ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recent Changes at Blackjack Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:26 pm 
Crown Grade

For those who already haven't heard:

Dear Blackjack Community:

As a valued member of Blackjack Sporting Clays we felt it is prudent to formally announce some changes that are occurring at our facility. While it is not appropriate to get into specifics, please note that Dale Walker is no longer with Blackjack Sporting Clays as of December 7, 2020.

As owners of Blackjack we are committed to preserving the exceptional sporting clays experience that you’ve become accustomed to at our facilities. We are confident that our recent administrative and operational changes ensure a smooth transition forward.

Andrea McHugh is the new General Manager and any questions you have should be directed to her. With any transition there may be some challenges along the way. Please bear with us in this time of change. We look forward to continuing to grow our business and provide the best sporting clay shooting experience for all of you.

Best Regards,

Scott Lanker, Owner
Gradon Willard, Owner

Our mailing address is:
PO Box 261
Sumterville, FL 33585

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Post subject: Re: Recent Changes at Blackjack Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:55 am 
Tournament Grade

Hopefully things will be better, the experience wasnt great before and until you hire someone with gun club experience I have my doubts.
I'm not sure that you have a good grasp of the market. The attendance has been growing from the villages and new shooters in the area, but what you dont see is that the serious shooters ( guys who shoot 500-1000 targets a week) wont/dont come there because the target quality isn't there, the traps arent well maintained (empty,batteries dead, card readers broken,ect).
I feel that you need to reach out to your peers say quail creek, bradford,and south florida for advice. These places will help you and be happy to do it. I also believe you will need someone with experience to manage the club( I acknowledge that it will be hard to trust anyone after your first experience) but the young lady has no clue how run a gun club and your outside help are good workers but they have no experience either.
I also think that inside the state of florida your choice is very limited maybe only 1 or 2 people, so look outside the state, again ask for help Tim Miles, Rick Hemingway and others will help just ask.

I appreciate the extraordinary good will you put forward with your state shoot. I truly wish you good luck moving forward and hopefully you'll take advice this time

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Wait, the new general manager doesn't have gun club management experience? What did she do prior?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Pray tell us PM30 how many $1million clubs have you managed ?

I have never been there but others opinion of the club are markedly different to yours and you are comparing them to clubs open for 20+ years

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:37 pm 
Crown Grade

All of the equipment was brand new when it opened; the owners spent a LOT making it a nice place. If things got run down out there the last few months, then it was because the issue with Dale was already underway and his focus was elsewhere.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:52 pm 
Utility Grade

For the last couple years I've shot at Blackjack numerous times.This past year,I've probably shot their at least twice a week,and shot just about every n.s.c.a. tournament they've had. I think the league they have is great,one week will be hard targets and the next will be on the easier side.Do you find a machine with a dead battery once in a while,yes.Call the clubhouse,and in a couple of minutes,Joe is out there with a fresh one.Do you find a machine breaking targets,yes,call the clubhouse and Joe is their.However, it's pretty rare for that to happen,as many times as I have shot their.And every club I've ever been to, occasionally, will have a machine breaking targets.And that includes Bradford,T.B.S.C., Fishhawk,OK, South Florida, Sarasota,any in the country.I've been shooting sporting since 1992,and Blackjack is doing a great job,and I'am confident it will only get better.As long as they don't bring in the one person I've heard is trying to weasel his way in their.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Give Andrea McHugh a chance!! There had been problems with course attendants and office staff (other than Walker) as of a few months ago. I found Employment Ads for course attendant jobs at Blackjack paying $10-12 an hour to take care of the machines and they can be trained by the other attendants. I can't imagine the owners would be happy about paying manager wages for someone to be loading traps. I am completely confident that Andrea, or any other intelligent person, can easily be trained by the owners to follow the existing audit/control procedures. rs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:57 am 
Field Grade

I’ve only shot there twice. The blackjack open Jan 2020 and the FL state shoot a few weeks back. We had a great experience both times. Obviously those are big events, but the staff was great, targets were great. Absolutely nothing to complain about.

I wish them all luck. I was hoping they would have another event at the end of Jan but unfortunately not.

Every time I will be in the Tampa area I plan on checking to see if they have a shoot going on...and I’m coming from MI. I’d recommend everyone give them a try if they are in the area.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:06 am 
Presentation Grade

Many tournament shooters believe they are the only shooters who should have a say in how targets are set because they shoot a lot of targets. Clubs need to find a balance between challenging targets and setting targets the recreational shooter can hit. Shooting should be fun and if recreational shooters don’t hit targets it’s not. Every recreational shooter should be welcomed and encouraged because in the bigger scheme of things they are an advocate for recreational firearms use.

If clubs have limited space and equipment and they can’t set courses of different difficulty, it behooves them to set different shooting positions on the same station to change how difficult the targets are. Making them more difficult for experienced shooters.

Give the woman a chance, a willingness to learn, good people skills, and a good work effort may make her an excellent manager.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:20 pm 
Limited Edition

I think it is pretty obvious you have never even been to their website, never mind the ground

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:43 pm 
Crown Grade

https://www.blackjackclays.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

as someone that works in the website industry.......banging site.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:33 am 
Diamond Grade

In Florida there is a few good target setters. Black Jack certainly can get someone especially setting the big shoots, but also come and set the courses for them. With the amount of investment in the club, getting someone be a non issue....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:40 am 
Crown Grade

gdub41 wrote:
as someone that works in the website industry.......banging site.

...Located just one hour north of Orlando...

It's almost like they want people to know where they are, and come and visit them?

Is that even allowed in sporting clays? :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

if gun clubs want people to show up and shoot, they can't rely on word of mouth anymore, they have to advertise the shoot, they have to make sure people know about it on all social media platforms, when a young shooter is on a website, they want to know the following almost instantly.

1.where is it
2.what events
3.what are the prices for events
4.how can I squad on my phone and or other mobile/smart device

If you list all of that on the home page with less then two clicks to achieve any of that information you are in good shape. If not.....step your digital game up.

NSCA#620844

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:26 pm 
Crown Grade

gdub41 wrote:
if gun clubs want people to show up and shoot, they can't rely on word of mouth anymore, they have to advertise the shoot, they have to make sure people know about it on all social media platforms, when a young shooter is on a website, they want to know the following almost instantly.

1.where is it
2.what events

If you list all of that on the home page with less then two clicks to achieve any of that information you are in good shape. If not.....step your digital game up.

5. We don't embrace technology, it's the devil's work?

:)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
gdub41 wrote:

1.where is it
2.what events

5. We don't embrace technology, it's the devil's work?

:)

Right......forgot that one. I just cringe when I hear people say "I didn't even know they had a shoot" or "I didn't even know they were a gun club throwing sporting clays" the internet can be a dangerous place when used incorrectly, when used though with the right adult supervision, it can really be a wonderful thing.

NSCA#620844

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:02 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I was trying to identify YRS's most endearing feature

Same jokes repeated year after rear (broomstick)

Inability to see that an IPad on every station have no financial value to sporting gun clubs but he keeps on beating it to death

Always chiming in about web sites at clubs, even though that was not what the OP was about?

What do you think?

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Roger Gascoigne wrote:
I was trying to identify YRS's most endearing feature

Same jokes repeated year after rear (broomstick)

Inability to see that an IPad on every station have no financial value to sporting gun clubs but he keeps on beating it to death

Always chiming in about web sites at clubs, even though that was not what the OP was about?

What do you think?

I think if we get rid of everyone who is a touch odd, you would be lonely on this site.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:40 pm 
Crown Grade

‘A touch’?:-)