ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Venues as good as Tucson Trap and Skeet
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My wife and I stay at Tucson T &S each Febuary and March . It is a great shooting park with all the clay games offered. 50 trap ranges, a dozen skeet, bunker trap, International skeet, 5 stand and up to 75 sporting clay stations and helice. The weather is great in the winter.
My wife is getting bored with the area and mentioned going some where different, but where would that be? Is there another shooting park that rivals Tucson. Ben Avery has been mentioned but Phoenix is too congested. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Venues as good as Tucson Trap and Skeet
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:34 pm 
Field Grade

Nice clubs in Texas, Houston area. Always have NSCA HQ to shoot at in San Antonio. Doesn't say where you're from but Fossil Pointe is a nice facility to look at.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:45 pm 
Field Grade

Are you specifically looking for somewhere to go with nice weather during the Winter/Early spring timeframes or any place in the country that has nice facilities that best enjoyed at different timeframes than when you typically go to Tucson?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We live in Nebraska. Tucson is 1000 miles so Texas is in range as long as the winter weather is nice 60s or 70s
What about Las Vegas? Any thing there?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes in Vegas; there is also Florida; lots of clubs and you'd be here during all of the big blasts in February/March

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:57 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Texas has a lot of clay target clubs. Yes there are several great clubs in Houston plus Austin, Dallas and Fort Worth. The National shooting Complex in San Antonio is the largest clay shooting facility in the country and probably the world. If you join, You Will be able to shoot four days a week. If you are a non member, two days week They have a lot of RV sports that you can rent and there are a lot of hotels / motels in the city and some of the best food in the world. There is also a lot to see there too.

Houston is about 200 miles from San Antonio And I believe Dallas / Fort Worth is the same. Austin is as someone said, I believe 60 miles. Of course there is other clubs in the area. The 74 Ranch is very nice too. Driving in Texas makes getting around fairly easy to go places (except in any of the big cities.) I would like you to come to San Angelo, My home and go out to the San Angelo Claybird Association. We have trap, skeet, fivestand, and two walk through Sporting Clay courses. Abilene is 100 miles away to the North. They have a nice smaller club, It is then about 60 miles to the Greystone Castle. This is a very nice club. Why not make a tour of Texas clubs? You will get to see a lot of beautiful country and it is very diverse. We have all kinds of country in Texas. Of course, if you were in Amarillo and wanted to go the Brownsville it would take you two full days. It's about 1000 miles but that is from the top, North to the South and the gulf coast. but you could shoot a lot of clubs on the way if you planed out you trip to hit the different clubs.

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine
San Angelo Texas
[email protected]
325-656-6319 - cell, I am sometimes hard to reach by phone. Email and text are the best way to get a hold of me.

If you decide to come to San Angelo, be sure to contact me and I will take you out to our club and out for some great Mexican food or steaks. By the way, Midland / Odessa has four clubs but remember they are in the desert so the terrain if flat with mostly scrub mesquite and cactus. The scenery is not as nice as other parts of Texas but the clubs are all great.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:15 pm 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
What about Las Vegas? Any thing there?

Vegas has Clark County Shooting Grounds, has everything Tucson has plus all rifle and pistol. Yes you can stay there. Then there is ProGun Club, SC, (2) 5 stand, small trap and skeet. Its right off the hi-way, very easy to get to. Check on Nellis AFB, not sure its still open. Be ready for a security check if you shoot here and lower then normal scores. Hard to concentrate with all the neat aircraft flying.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Las Vegas CCSC Clark County Shooting Complex. Was originally called CCSP Clark County Shooting Park, but the county thought having a park named after shooting was bad.
Any way great facility. 30 Trap and Skeet combo bays, 5 stand, Two Sporting Clay courses one the East has 15 stations, and the West has 15 stations a little more challenging.
Cost for RV is $30 a day full hook up with the view of Las Vegas. Max stay time is 29 days.
All shopping, you name it is there, just down the street from the Range. Weather in the high 50's with the 60's and 70's around the corner.
Very quite as they are only open to the public on Thursday nights and days are Friday, Sat and Sun.
If your wife likes to shop everything is open.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:37 am 
Crown Grade

Ben Avery Clay Target Center, just north of Phoenix. As a bonus Rio Salado Sportsman's Club is just on the other side of town.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:59 am 
Tournament Grade

Ben Avery is on the north side of Phoenix and you won't find it at bit more congested than Tucson. The RV camping is much much better than Tucson, not the 4 spots to one tower ghetto camping.

Clark County is very doable especially with the DU Classic in March. Ellis AFB still offers camping but it is on the north side of town from Pro Gun Club. However, LV can get really cold, I seem to recall one year where it reach single digits at the SHOT Show. It snowed on us in one year at DU but then it hailed at BA and Tucson.

Plus 1 on the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio. Nothing but Kudus for the way they run that place. I would very much like to get to Florida for a season but traveling with an RV from Colorado and back, is always an iffy proposition (...as I look out my window preparing to plow my driveway) this time of year.

Please share what you find as I hope to visit more places next winter.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks everyone for the input. We have arrangements made for Tucson again this year but San Antonio sounds good as sporting clays is my interest. We travel and camp in a 5th wheel.My wife never met a gambling establishment she did not like so Las Vegas is a real possibility. I talked her into being a scorekeeper for the Spring Grand so that helped her boredom and she really enjoyed it and is hired again this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:18 am 
Crown Grade

My dad had a lot of good times in Tucson for many years, they had what they called a “Winter Chain” of clubs they shop at. I remember Red Mountain was one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Come to California and head to Camanche Hills Sporting Clays in Ione Ca. 3 clays courses and a club house that serves lunches. It's in California's gold country and has been the sight of state shoots. While your there you can venture down to Stockton And go to Stockton Gun and Bocce Club. No RV parking but Skeet, Trap, 5 stand, ZZbird ,and Sporting Clays. The Bocce Ball club house has a respectable bar and restaurant. Then if you chose to go to San Francisco, about 50miles south is Coyote Valley Sporting Clays. No RV parking but close to Monterey and Steinbeck country. While Ca. is liberal mess, we do have some great recreation. and from Stockton it's a short run to Yosemite. Think about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:55 pm 
Field Grade

claytbuster wrote:
Come to California and head to Camanche Hills Sporting Clays in Ione Ca. 3 clays courses and a club house that serves lunches. It's in California's gold country and has been the sight of state shoots. While your there you can venture down to Stockton And go to Stockton Gun and Bocce Club. No RV parking but Skeet, Trap, 5 stand, ZZbird ,and Sporting Clays. The Bocce Ball club house has a respectable bar and restaurant. Then if you chose to go to San Francisco, about 50miles south is Coyote Valley Sporting Clays. No RV parking but close to Monterey and Steinbeck country. While Ca. is liberal mess, we do have some great recreation. and from Stockton it's a short run to Yosemite. Think about it.

About 10 years ago I lived 15 minutes from Morgan Hills CA where Coyote Valley is located. Great terrain to make a beautiful course. Too bad I had not discovered this sport when I lived in CA. I agree the politics and cost of living in CA are crazy but the combo of weather and scenery/terrain are unmatched almost anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is it a problem traveling with two to three thousands rounds of shotgun ammo in California ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 am 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
Is it a problem traveling with two to three thousands rounds of shotgun ammo in California ?

No. Keep in it your trunk and nobody cares. I do it occasionally.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think I would be more concerned about the Covid-19 pandemic in California for now.