ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is happening to this site ???????
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

And how many times can the same questions be answered ?

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:55 pm 
Crown Grade

jwgworld wrote:
drawdc wrote:
dogchaser37 wrote:
There is more on Facebook. Clay Shooting and American Field Sporting are just two of the groups. Not a lot of bickering, nice photos and good posts.

But a lot of really bad advice.

Which is usually corrected pretty quickly by more knowledgeable people.

Facebook in general is a cesspool, but there are three clay shooting pages that I find worthwhile, two of which are moderated by people who used to be frequent posters here. The FB pages don't seem to attract as many self-important blowhards as SGW, probably because it's harder to be anonymous there. That said, I regard the FB pages as an addition, not a replacement. I still enjoy SGW and find it to be a good source of information most of the time.

I have found most bad advice on the Facebook pages you have mentioned is followed by more bad advice and then someone trying to sell something.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Does anyone else see the irony in a three page thread with lots of activity, about a website that doesn't have much activity?

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes

- James Tiberius Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:57 pm 
Crown Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
Does anyone else see the irony in a three page thread with lots of activity, about a website that doesn't have much activity?

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes

- James Tiberius Kirk

And one that the OP has not come back to and contributed.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:32 pm 
Limited Edition

I am the OP and have not gotten back because still waiting for the thoughts of others. I have my ideas and when this tread takes it course will chime in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:58 am 
Presentation Grade

Hmm. Do not understand why folks get wound up over basic simple questions. If the topic reads with a basic simple question one finds utterly dumb.....don't click on it.

If a basic simple question comes up during a thread that irritates you, just skip it. Let a helpful person take over.

If something is irritating one, just move on. This is to be for entertainment and education. Building relationships, if one so chooses.

There is a off button.

Relationships vary and is way different in the real world vs the screen. Some like to push buttons, some like to help, some like to be recognized, some recognized for people they are not. Anyhow, its for entertainment so when activity is low.....IMO, it isn't entertaining so much.

When the jokesters take the thread over, or folks selling something, or giving their resume for 10k time, that when I hit the off button. I do appreciate hearing from folks from around the country I've met, as well as the local shooters I hear from on this site as well as the opportunity to discuss my passion and form relationships with people I may never get to meet in person.

Last edited by bdog58 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Amen! You wouldn’t believe how many of my friends get all worked up about Facebook and then talk about it all day long! Then what do they do? They go right back to Facebook for more! Unbelievable!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:43 am 
Crown Grade

Yeah, I try not to let anonymous postings from some guy living in Sparkplug Arkansas bother me :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 am 
Presentation Grade

bdog58 wrote:
Hmm. Do not understand why folks get wound up over basic simple questions. If the topic reads with a basic simple question one finds utterly dumb.....don't click on it.

If a basic simple question comes up during a thread that irritates you, just skip it. Let a helpful person take over.

If something is irritating one, just move on. This is to be for entertainment and education. Building relationships, if one so chooses.

There is a off button.

Relationships vary and is way different in the real world vs the screen. Some like to push buttons, some like to help, some like to be recognized, some recognized for people they are not. Anyhow, its for entertainment so when activity is low.....IMO, it isn't entertaining so much.

When the jokesters take the thread over, or folks selling something, or giving their resume for 10k time, that when I hit the off button. I do appreciate hearing from folks from around the country I've met, as well as the local shooters I hear from on this site as well as the opportunity to discuss my passion and form relationships with people I may never get to meet in person.

I don't understand the angst about humor in the forum. Maybe you're talking about me. If you are, let me know it isn't appreciated and I'll knock it off or leave. My choice. I'm a big boy.
Are people on this board so cranky that humor isn't allowed or am I reading this wrong? I'm here to interact and learn from the more (and sometimes less) experienced shooters here. Humor is (or should be) part of human interaction.
Just my humble opinion.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

Last edited by T-Pee on Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know that Facebook has the most snarky posters. The guys here are softies compared.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:08 am 
Crown Grade

When I was working our employees had FB fights, name calling, accusations, etc. HR was fit to be tied trying to handle it. They finally had to come out with a FB policy. LMAO

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:33 am 
Limited Edition

T-Pee wrote:
I don't understand the angst about humor in the forum

Some just don't recognize that it was intended to be humor......they just "don't get it".

Best to add a :D or :) or :lol: or :wink: so they "get it", or at least have a warning that it was intended as humor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

The constant web page redirects don't help either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What’s wrong with a little humor? Or a lot? If it comes at someone’s expense just laugh along with the rest. It wasn’t meant with malice in all likelihood. Someone just found weakness in the armor.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:54 am 
Crown Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
T-Pee wrote:
I don't understand the angst about humor in the forum

Some just don't recognize that it was intended to be humor......they just "don't get it".

Best to add a :D or :) or :lol: or :wink: so they "get it", or at least have a warning that it was intended as humor.

So when someone comes here looking for information on subject "XYZ" and a simple Google search turns up tons of info on the subject (which I post links to) I should not close out my post with "Google is your friend" without an emoji because they can't see the humor OR do their own research?? Its time to put your big boy pants on.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:20 pm 
Crown Grade

YevetS wrote:
?? Its time to put your big boy pants on.

Steve

It's cute you think I'm wearing pants :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
YevetS wrote:
?? Its time to put your big boy pants on.

Steve

It's cute you think I'm wearing pants :)

Why? Are you wearing a skirt? I'm not gonna judge. :wink:

tp (and a "just in case" emoji)

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Re: What is happening to this site ???????

YevetS wrote:
Its time to put your big boy pants on.

Too much of this ^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:26 pm 
Field Grade

I'd say that FB is hurting this site the most. People will travel to whatever medium the top individuals in the sport are interacting on and that happens to be FB more than this site. The top folks have businesses to support and the largest reach potential and active user base is FB, so they migrate over slowly. Hopefully, their reach and presence spreads and that generates more income opportunities. At a point that was probably on here, now they see better opportunity on FB so the crowd follows.

There is a ton of information on the site if you dont mind digging through old threads. The site is clunky to navigate which probably hurts as well. I like reading threads on here but don't really care to interact that much in them.

NSCA#684007

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Some inflated ego's on here that opine about trivial nonsense has chased many good posters away. Too many nasty personal attacks when someone has a differing opinion or observation. Pretty much a reflection of our world as we know it today. The ignore feature is your friend.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next