ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips for tower shot
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

I went shooting today and there was a new setup at the course. One station had a true pair off a tower, located behind and a little to the left of the cage. I could break the targets sometimes but it's clear I need to work on this station. I would say the tower is about 40 feet tall. I always have a hard time with where my visual hold should be and also if I should turn to look back at the tower or not. Does footwork change for these shots or not really? I am a lefty. The two standard targets were flying from behind me and going over and away just to my left.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Tips for tower shot
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:07 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm just a class "C" sporting clays guy, so not an expert by any means. But I just set my feet for where I think I'm going to break the targets and lower the gun, keep my eyes on where I can see them comfortably and quickly, and then when I see them, mount the gun and shoot.
Also a lefty.

Not sure that'll help you any.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:02 am 
Presentation Grade

Outgoing target probably thrown pretty hard. That calls for shooting with gun pre-mounted.

That limits your ability to pivot and swing body around. Especially for lefty shooter looking back for a bird high and left. I use my ears to listen for the trap firing. Establish my timing off that cue. Lift head straight up off the stock and set your eyes over to the left enough to get on the bird's flight path.

Watch and establish the flight path of the birds very precisely. This essentially is a narrow shot window for you, since you can't shoot until bird is out front a little, you can't get your eyes back very far, you sure don't want to rotate your shooting shoulder OR your head around toward the trap because you will not be able to recover easily and get your head down onto the stock.

So, hold point out a little farther from trap than you might expect. Eyes slightly closer to trap and soft focused on the path the bird will take. Trust the bird to be on the path. Eyes pick up the flash of the bird and get gun up to speed quickly. You HAVE to remember the path and stay low and in front of the bird especially if the bird path is flat or downward, regardless of which lead method you use. (I use a maintained lead myself on this presentation.) Break point should determine where you set your feet, so you can have your body neutral at break, not coiled against your core muscles. Commit to shooting at the break point, and learn how to get your timing right and your hold point at the right spot so you don't start throwing the gun trying to catch the bird.

In other words, plan it, set up for it, see it, match and pull lead, and honor the break point you planned for. This is not a presentation where you wait to see how the bird is flying in wind - in fact you have no time to wait. Think narrow window, or the bird gets way out and makes a really hard shot out of this setup. Once you get your timing clues down, and remember where the path and break is, this becomes a fairly easy shot because there is not a lot of gun motion.

Kinda what AM says on his recent video instructional material, since I just pulled that disc out and re-watched the Overhead Target chapter before completing this reply. Yes, I figured this was an open-book exam.... :wink:

good luck, garrisonjoe

Last edited by garrisonjoe on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:31 am 
Presentation Grade

For the targets in this thread I use the same type of setup as H1 skeet, tight choke and narrow angles work for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:37 am 
Crown Grade

Life of Riley I wrote a comprehensive article for SC magazine in 2000 called "Tall Towers, Short answers." Please let me have a private e mail and I will be happy to send you the complete article.

www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:14 am 
Limited Edition

Oh dear, time to make a large batch of popcorn and get comfortable

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:41 am 
Crown Grade

Life of Riley wrote:
I went shooting today and there was a new setup at the course. One station had a true pair off a tower, located behind and a little to the left of the cage. I could break the targets sometimes but it's clear I need to work on this station. I would say the tower is about 40 feet tall. I always have a hard time with where my visual hold should be and also if I should turn to look back at the tower or not. Does footwork change for these shots or not really? I am a lefty. The two standard targets were flying from behind me and going over and away just to my left.

Thanks in advance

40 feet is less than 15 yards away; it seems, from your description, as a variation on skeet H1.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:05 am 
Crown Grade

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2708270582763274
Keep your shoulders square. Use your feet and lower body to unwind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:16 am 
Presentation Grade

Believe the OP was looking for help on tower thrown OUTGOING birds, whereas that Digweed video is about driven birds (tower launched incomers).

good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:29 am 
Crown Grade

Same principal using your body and feet and not rolling your shoulders.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:48 am 
Limited Edition

Three tips for tower shots.

1. Gun speed
2. Gun speed
3. Gun speed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:59 am 
Tournament Grade

I don't believe I can improve on Rogers advice but I will add a tid bit. There was a similar set up at a fun shoot this past weekend. I went 7/8. They were a report pair, coming from behind and to the right. I dropped the first bird of the last pair. Got cocky - hold point a wee bit too high - the clay got beneath the gun and that was when panic hit and I expect my gun looked like I was conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra. :roll: :?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I got to the shooting grounds 4 days this week. I worked on the tower shot and am having much better success on it. The first day I shot it there was a very strong wind so that of course makes things difficult. The bad news is that after the first day I shot it, I went back the next day and apparently as they put two traps in the tower(it was a true pair), one of the traps broke as its arm ended up hitting the house door at some point in time. Regardless I shot it as a single and my hits went way up. It feels good when you get a sight picture down and start smashing them on a regular basis. Of course there's always something I struggle with in a day of shooting, and it's what keeps me coming back:)

Pete, if you see this I just printed your article off of the email you sent me. I will read it tomorrow and am looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

lt0026 wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2708270582763274
Keep your shoulders square. Use your feet and lower body to unwind.

I didn't know that FB had stuff like this. I may have to go over to the dark side and sign up.
:lol: