ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Semi-Auto shooters.. 1 1/8 oz...?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:27 pm 
Field Grade

Who would want a definitive answer? That would take away all the fun.

So many ways to look at it. For me

1 1/8th at a lower velocity is pretty manageable 1150. At 1235 you feel it. At 1300 takes you mind off the target

1 oz at 1150 zero recoil, 1290 is fine. I reload 1 oz 1250 7.5 as my all around load and they crush long ones off of a tower.

Most of the older guys I shoot with, really good shots, are 1150 1 oz. 7.5s for the recoil reduction
They have had enough. YMMV

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

7/8th oz 1350's I love em..........when I miss it's not the load, it's not what's in the package, it's where you send it!

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:02 am 
Crown Grade

It’s fun and always a good read to see what other shooters use for loads and why.

But the bottom line in terms of what is best for the individual shooter is something that only he or she can find the answer to by trial and error, and getting out there and seeing for yourself.

What works best for someone else really has limited, if any, value.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:05 am 
Limited Edition

Mule Driver wrote:
It’s fun and always a good read to see what other shooters use for loads and why.

But the bottom line in terms of what is best for the individual shooter is something that only he or she can find the answer to by trial and error, and getting out there and seeing for yourself.

Especially if you are stubborn. With an open mind, however, what works best for others can often have tremendous value for you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This has nothing to do with being stubborn.

It has everything to do with bringing the best tools to get the job done.

Whether folks like it or not a 1 1/8 oz. load, IF you can handle the recoil has an advantage, however small, over lighter loads.

IF you can handle the recoil that is the load you want to use IF you want to break every target you properly point.

There are a lot of IF's involved.

This is kinda like having a race car that has 10 more horsepower than everyone else's car. Can you get it hooked up and do you have the ability to use it? Lot's of if's.

Stubborn has nothing to do with it.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:24 pm 
Crown Grade

friend of a friend wrote:
Mule Driver wrote:

Especially if you are stubborn. With an open mind, however, what works best for others can often have tremendous value for you.

Nothing to do with being stubborn.

What works for others can put you in the ballpark, but I believe one needs to do their own grunt work and have your previously mentioned open mind, and fine tune what really works best for them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:46 am 
Field Grade

If you were to take 100 registered shooters with an even split between C class to master class and have them shoot a round of sporting clays with 1oz loads and a round with 1 1/8th oz loads with equal velocity I would place money on the 1oz loads having a higher total broken clay count. However the single HOA score would likely be with the 1 1/8th.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:40 am 
Limited Edition

Lacyb wrote:
If you were to take 100 registered shooters with an even split between C class to master class and have them shoot a round of sporting clays with 1oz loads and a round with 1 1/8th oz loads with equal velocity I would place money on the 1oz loads having a higher total broken clay count. However the single HOA score would likely be with the 1 1/8th.

I would not bet either way. But I would be genuinely interested in the outcome if the study was completed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Lacyb wrote:

Are the 1 1/8 oz shooters all using semi-autos?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:21 pm 
Field Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Lacyb wrote:

Are the 1 1/8 oz shooters all using semi-autos?

In my hypothetical they would be shooting what ever they normally shoot so a mix of Semis and O/U. Much of the conversation has diverged from the OP of being specific to Semi Autos. If everyone was using semi's I would no longer put money on the 1oz. I think it could go either way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:39 pm 
Crown Grade

I honestly and truly believe that when a shooter gets to the point that he establishes in his own mind what works for him in terms of gun, load, chokes — and anything else — and really couldn’t care less what anyone else uses or does, he’s in a very good place to shoot his best.

Worrying about someone else’s equipment isn’t going to be very productive in the long run. Put in the time and effort and find out what works best for you, and not give what someone else is using a split second of thought.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:50 am 
Presentation Grade

friend of a friend wrote:

Berto, are you feeling okay? I think your SGW account may have been hacked.

I wouldn’t panic. Whoever has your username and password is making more sense, probably should just let him/her keep up the good work.

Last edited by AZ Dutch on Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mule Driver,

You are absolutely correct.

The right equipment should be in place, as a given, with complete confidence, to the point of not being a thought in your mind at any time during an event.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:42 pm 
Limited Edition

Thank you all for 5 pages of comments! As the OP, I certainly didn’t think this would create this much attention. Although, probably only 30% or less who responded are semi-auto shooters.

I’ve shot several Beretta O/Us and 391s over my 5 years of NSCA competition. Just this year, I rotated between the O/U and the Semi...(not recommended!,) but,I just had to scratch that O/U itch...

In my O/U, I shot 1oz, 1200FPS...No problem with recoil... With my Beretta 391, I’m shooting the Remington Nitro, 1 1/8oz, 1235 FPS, 200 to 250 shells aren’t a problem. Too bad they are hard to find at the moment.....My score difference was negligible between the two....

JML

Last edited by jml on Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bigger better ask your wife .

Ok I’m kidding.........

:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:59 pm 
Limited Edition

Here it is folks

Quote:
.My score difference was negligible between the two....

To each their own