ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cart advice
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

My son and I would like to start shooting some tournaments in 2021. I have been trying to pull the trigger on a buggy for some time but cannot make up my mind on the cart vs UTV debate.

Have anyone used or seen in use a Yamaha UMAX?

It seems like this could be a little roomier and more powerful than a cart but still offer step in and go convenience. The price would be 3-5k more than a used cart depending on the price of the cart and 3-5 less than an UTV depending on age and model.

I have seen at least one Club that uses a different model UMAX with a rear facing golf cart seat. The rear seat is not covered and it does not have the storage space between the seats.

I like the idea of a Pioneer 1000-5 but if we have a full squad the rear seat would be very small. Also depending on options the Pioneer could be as much as $8,000 more than the UMAX but it could be used off-road and hunting.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Cart advice
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Many different kinds of carts are used for sporting clays. Each person just needs to determine what will suit their needs best and what other activities, if any, that they are going to use the cart for.

A cart that may be perfect for one person may be totally inappropriate for someone else who has different needs. In some situations, a simple golf cart with a couple of gun racks on it will do just fine. Other people might find that totally worthless to meet their needs and would need to spend much more money to buy more of an all terrain type vehicle to meet more demanding conditions.

So, it all depends on what you want and how much you're willing to spend.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Wife and I beat ourselves and our backs up with modified golf varts. Came to our senses and bought this. Best riding and driving utv extant, plenty powerful as well:
https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/side-x-s ... RO-FXT-EPS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Or you can go all the way.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Keperkey,

It is impossible for me to advise you on what you need or want. I'll just share with you my experiences.

First of I am in Colorado at 7,000'. I travel as far as eastern Kansas, as far south as the nationals in San Antonio and Tucson. As far west as Las Vegas and as far north as Montana and dern near everywhere in-between, so far;^)

I started with a rugged gear push cart. I then started using my Kawasaki Teryx, a 2011 and then another one, a 2015. I discovered Clays in 2013. Both were in the area of 1500 lbs gvw. Then I went to a dedicated lifted gas EZGO sporting clays cart at approx 900 pounds. Most of my towing was in my Toy hauler but some was in one of my utility trailers. I also on occasion took my full size Polaris Ranger on a trailer.

Last year, after the two previous years at Nationals with the mud, rain, mud and did I say mud(!) I decided there had to be better option. Add in the long hauls at Flint Oak (Kansas) and Clark County (Las Vegas), I decided the EZGO was never going to survive even if I managed to :^) After much research, spread sheets, weights, performance, costs, yada yada yada, I sprung for the Honda Pioneer 500. I think it is the Cat's Meow for all things sporting clays. It weighs 1025 pound out of the box. After a windshield, front basket and a great days gun rack along with a fabric cabin it now weighs 1100 pounds.

The real transmissions in the Honda(s) makes all other options less desirable. I am already lusting after a Talon for strictly Hoo-Rah stuff. The 500 is really only a two seater but can easily handle the gear for many more.

No idea on how to send pictures via SGW but would have no problems texting you a few.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:34 am 
Limited Edition

I too started walking, ezgo, lifted, covered then to a Polaris 500, put a cover on it. Then my girl friend started shooting with me at every tournament which is almost every weekend so she demanded more comfort on hot and cold days so I bought a Polaris northstar with heat and air. Have to admit it makes crappy days very tolerable
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=20 ... &FORM=VIRE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:29 pm 
Limited Edition

If you are just going to be using it for clays I would rather have just a golf cart. I know there are exceptions but 98% of the courses I go a cart works fine. If you are going to be using it for hunting or work on a farm , or anything else that you would encounter rough terrain then it’s a UTV all the way. Towing weight for a cart and an aluminum trailer is minimal and that’s nice. Also I have shot with other friends in their rigs and I really don’t care for having any type of door to deal with. Also as a side note , if you live close to salt water and get a cart get a Club Car as they have aluminum frames and won’t rust. Also get a gas cart , less trouble , no charging , no expense on batteries and a tank of gas lasts a very long time. Good luck with whatever you choose !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

I recently bought a Yamaha Wolverine that I use primarily around my land. However I’m also planning on using it for clays for the longer courses or those with lots of hills. I got the two seat version but they also have a 4 seater. The only downside is that it has doors and the driver’s side seatbelt has to be engaged or it will start screeching at you...wonderful machine though.
Mine is currently covered with mud and tree bark so I’d probably get thrown out of the nicer courses...
Cheers Gofer

Post subject: Cart advice
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

I shoot events in Md De and NJ. Golf cart is all I need. Have maybe $4k in mine. It’s a 2013 iirc.

Not sure you get much of note with that Yamaha rig. My ezgo has a rear seat and under that is a cubby that was a bag well and suits for a cooler or shells. Honestly think a gas cart is very tough to beat and assuming reasonable cart paths it is in fact the best option regardless of price.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Agree that there is no "right". Things to consider: Storage. Where the buggy lives when it's not at the range can matter. UTVs are longer, taller and often wider. Towage, see previous except cost is involved. Second life; what (if anything) will it be used for during the week? Finally, do you really want 4 (or more) seats? Sometimes it's nice NOT to have to carry folks around that you don't want to talk to, especially when there's tournament standing on the line. Finally, cost. You can go anywhere from a project golf cart that'll set you back $2500 and fits on a $1200 5' x 10' trailer to a $25,000 decked out Polaris that has to be hauled on a car-float. And all options in between. Most start small, then upgrade. But a few start off with the big toys and downsize. That's the beauty, it's up to you and pocketbook.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pin,

You are so right. I like my enclosed trailer for many reasons. It keeps my cart out of the weather and it gives me a place to store my cart. It is very nice on rainy days.

When I go to a big shoot I can put my cart in the trailer lock it up and never have to worry about it. It gives me a safe place for my cart when I stay at motel.

Polaris Ranger
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:26 am 
Limited Edition

The worst place in the whole world to ride or store gear at a sporting clays event is the rear facing seat of a 4-person cart. Dust City!! It may not be an issue on the manicured turf of a golf course but the gravel, sand, crushed limestone, sea shells, asphalt grindings, etc found on the many places I have shot clays makes you and your gear resemble a powdered sugar donut.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:02 am 
Diamond Grade

The dust can be pretty bad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Terry,

What kind of case setup do you have on that Polaris. I’m getting back into sporting clays after a few year hiatus and I have a 900xp Ranger as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:46 pm 
Crown Grade

They look like Kolpin Gun Boots from the pic. Most folks I know use some form of open rack with either scabbards or rubber-coated "U" shaped holders like you might see on an ATV

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:12 pm 
Crown Grade

I bought a used EZGO TXT gas cart a couple years ago and added a rear seat and a rack basket up front. I didn’t lift it but replaced the golf tires with lawn mower tires. I am into it for less than $3500. It is light and trailers easy

I don’t use it all the time. I prefer to walk but if my wife with some health conditions goes with me I take the cart for her.

I have hauled it to events as far away as 5 hours in Rhode Island but when I go to M&M which is 10 hours each way I rent a cart there

The plain little cart is fine for me. Have hauled around a squad of 4 and the gear with no issues. Most grounds don’t really exceed its capabilities. I know there are conditions it wouldn’t do as well in but so far haven’t experienced that

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Many factors to consider for your situation. I got a Polaris for the gas, power, soft suspension, and reliability. Also many accessories available. I had a golf cart and the suspension beat me to death. Battery power long term will be expensive where you have to replace batteries at some point and charge when away from home.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They are Kolpin Gun Boots and work great.

https://www.kolpin.com/en-us/shop/acces ... -carriers/

Polaris Ranger
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:43 am 
Tournament Grade

I use a 48 volt Club Car with a lifted suspension, knobby tires, and extras. I like electric for the eco-friendly power system. The power system will more than last for a few days and mine has the charger built-in so all I need is to get close to an outlet. When not shooting my cart doubles around my farm for work. I have a 3 point hitch and it pulls a 5x8 trailer around as I need it. It also pulls my deer from the woods after a successful day of hunting.

I'm Bill but my friends just call me ... Bill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:35 am 
Crown Grade

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
They are Kolpin Gun Boots and work great.

https://www.kolpin.com/en-us/shop/acces ... -carriers/

Be careful how you mount them. Guns can’t be facing sideways for NSCA events.