ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun Mounting--Skeet vs. Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I started shooting Skeet about 1970, then stopped for a couple of decades. About 5 years ago I started shooting Sporting Clays, and then took up Skeet again as well.

While my Sporting Clays seems to improve all the time, I don't think my Skeet is any better than in 1972.

For most Sporting presentations, I hold the gun a little out and down (not as much as a Fitasc position) then move and mount when the target appears. For Skeet I pre-mount. The birds all seem to go faster with Skeet.

I'm thinking that maybe for Skeet I should move and mount the same as in Sporting Clays. Any comments?

Post subject: Re: Gun Mounting--Skeet vs. Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Why not try it? if you're comfortable with that for sporting, it might work just fine for you at skeet.
I use that type of mount a lot (when not using the FITASC one) and I find it more comfortable than a pre-mount.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

IMHO, I started shootiing sporting about 30 years ago. I have carried the low gun mount onto the skeet field. We refer to this vintage skeet (with up to a three second delay after calling for the bird ) for the past 25 years

For what I enjoy, it’s all about the gun mount so every shooting game starts with the same low gun position.

YMMV
Maggs01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Are you a two eyed or one eyed shooter? I mount the firearm for skeet and hold low for Sporting also.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:06 am 
Crown Grade

JMHO, but it doesn't matter if you're a one or two eyed shooter.

If it were me, I'd use the SCs type of mount for both games. But then I use a low gun mount for everything but trap. I like to have the ability to look right back into the trap house, or where ever the bird is coming from, without moving the gun all the way back.

maggs, I though Vintage was just gun down till you see the bird. Once in a while at the club we shoot a league - up to a 5 second delay, gun down till you see the bird, regular skeet menu.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

what are the rules of skeet re: the mount. Actually NONE. I know a shooter here in Louisiana who shot a 400x400 in skeet shooting swing thru. That's not what they teach now-a-days. BUT so what :shock:

Forget the stupid rules (since there are none in this area) and do what helps you.

Same in SC.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:07 am 
Presentation Grade

I just shoot for fun I do not compete in any shotgun sport, so take what I say with that in mind.

I shoot my shotgun better from an unmounted state, rabbits, true pairs, following pairs, report pairs and single birds, it does not matter. When I pre-mount I over think it and tend to wait longer to take the shot, I "aim" the shotgun, and miss more often. When I need to mount the gun and quickly take the shot my shooting is more instinctive and I tend to get more hits. If the birds are close to each other in the air when I take the first shot I may just keep the gun mounted and take the second shot. When there is enough time and distance between birds I still do better when I lower the gun and remount for the second shot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:40 am 
Field Grade

IndyCA35,

If you have started to shoot skeet using sporting techniques you will need to move your hold points out to roughly half way to the center stake. If you use traditional hold points you will be chasing the birds....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

shotgunvette,

Halfway to the stake? Why? Skeet targets aren't fast, and you know the line. No need to change the hold points....maybe if you were using a FITASC mount, but not the typical 'cheat' mount that most folks use for sporting and 5 stand.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:35 am 
Limited Edition

shotgunvette wrote:
IndyCA35,

If you have started to shoot skeet using sporting techniques you will need to move your hold points out to roughly half way to the center stake. If you use traditional hold points you will be chasing the birds....

I start skeet low gun (FITASC style) and my hold points are about half way as well. I can usually break clays over the stake or before doing it that way. I shoot SC that way as well. I figure consistency is a key thing in shooting. Maybe I should try shooting SC with the gun mounted. I might get more hits. Not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:32 am 
Presentation Grade

For me I shoot some gun up and gun down on Sporting. I find that with the gun up skeet targets look faster because they are frequently closer to you than sporting clays targets. I need to change my eye hold points on skeet to farther out which helps me see the target better.

If your shooting at a flash the targets seem faster. Looking farther out from the house helps me to lock on the target better and the target seems to be slower

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot skeet the same way I shoot sporting clays and with the same chokes, Modified for everything. I don’t shoot skeet that often, but have no problems, except pad 8. Pad 8 requires a little practice after a layoff. It is unlike anything we ever see in sporting clays. Shot 3 rounds this weekend with the .410 and M chokes and didn’t miss a target except for pad 8.

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-K80 w/factory titanium chokes
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale at 1200fps or less
All chokes M(agic)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:57 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Indy,

I thought that sporting came first to the US in 1980. After a couple of years the USSCA formed and we had an association. I shot as a member of this association, starting in 1986. The NSCA did not form until 1989 and the next year, they really got going. I decided that since the NSCA was an association ran by it's member (I know that skeet actually owns NSCA) I was wondering if you shot in Europe? I am sure not trying to stir a pot here. I am just curious. {hs#

Mike McAlpine

I have been around since the begging of the sport in the US and I know most of the history.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:51 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Sport, you sound like me because I do better with a full mount on some presentations and some, I think a low mount is better. If I shoot a low mout I will always used my FITASC mount. This way I am taking one mount out of my game, Also. This is a good way to practice your mount for FITASC.

Another thing, Where you start your mount depends on the method you are shooting. If shooting swing through, I think you should start your muzzle about 2/3 of the way back from your breakpoint. This will let the target pass faster and you will be able to pass the target by the center marker and smoke it.

If you are using Pull a way. I think a low mount is the best and your hold point is a little closer to the center marker. When shooting maintained lead, half way back from the breakpoint is about right for most people. Now Intercept! Since this is actually a combination of swing through and maintained lead, you can start you muzzle anywhere as long it is behind the target and below the target line. I recommend a low mount here although many people shoot this method with a mounted gun. Your movement will be diagonal. Draw a rectangle and if you are right handed, draw a line with a pencil. Start at the bottom left hand corner of the box and then draw a line to the top right hand corner of the box. This is the move when using intercept. I personally think this is the BEST METHOD to use on a presentation that has an unsteady line; especially is the target is dropping or rssing because of a wind. When your muzzle reaches the lead, simply pull the trigger. This is done with the subconscious mind. Making sure of your lead will cause you to miss because you are looking a the barrel and this will make you stop.

This is the mount that my friend and 23 time all American uses. I started calling it the Greenway Method. I really wanted to give it a name that showed the movement of the muzzle and where the barrel is inserted to the lead, just like all of the other methods.

Several years latter, I was watching a documentary on the first Gulf war (Operation Desert Storm) and the Iraquies where lobing Scud Missiles into Israel. The Americans then deployed Patriot Missile Batteries to Israel . The called them Interceptors. The movements of these missiles looked the same as the muzzle intercepting a target. Now you know the history of how the name Intercept came about. By the way, this is the same method that I was using to shoot trap targets. This was 1972 and I Had never heard of a name that is was called.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:04 pm 
Crown Grade

The benefit of low gun is greater target visibility and faster accusation on targets taking a flight path you are unfamiliar with and are unsure of the best hold point.

Pre-mounted works well in skeet because the target presentation never changes and you can establish a hold point that you use for all eternity that gives you the best view of the target.

If you break more skeet targets low gun than pre-mounted then there is probably an issue with your pre-mounted hold point.