ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: American Field Sporting - I like it!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:29 pm 
Crown Grade

A lot of AFS information can be found at https://americanfieldsporting.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:38 am 
Presentation Grade

It may become popular in America but Fitasc is the International game !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I plan to shoot it when I can but so far it just seems like FITASC and 5-stand with slightly tweaked rules and I don't see the point. You need a ref and everything so why not just throw FITASC? Less rules? We'll see how long that lasts. Besides the reputation that FITASC has for rigid rules and hard targets isn't really true.

Youtube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:02 am 
Limited Edition

My first impression is there is more rules than FITASC. Trying too hard to be different.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:32 am 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
JonnyRocket wrote:
So you can break them all and still have a lost bird?

???? not sure I understand your question. You could actually miss 4 regular targets and still wind up with a 100 if you break all 4 X birds with the first shot.
But AFS is based on 26, not 25 birds. It's the only game where a hit still may count as a loss.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:13 am 
Crown Grade

Syreel wrote:

And, (never thought I'd say this) FITASC rules are less convoluted than AFS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 am 
Crown Grade

mwr01 wrote:
Syreel wrote:

And, (never thought I'd say this) FITASC rules are less convoluted than AFS.

Until you get to targets where sometimes they are noted and other times when they are established.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:39 am 
Crown Grade

Feeeetask! wrote:
I plan to shoot it when I can but so far it just seems like FITASC and 5-stand with slightly tweaked rules and I don't see the point. You need a ref and everything so why not just throw FITASC? Less rules? We'll see how long that lasts. Besides the reputation that FITASC has for rigid rules and hard targets isn't really true.

Because each layout has a different procedure/variation on presentations as opposed to each parcour having three hoops.
I remember folks whining about FITASC over English Sporting and different rules and formats.............funny how any time something is presented in a different format, folks complain.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:54 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Feeeetask! wrote:

Because each layout has a different procedure/variation on presentations as opposed to each parcour having three hoops.
I remember folks whining about FITASC over English Sporting and different rules and formats.............funny how any time something is presented in a different format, folks complain.

I haven’t shot it yet so this is conjecture. But I would think the menu at each hoop would keep everything pretty clear and directed. The ref is there to do his/her job and guide the squad along and the menu should be able to illustrate what needs to happen while the shooter is in the hoop

It is a different take and hybrid form of other things we like. It sounds interesting and could be another thing grounds could offer shooters to sell targets and entertain

Beretta A400 20 Gauge

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:43 pm 
Limited Edition

I shot it last summer. It is OK but no great shakes. It is so similar to FITASC I just don't see the point. I am signed up for a couple at the regionals I am attending but still a little undecided on if the expense is worth it.....as well as the ammo when already shooting fitasc and SS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

The ref's are supposed to be "Ambassadors of the Game" according to the founder of AFS. They are there to help you through the layout. They describe each trajectory, let you know what the next target is and are there to help in general - they do not get you stuck in a technicality (oh - you practiced a mount of your gun or swung on an imaginary target line while in the hoop prior to calling for a bird - "WARNING - the next one will cost you!"; Well that stinks that you setup on the B target and we are on the D target - sucks to be you!) - this is why on the one-shot singles - they remind you to "load one", and on the two-shot "Load-two".

I feel that the simplified the no-bird rules in the latest version of the rules are easy to understand.
One show bird and shooting all of the menu without changing shooters speeds this up greatly.

All about getting more shooters through and faster.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

when I 1st went to NSCA Nationals , there was no small gauge. Then there was no super-sporting , then no small gauge Fitasc.

Innovation is good. maybe it'll go as good as the other new things.

I wish they'd offer small gauge super-sporting at Nationals like they do at most local tournaments.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:30 pm 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
when I 1st went to NSCA Nationals , there was no small gauge. Then there was no super-sporting , then no small gauge Fitasc.

Innovation is good. maybe it'll go as good as the other new things.

I wish they'd offer small gauge super-sporting at Nationals like they do at most local tournaments.

Innovation is definitely a good thing. Change can be good and refreshing

And small gauge super sounds really fun. Have never had it offered up in my corner of the shooting world. Small gauge anything is a good thing.

Beretta A400 20 Gauge

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:

FITASC is an entirely different game than English Sporting. AFS is just the same thing we have already with slightly different rules. I will shoot it myself before deciding but I'm not a fan of trying to push out FITASC because of flip flops or because they are headquartered in France or some other nonsense reason.

Youtube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:59 pm 
Crown Grade

No one is looking to push out FITASC, but something different that also allows for more participants than FITASC does at a typical event.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
No one is looking to push out FITASC, but something different that also allows for more participants than FITASC does at a typical event.

Although I agree to point that no one is trying push out FITASC there is a pretty clear and established bone to pick with the FITASC organization in the founding of AFS. So to a certain extent if AFS were successful in pushing out FITASC in the US (not likely anytime soon of ever) the founders of AFS would smile and say job well done.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Lacyb wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

Although I agree to point that no one is trying push out FITASC there is a pretty clear and established bone to pick with the FITASC organization in the founding of AFS. So to a certain extent if AFS were successful in pushing out FITASC in the US (not likely anytime soon of ever) the founders of AFS would smile and say job well done.

Make no mistake, AFS is targeting FITASC. To think otherwise would be naive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I’m just fine with that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:30 am 
Diamond Grade

i'm not. FITASC is definitely my favorite game in clays. I like the rules and like just about everything about how it works.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:47 am 
Crown Grade

DKW1 wrote:
Lacyb wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

Make no mistake, AFS is targeting FITASC. To think otherwise would be naive.

The game or the organization?
I seem to recall there was some discussion, (maybe on this forum) about some members on the NSCA committee that were disenfranchised with NSCA and were looking to possibly form a competing organization and this came about as a result. (Then again, maybe my memory is faulty).
If you mean the game itself, I think Super Sporting started that. I like them all. At the SE Regional, I will be shooting the FITASC and Super Sporting only - if they had this again, I would add it as well.