ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Choking for a new gun
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thinwall extended. One of Ann's is flush mount and one is extended.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks Sera, thinking about thin-walls for a Parcours and wondered if there was any advantage flush vs. extended.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The advantage to extended is you can hand-tighten them + you know what you have in (I'm subject to forgetting.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Flush Briley thinwalls weigh a whopping .2 oz less than the regular extended -- so you can save almost ½ oz at the end of your barrel if that's critical to you. Both pattern equally well. So it's about weight, appearance and visibility. Like Sera, I chose visibility for my 34" parcours thinwalling even though I don't change chokes very often -- it's just comforting to know at a glance what's in there, and being able to reach down and feel they're still tight (even though I use the wrench) as I step into the cage.

Ironically for myself, one thing I have noticed is now I will go ahead and actually screw in a Sk choke for something stupid close -- with my flush-choked barrel, I tended to "forget" about chokes altogether and just shot, or occasionally grabbed a spreader load if something was stupid close. Not yet 100% certain which is the better philosophy...

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:29 am 
Diamond Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
I agree that for casual sporting, you would be fine shooting more open than IM and you would have a more workable pattern in the 25-35 yards that the majority of sporting shots fall within. If you were competing in larger registered events there are more targets beyond the 35 yards as separator targets. Casual layouts will have a few testers but most will be intermediate or closer.

LM or .015 is an excellent sporting constriction that does a nice job even on the edgy presentations or getting out at 40 or so yards. With your 7/8 ounce shot payload, you want some choke to keep pattern density. I think .015 or certainly .020 would provide that.

If you like the feel of the gun with the fixed chokes, consider opening it up a little. .015 / .020 or both of either. The .020 would be better for use of the gun for trap.

This is good advice.