ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walker's Game Ear Silencer Digital Earbuds Rechargeable, NR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Please review these if you use them. I wear hearing aids and when I take them out and put my earplugs in it , is difficult to hear people talking. I have to take my earplugs out to understand them and even then sometimes it’s difficult

TX

Post subject: Re: Walker's Game Ear Silencer Digital Earbuds Rechargeable,
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So that's why our conversations went sideways today, Jim.
Thanks for showing up. With you there, I wasn't the worst shooter.
Love you, man.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

marshfield wrote:
So that's why our conversations went sideways today, Jim.
Thanks for showing up. With you there, I wasn't the worst shooter.
Love you, man.

You Nasty Boy, {hs#
Picking on guy with shoulder issues :lol: Been researching these Walkers for a couple of hours. Lately , even with my ear plugs out I miss half of what is being said. You should have only paid member rate today.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:14 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Jim,

I used the Peltor electronic muffs for years and loved them. I wore them so much that the sweat from my ears finally rusted out the speakers. I have heard that the Walker Game Ears are great but I have not tried them. The Peltor muffs 15 years ago, were about $275.00 and worth every penny. One thing I had to do was turn them off when i walked tono a station. I could hear everyone around me and a couple of times I could hear people on the next station. LOL The Game Ears are not that expensive.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:16 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

By the way, I saw on the other post a question about to they bother with your gun mount. The answer is yes but I got used to them in a matter of days, so no, they really didn't bother me.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

My brother uses the Walker ear buds. He also has a hearing loss and wears hearing aids, but his hearing loss is not as severe as mine. They seem to work well for him. He has the blue tooth version, and I've seen him take phone calls with them. His only complaint is that the battery does not tend to last an entire day of shooting unless he remembers to recharge them at lunch.

What works for me using the Walker XCel muffs (which do not interfere with my gun mount), is that I put a foam plug in my right ear under the muff, and leave my hearing aid in my left ear under the muff. This way I can hear everything said, but still protect my most venerable ear that is closest to the gun. My hearing aids also have a feature that blocks loud noise, so I get some extra protection even for my left ear. I have shot with both hearing aids in under the muffs, and that seems to work also, but I'm just being extra precautious.

I made a point of telling my audiologist about my shooting hobbies, and she made sure that my hearing aids had this noise protection feature, but still advised me to remove the right hearing aid when shooting, and to remove both when shooting in situations that I didn't need to hear voices. She also advised the foam plug under the muffs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:41 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Jim,

Again, I have remembered something else that will help you make a decision. Foam or fitted ear plugs do not completely protect your hearing. A person (shooter) receives more damage through the mastoid bone behind the ear. This is what several audiologist have told me over my career.

Also, three years ago, I testified as an expert witness in a liability lawsuit in Hawaii. The plaintiff, took a introductory lesson at the club. This was nothing more that Safety, plus all of the rules that had to be followed type of lesson. It did include basic information about the basic setup. This instructor was one of the people that I trained and was in a level I and a level II class that I taught. I remembered this person and I remembered he was the best in his level II school. By the way, he was a defendant.

The Plaintiff was from up North and was a doctor and was the president of a medical school. He claimed that he lost a major part of his hearing because the instructor didn't show him the right way to put in foam earplugs. As we all know, foam plugs have instructions as how to put them in your ears on the package. I guess this doctor didn't read. LOL There were four other people (family members) in the squad. and they all shot 25 targets each for 125 total targets. Now I don't know about you but most hunters don't even wear earplugs and shoot a lot of shells. I am no ear doctor but I have been around shooting all my life plus I have shot a lot more ammo that most people couldn't imagine. My hearing was fine until I turned 60. Both sets of grandparents plus my mother and dad lost much of their hearing at the same age and they sure didn't shoot as much as I did. By the way. The plaintiffs lost their case. It took the jury less than an hour to decide this case.

Mike McAlpine

My suggestion is to get the electronic muffs You can turn one side off and leave the other side on. Another thing, The auditologist that I have talked to told me that a right handed shooter will suffer more damage to his left ear. A lefty will lose more hearing to his right ear. I am right handed and I have more hearing loss in my left ear.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:42 am 
Presentation Grade

For me, these are the bomb: Walker's Razor
Bluetooth, 31 db NRR, with sound amplification and compression, comfortable and easily runs all day on a charge. I get to protect my hearing, hear conversations around me, answer the phone and listen to music all in a light and streamlined unit.

A lot of the gang at my range have invested in them and approve of them.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For those using the Walkers unit, does the wire running to the earpiece ever foul up your gun mount?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:44 am 
Limited Edition

marshfield wrote:
For those using the Walkers unit, does the wire running to the earpiece ever foul up your gun mount?

It did for me but only with 1 gun and then only while hunting and quickly mounting.

Jersey Jim. I have a set for sale if you would be interested. They were good but I didn't care for them when worn for multiple days in a row..... 75.00 shipped....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:02 am 
Presentation Grade

Bailey Boat wrote:
marshfield wrote:

It did for me but only with 1 gun and then only while hunting and quickly mounting.

Jersey Jim. I have a set for sale if you would be interested. They were good but I didn't care for them when worn for multiple days in a row..... 75.00 shipped....

The Razor or Silencer? I do not think I would like the razors.