ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 691 Field (20 ga.) for clays?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:21 pm 
Field Grade

There are some really crazy deals right now on 20 gauge Beretta 691 Fields (sub-$2k). In the back of my mind, I've always thought a 20 would be nice to have, particularly for guests and visitors. I've been impressed with 69x series guns at the range (mostly 694s), and the thought of a 691 under $2000 seems like a nice-to-have. The gun would only be used for sporting clays and skeet.

Pros:
* Better-looking (to me) than a Silver Pigeon
* 20 gauge would be nice for new shooters, and for myself as i get older
* (Biggest reason, if I'm honest) Chance to own a fancypants gun that would normally be out of my price range

Cons:
* Would lack power for a serious sporting clay gun for long shots
* Same price as a less-fancypants, more functional gun (like a Cynergy CX 12 with an adjustable comb)
* One more caliber to deal with
* Field model has an automatic safety

Currently, I have an old Ithaca/SKB 600 12 gauge for sporting clays. Does the job, but has fixed chokes and isn't quite the perfect fit, so practically and objectively speaking, I'd be better off with that Cynergy than the 691.

I think I know the answer, but is the 691 a "must grab," given the price?

Post subject: Re: 691 Field (20 ga.) for clays?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:26 pm 
Crown Grade

While it is always nice to have a prettier gun, second gun, smaller gun and/or a loaner gun...choose carefully!

Yes, a 20 gauge is adequate for most sporting clays shots (and all non-competitive events), there can be disadvantages. Being a lighter weight field gun, even in 20 gauge, it may surprise you in how much it kicks. Would advise you try one out before purchasing it.

Also being lighter weight, field guns don't normally hold up to the punishment as well as a heavier sporting clays gun.

Another red flag for me would be Beretta's automatic safety. A royal pain when shooting sporting clays (but it can be disabled).

On the plus side, 20 gauge sporting clays competitive events are often more fun than 12 gauge events. I love both 20 and 28 gauge competitions.

Just a few points to ponder. Hope this helps in your decision.

Demi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Would lack power for a serious sporting clay gun for long shots

False, the downside is a smaller payload, not a lack of power

Quote:
20 gauge would be nice for new shooters, and for myself as i get older

Not if it doesn't fit

You do not want a light gun as recoil can be more than a heavy 12 target gun

An automatic safety can be a detriment for sporting clays

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sticky in the reloading section 3/4 oz 20. They work very well and tame a light gun. Targets to 25 or even 30 yards do well if choked to suit.

I say go for one you won’t be disappointed

Bass