ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Field Sporting - I like it!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:11 am 
Crown Grade

Had my first opportunity to shoot this variation yesterday at Meadows Gun Club in Forsyth, GA yesterday. Many FITASC elements but it moved along much faster. Our 4 person squad averaged 20 minutes per layout. Even with rain and some delays due to lightning, we finished ahead of schedule. I drove 7 hours roundtrip to try this and would do it again. As much as I like FITASC over sporting, I would prefer to shoot this. Hopefully more and more clubs will make this a regular event. The other three members of my squad drove 13 hours from Detroit to shoot this event to try and shoot as many of the qualifying ones in hopes of making it to the Invitational.

If you have the opportunity to shoot this - do it!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Post subject: Re: American Field Sporting - I like it!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:28 am 
Limited Edition

Glad you liked it. Shot 3 events last year and will be in more this year. You have to
seriously pay attention to the “one look” show pairs.
See you at the inaugural AFS championship held at Northbrook over July 4th.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just read the article in Clayshooting USA about it and I came away with this question. What’s the rush? Why is the attraction to the game the fact that it is so fast? I’m not interested in driving some distance just for it to be over quickly. When I plan the go shooting on a day I plan for it to take up a good part of the day.

It’s no big deal really, I have some personal limitations that prevent me from shooting too much too fast, AFS doesn’t need my participation to succeed anyway I just wonder why it’s such a plus that it is over so quickly.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:58 am 
Crown Grade

remdog1187 wrote:
Glad you liked it. Shot 3 events last year and will be in more this year. You have to

You do NOT get to see ANY pairs; only the singles and only once.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:00 am 
Crown Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I just read the article in Clayshooting USA about it and I came away with this question. What’s the rush? Why is the attraction to the game the fact that it is so fast? I’m not interested in driving some distance just for it to be over quickly. When I plan the go shooting on a day I plan for it to take up a good part of the day.

It’s no big deal really, I have some personal limitations that prevent me from shooting too much too fast, AFS doesn’t need my participation to succeed anyway I just wonder why it’s such a plus that it is over so quickly.

One thing I always hear from folks complaining about FITASC is how long it takes to shoot 25 targets; this moves along a little faster and thus can allow more squads the opportunity to shoot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:13 am 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
remdog1187 wrote:

You do NOT get to see ANY pairs; only the singles and only once.

SHOULD HAVE SAID “SHOW BIRDS”.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:16 am 
Crown Grade

{hs#
We did vary the green field layout (the one more closely like 5 stand) by having the squad move as a squad from hoop to hoop. This was the way the AFS folks wanted us to shoot it. That kept the trapper from walking back and forth between each hoop for each shooter. We did rotate lead off at each hoop.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:41 am 
Limited Edition

There are those that do not like the one look rule. Which I get the impression is keeping some away. Their choice. I like the rule. So far I have not seen anyone beg for a second look.
All referees have been quite clear on one look from the beginning. The first shooter has to bring his best “memory” for target trajectory as he does not have the luxury of viewing his squad mates presentations over and over for recollection. Part of what keeps the flow of the game going. Instead of seeing view targets over and over as in sporting.
X targets are an extra challenge. I like that.
Don’t necessarily care for the one cartridge, one shot single rule as I have always had full use of the gun for all of the other disciplines. Lost one target by loading the single cartridge in the non selected chamber. Hard lesson learned.

99% of the shooters I have shared the field with were positive on the game.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:32 pm 
Limited Edition

Not replacing fitasc for me. It’s faster because you see fewer show birds. The one shot single followed by a two shot bird is stupid.
I can take or leave the x bird.
I would rather shoot new style fitasc even if a couple of bucks has to go to the French

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:38 pm 
Crown Grade

3 of the 4 field layouts are very similar to FITASC aspects

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nice write up Oneounce, enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:09 am 
Tournament Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:

I have never shot AFS but from listening to the Podcast about it I didn't get the impression speeding up FITASC was the primary objective. The two big take aways I got was being less rigid than FITASC (mount rules, ammo rules, pre shot routine rules ect). And making friendly for clubs to throw compared to FITASC (layout options), less experience needed for refs, ability to throughput more shooters.

So the speed of play aspect is more of a byproduct of the objective to be friendly on clubs than anything else. I think this also does benefit most shooters too because they can likely get in a 100 SC and a AFS layout in the same day if they would like.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:22 am 
Crown Grade

I haven’t shot it yet, but sure look forward to doing so this summer when Quail Point puts on their first ever AFS event.

Very thankful for the recent article in ClayShootingUSA by Kerry Luft. He did a fantastic job of introducing the sport to those who haven’t tried it, but plan on doing so.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:56 am 
Crown Grade

The AFS website has the latest version/rules and formats. Each video of each layout is about 2:30 to watch. Gives a good overview of what to expect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

if you watch the videos of guys shooting it, it moves along like five stand has a twist of fitasc to it, and blends super sporting into the mix, what's not to love? the only downside for me is that I have wait till July to shoot it.

Such is life

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:11 pm 
Limited Edition

So you can break them all and still have a lost bird?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Supposed to have an AFS event at the facility just south of Boston in mid July. I have it on my list to go check out if it fits life’s schedule. Roughly 4 hours drive for me.

It sounds interesting and diffrent and I am intrigued.

Beretta A400 20 Gauge

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:18 pm 
Crown Grade

JonnyRocket wrote:
So you can break them all and still have a lost bird?

???? not sure I understand your question. You could actually miss 4 regular targets and still wind up with a 100 if you break all 4 X birds with the first shot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shot the AFS at the Meadows late Friday.
It was a hoot. I had a goal to break at least one of the X birds, and that I did.
And I broke it on the 1st shot. The airhorn is a neat reward.

I hope it catches on, I enjoyed it more than 5 std or Fitasc.

Know Guns --- Know Peace --- Know Safety
No Guns --- No Peace --- No Safety

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:47 pm 
Crown Grade

I was there at lunch - we had rain...........scores from sunny Saurday and Sunday were noticeably higher but it was still a lot of fun; I liked the different format at each layout.

Quote:
I hope it catches on, I enjoyed it more than 5 std or Fitasc.

I agree, and even more than standard sporting clays with 4-5 repetitive pairs