ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Reading Targets
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:44 pm 
Crown Grade

This book will be available on Amazon again in the next few days.

www.peteblakeley.com

Post subject: Re: Reading Targets
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:34 am 
Limited Edition

Don't deal with Amazon anymore, sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:33 am 
Crown Grade

Whatssuuup! No problem. The book is currently out of stock at Amazon until more were printed but they should be available in a week. At the moment you can still buy it direct from my web.site where there also is a description of the book.

www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:23 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Pete, I look forward to reading this book. As you know, I am big on shooters learning to read target lines. I talk about this in my book a lot. We both know that if a shooter can't read the lines, they will never be a great shot. After Safety, this is one of the most important things in clay target shooting.

Mike McAlpine

I would encourage everyone to by this book because as I just mentioned reading target lines is very important to your shooting success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete, I also don't do business with Amazon anymore. I will buy one directly from you. I will no longer support the big corporations that seem to be trying to limit free speech I am very ADAMANT about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug that key is still sticking. Maybe I need to set up a gofundme site so I can but a new keyboard. :lol:

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:30 am 
Diamond Grade

Ordered. I could be barking up the wrong tree but I feel like this is what I need help with the most.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:22 am 
Crown Grade

Hi Mike,
I understand what you say about Amazon and lots of people will not buy from there. They take 50% profit for selling books so it is much more profitable to sell direct from my web. site but the main thing with selling from Amazon is the massive exposure. I have mailed that Reading Targets book as far as Japan and Australia which was surprising.

BTW the pictures were not taken with a ShotKam (that fits under the barrel) but with a special camera fitted exactly where the shooters eye would be on a Beretta 390. The pictures in the book are exactly what the shooter would see as he triggers the shot.

BTW the book should be $12.95 not $9.95 so I apologize for that. The second printing was more expensive and that price will be changed on my web. site asap. :D

http://www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:28 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Peter,

Yes I agree Amazon takes a chunk off the books Cathy and I wrote in Kindle format but like you we have sales from several countries and the monthly checks keep coming in. They process payment in foreign currency and submit $ payments to our the bank. We would never imagine this would last 11 years but they have.

Roger

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Hi Roger, That's exactly what I have found. Of course like you I sell them online from my web. site but last year I sold or five or six times more books through Amazon so I think it is worth it. I wrote the Unit Lead book in 2007 and it is still selling well today, probably more than in 2007 because I'm reaching a much wider audience. Sometimes the shipping cost to different counties direct from my web. site can be a problem but of course that doesn't happen with Amazon. They bill the customer in the country that the book is ordered from. Swings and roundabouts!

www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:18 am 
Tournament Grade

Peter, I hate to Hijack your thread but I totally forgot about your ideas. I have been off shooting for a few years as we built a new house and I had back surgery. I have bought your videos and books in the past and just ordered your new book on reading targets. Now comes the Hijack. I am a one eyed shooter that has been fighting instructors on this site and lessons my whole life. I just tried a new idea of lowering the POI to 70/30 to take the barrel out of the picture. It did not work. So back to one eye shooting. After reading your article on the subject, it is spot on. Why in the world would someone struggling with vision ever try and stop what is happening with your eyes by tricking them. I say that as an airline pilot that uses both eyes to land an airplane. What is the difference? Well Landing, I am looking in the center of the vision and not trying to aim from on side or the other. So both eyes can be used. But shooting, I am lining up the barrel with only one eye on one side of my body and then take that eye and off set it to a target coming from an acute angle bringing a weak eye in to try and help focus on a target. Well if I am not suppose to look down the barrel, why would I not want the barreleye to do all the seeing the target and keep it focus on the target? After all, the shoulder is holding the gun in line with that eye and no need to check the barrel sight picture as your eye is focused on the target. By bringing the other eye in, trying to take over the sight picture, you start seeing, ( in my situation) focus getting blurry or switching between eyes trying to focus. We are not talking about being able to take time to have your eyes figure out the focus in time as the shot is a, (less than 1 second) decision that has to be made or lose the target breaking point. I see lots of instructors that want to trick the off barreleye shooter with patches, dots, or other gimmicks. Why not just use that other eye to help pickup the target quicker with no occlusion and then just close it off when the appropriate time comes to focus on the target? Thank you for putting your book on here as it made go to your web and see this stuff to help shooters struggling with eye dominance. Sorry for the hijack...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The book is well worth having in your library no matter your views/thoughts about Pete. How many times have you heard/read about folks asking about "sight pictures" and been asked or asking yourself what did you "see" ?? Were you able to explain it? or even know what you saw?

Well nows there's an option to at least give folks an idea of what the "sight picture" should be.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:49 pm 
Crown Grade

senoiaslim. I appreciate your comments so no problem with the hijack. I agree with your observations re. eye dominance issues.

Over a period of time, in order for us to become proficient with a shotgun we must build up a repertoire of bird/barrel relationships that we know to be correct, that's why our target reading ability is important. But even if we are proficient at reading the targets, if the off-eye kicks in as the shot is triggered, even for the smallest fraction of time, the target will be missed. The final decision of what works (ie. one eye or two) must be up to the guy who triggers the shot and his progression with this should be the sole responsibility of his coach. This should be readily apparent during a lesson with an experienced coach. If there is limited progress, then he should make the decision to change coaches.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Seeing the correct bird/barrel relationship is what motivates any of us to trigger the shot. According to the feedback I'm getting, shooters are taking the book to the SC course, skeet or trap field, comparing the target presentation to the appropriate picture in the book and breaking more targets. Good stuff! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:39 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Just my 2cents on this subject .
Would it not be a good idea to get a copy of Peter Blakeley's books , Successful Shotgunning , You're Behind it , and Reading Targets ?
For less than the cost of some of the DVD's available you will have a hard copy of information instantly to hand .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:24 am 
Crown Grade

Salopian. Thanks, I appreciate that. :D As you know one of the most difficult things for a shooter to figure out is how much lead a target needs, or how far underneath you need to shoot on a dropping target. Both the Unit Lead book and the Reading Targets book shows that. The combination of the info. in the two books will make a big difference to most shooters scores very quickly.

http://www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:17 am 
Tournament Grade

So Pete,

Reading your book, You talk about drop at certain distance in the sporting clay section. Are you also using the rule of 50mph for those shots?
Also, I had sent you a couple emails are your site. Please let me know if you got them.
Mark.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Mark,
I will try to answer your question but could you please let me know which book (either the Reading Targets book of the Unit Lead book) and also know what page you are referring to? Thank you. And I did receive your e mails but I guess you are not receiving my replies for some reason? I will resend them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:31 am 
Tournament Grade

pete blakeley wrote:
Mark,
I will try to answer your question but could you please let me know which book (either the Reading Targets book of the Unit Lead book) and also know what page you are referring to? Thank you. And I did receive your e mails but I guess you are not receiving my replies for some reason? I will resend them.

Pete, It is the Reading Targets book. I am referring to in the skeet section, where you talk about clays moving around 50 mph. But in the SCs section I do not see a speed in which you address the leads for the pics. As you know, targets are as much as 30 mph different for Scs. I can figure that out of different sight pictures if I know what you based the SCs target speed at for the pics. Thanks. By the way, enjoying the book. It is a very good toll to have...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

skeet has a specific starting speed for each target.

In SC's you have to learn the speeds by observation , trial and error b/c they can be infinitely different.

Did you ever notice that :?:

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:52 am 
Tournament Grade

sera wrote:
skeet has a specific starting speed for each target.

In SC's you have to learn the speeds by observation , trial and error b/c they can be infinitely different.

Did you ever notice that :?:

Sera, I do not remember asking you a question. But since you have volunteered, like any game of skill, you have certain things that are known. In this case I was asking Pete his known speed of the target that he shot his pics with. So I can take the known part and use that information to help adjust to other speeds of targets. Targets travel certain distances at certain speeds in a perfect world. So, knowing the speed of the target that Pete is helping his book readers with, can help them with being more accurate at reading targets. But, thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hope Pete can help you.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next