ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moving to Texas
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

20O0 I worked out of Galveston for a year. Took my Schuetzen Rifle with me & spent number of weekends in New Braunfels with the Schuetzen club. Great fellows treated me very well. Shotguns hunting only then, missed opportunity, East Texas center of sporting clays activity.

Bass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:08 am 
Crown Grade

Bass3 wrote:
20O0 I worked out of Galveston for a year. Took my Schuetzen Rifle with me & spent number of weekends in New Braunfels with the Schuetzen club. Great fellows treated me very well. Shotguns hunting only then, missed opportunity, East Texas center of sporting clays activity.

Bass

What most native Texans call East Texas is certainly not the center of sporting clays. Like most states, the activities center around population. Houston has more clays than anywhere, but it is considered upper Gulf Coast. Might as well get the lingo right if your going to live here.

The fun part is learning how certain city names are pronounced. Burnet, Manor, Elgin, Mexia, etc. And the already discussed Boerne (Bernie). That’s how we tell the newcomers apart.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:20 am 
Crown Grade

Just curious, is the Texas definition of damnyankee the same as it was in GA, i.e., one who moves in and stays?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:38 am 
Crown Grade

The only thing I can add is, I went to Lockhart Texas to Smitty's Market BBQ, and it sucked. It wasn't worth the effort.

There are much better places in every little town in Texas.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:21 am 
Crown Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
The only thing I can add is, I went to Lockhart Texas to Smitty's Market BBQ, and it sucked. It wasn't worth the effort.

That was really enlightening and the top of the list of things you need to know about moving to Texas.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:43 pm 
Limited Edition

drawdc wrote:
Bass3 wrote:

Bass

What most native Texans call East Texas is certainly not the center of sporting clays. Like most states, the activities center around population. Houston has more clays than anywhere, but it is considered upper Gulf Coast. Might as well get the lingo right if your going to live here.

The fun part is learning how certain city names are pronounced. Burnet, Manor, Elgin, Mexia, etc. And the already discussed Boerne (Bernie). That’s how we tell the newcomers apart.

And don’t forget Bexar County (sort of Bear).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:55 pm 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
ysr_racer wrote:

That was really enlightening and the top of the list of things you need to know about moving to Texas.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:57 pm 
Crown Grade

https://www.facebook.com/itisasouthernt ... 279399259/

Try this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I was so disappointed when I saw the Alamo in person!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here's input from a guy that made the move to Houston from the frozen North of Scotland in 1998. LOVE the place. Friendly people that will go out of their way to help with anything. I've still got a lot of the US to see but I definitely lucked out with the move here to Texas. Love the Riverwalk in San Antonio and the piano bars in Austin.

https://www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Halwg wrote:
I was so disappointed when I saw the Alamo in person!

You do realize that’s only the chapel? The rest of the mission is gone. Doesn’t change the story.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:13 pm 
Crown Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
drawdc wrote:
ysr_racer wrote:

There are two other BBQ places in Lockhart with better ratings than Smitty’s. You fail to do your homework and then post a picture of Hilary. Hitting a home run in the Lone Star State. I know you think your funny, but you are simply from California.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:58 am 
Presentation Grade

If we are now talking bbq....

Please venture a bit North to ( 45 min ) to Taylor Texas and try Louie Miller’s beef rib. https://www.xtremefoodies.com/features/ ... ecue-texas

DL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:39 am 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
Bass3 wrote:

Bass

The State of Texas has many NSCA registered shooters and Metro Houston has an abundance of sporting clay pros. that reside in Houston.....Bobby Fowler, Cory Kruse, Zach Kienbaum, Haley Dunn, Desire Edmunds, Adam Blair, etc. and over 5K registered NSCA shooters in Texas and over 7 mil registered targets thrown in 2020. Houston held the first national sporting clay championship in 1985, eventually moving to San Antonio.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

4th down

Zack and Desi moved to GA last year

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:23 am 
Crown Grade

hopper810 wrote:
4th down

Hop.....thanks, I was going to contact him for a lesson when the weather clears and I think Brad Kidd Jr. moved from Houston to Fla?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

4th. down wrote:
hopper810 wrote:
4th down

Hop.....thanks, I was going to contact him for a lesson when the weather clears and I think Brad Kidd Jr. moved from Houston to Fla?

Not sure but believe so.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:

Austin is 30 ish miles away and also offers a lot. Great music scene and a college town in the better ways of a college town.

Thirty miles? That would be New Braunfels where people speak German and try their best to pretend they live in Bavaria. Thirty more miles is San Marcos and thirty more miles is Austin on I-35, where you may find yourself being passed by bicycles on the access road, especially getting through Schertz and again as you approach Austin, definitely through Austin. In several billion years, the sun will burn out, which means they will have to finish I-35 in the dark.
San Antonio has The National Shooting Complex, The San Antonio Gun Club, and on the Bexar/Guadalupe county line on I-10 is Bexar Community Shooting Range AKA Trainer Hale. These three clubs cater to shotgun sports, Bexar Community Shooting Range also has a pistol/rifle range, trap, skeet and I think 5-stand. San Antonio Gun Club is mostly trap and skeet but has a 5-stand field along with international bunker trap. The National Shooting Complex has a real sporting clays course.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:12 am 
Limited Edition

When I die, I may not go to Heaven.
I don’t know if they let cowboys in.
If they don’t, just let me go to Texas boys.
Texas is as close as I’ve been.

https://youtu.be/YKQdN8YMK9Y

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:59 am 
Diamond Grade

Be careful when ordering chips and salsa.
Texas and New Mexico have the hottest salsa I've ever tried.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next