

I have an MX8 that is choked 16 and 24. My skeet scores are the same as they were with a skeet choked gun and I have never felt underchoked shooting Sporting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:24 pm 
Field Grade

castnblast2 wrote:
I am a 78 y.o. casual SC shooter that shoots 2-3x a week. I have a 29.5" Mirage (factory choked with barrels and chokes redone by Ken Eyster) and a 34" TM1 (factory chokes). To treat myself I just bought a new 8#4 oz 33" HTS Lusso with fixed .024/024 chokes. I absolutely love my new gun and while I am still learning am comfortable with how I shoot it. When I bought it I was aware the chokes were tight for my purposes and based on the 400 rounds I have down the tubes in the last 10 days that has been confirmed.

Today I took a trip to the pattern board with the 7/8 ounce 1150 fps Clever RX1 shells I am presently shooting and what I saw really got my attention. The good news is the gun shoots 50/50 where I look; the other news is at 16 yards the pattern is 8-10" in diameter. I was not able to step back to 30 yards because of a very wet field.

My thought is to send the barrels off to Briley for the 5 choke (.010/.015/.015/.020/.025) thinwall package. I shoot SC for fun in FL and MI and while I never will be a serious competitor, I know the higher my scores the more fun I have. I also am going to toy with trap doubles when we go north for the summer. Three questions: 1. Instead of thinwalls should I simply have the fixed chokes opened up to say .015/.020? 2. Will having Briley do this work enhance of reduce the value of this gun? and 3. Any other suggestions for the selection of chokes?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Happy Sunday. I rarely post but saw your thread about changing your .24 fixed chokes. If I were you, I would leave them alone. .24 is a good fixed choke for that gun for all disciplines. I also have a fixed Perazzi with even tighter chokes. Try using different brands of shells, 7/8 and 1 oz, shell speed fps and 8 or 7 1/2 shot at different types of targets instead of the patterning board. You may find surprising results. Taking a chance on putting chokes in that perazzi fixed barrel or grinding them down without giving it a year or two of serious practice and play is potential for regret. Especially if the job is not done correctly or to your expectations which sometimes happens even with the best company whoever you may choose to do the work. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DKW1 wrote:
I have an MX8 that is choked 16 and 24. My skeet scores are the same as they were with a skeet choked gun and I have never felt underchoked shooting Sporting.

Shot placement is King always has been always will be. :wink:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:29 am 
Utility Grade

I have a Perazzi High Tech Lusso 34” fixed choke 20/24.
I would not want anything less than 20 for a first barrel in any fixed choke configuration for sporting or especially Fitasc. Perazzi fixed choke guns pattern very efficiently and the top barrel will break any clay bird thrown any where.
I am not a fan of thin walls.
Corey shoots chokes that are labeled 17 but pattern closer to 20.

Best of luck. Incredible gun.
David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:38 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a 33” mx2000 with thinwalls and only remove the LM / Mod for greasing 1x a year. I use a handful of spreaders for super close targets.

My next Perazzi barrels will be under 1530 grams and fixed at 17/22.

DL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'd go w/ Briley thinwalls. Who knows , you might be invited to shoot Olympic trap or helice or pigeons and you'll need a 25 and 30 (or 35). I like to use my guns for everything.

My MX 8 and my High Tech have choke tubes..

My wife and I have several Perazzis between us. Both of hers have Briley thinwalls as does one of mine.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:20 am 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
I'd go w/ Briley thinwalls. Who knows , you might be invited to shoot Olympic trap or helice or pigeons and you'll need a 25 and 30 (or 35). I like to use my guns for everything.

My MX 8 and my High Tech have choke tubes..

My wife and I have several Perazzis between us. Both of hers have Briley thinwalls as does one of mine.

Sera, did you go with thin-wall extended or flush mount, and have you experienced any fragility issues with them?