ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Texas Sporting Clays and BBQ Trip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:01 am 
Field Grade

Our small cadre up here in the PNW are thinking of putting together a trip combining two of our favorite things: clays and BBQ

Was hoping the TX members here could recommend a 3-5 day trip combining the two

Really, the agenda would be:

- Fly into TX
- Rent the SUV
- Shoot, eat
- Travel to next area
- repeat (2 to 3x)
- Fly home

Where should we fly in to start our trip?

Could we squeeze in a course near Lockhart?

Appreciate the input

Happy Easter!

Post subject: Re: Texas Sporting Clays and BBQ Trip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:56 am 
Presentation Grade

Take your pick:
fly into either San Antonio or Houston
shoot courses around Houston, head over to San Antonio/Austin area courses (Lockhart on the way) or do the reverse Sa then over to Houston area. American Dream vacations has RV rentals in both SA and Houston. Used them for 7-8 years and very happy with their units. Houston and SA have great courses and lots of great BBQ.

Go to the NSCA site to look for list of courses.

TSSA Life Member
NRA Life Member
Ducks Unlimited
Trout Unlimited

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Be careful when and where you go. Three of the best clubs in Houston are private. The NSC in San Antonio is usually only open to the public on Thursday and Saturday. Many clubs are closed on Monday and Tuesday.

You can also fly into DFW and shoot the courses in Fort Worth and west. You can head for the Hill Country from there if you wish. It's a big state so you can only go so many places in 3 days.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:47 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I believe that American Shooting Centers taken walk in shooters. Greater Houston may also do this also but I am not sure. I have taught and set targets at both places and they are both good clubs. Austin has, I believe two clubs now. Austin Sporting Clays and Capital Skeet and Trap. I have never shot at the first one but I have set a lot of targets at Capital City.

Of course, there is nothing like NSC at headquarters. Ruddy's has great barbecue. Also, if you like Cajun seafood, Pappadeaux is the best anywhere. Their is one in San Antonio and Houston. I think they have one at the airport. Don't miss a chance of going and eating the best food anywhere. I like the Crawfish Trio. The sea bass with butternut squash is great too. In fact, any this you order is first class.

Mike McAlpine

We Also have a large club in San Angelo. We are a short drive (200 miles) from San Antonio. You will travel on Interstate 10 until you get to Sonora and the cut off on Hwy 277 North. Just put in The San Angelo Claybird Association in your GPS. it will take you right to the club. We have held the Texas State championships I believe 6 times. I was one of the two founders of the club and we have been in business 35. If you would like a lesson email me or let me know and I will come out an shoot with you. I have a full day clinic for four people for $1,000.00. If yo have more that that, I will keep the price the same. Just remember, the more people you have, the less time I will be able to spend less time with each of you. I will stay as long and there is enough light to shoot. The Club is Open on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday and Sunday. I might be able to get the manager to open on other days. It just depends on what he is doing. I ran the club for 20 years and designed the courses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:13 pm 
Field Grade

Capital Clays in Austin is a good place to shoot. They are non-member/member club open Wed-Sun, but are restricted to member only during Covid (since they lease their land from the city of Austin). However, since I am a member, I can have guests shoot with me. They have an eight station, six station, and twelve station Sporting Clays course, two five stand stations, trap and skeet fields. This place is probably 40 miles from the BBQ Capital of Texas, Lockhart. PM me if you plan to shoot here.

Check with the National Sporting Clays complex in San Antonio. They allow some shooting during the week if there isn’t an event planned.

A great place to shoot is the 74 Resort Ranch in Campbellton, Texas, about an hour or so south of San Antonio. It is a 28,000 acre ranch that specializes in exotic hunts, but also has a Sporting Clays course. They have an event called a 24 hour shoot, where you arrive at noon, eat lunch, then head out in carts on a 3 mile loop to shoot. You shoot as many targets as you want, eat supper, then relax in the evening in the clubhouse. Next day, eat breakfast, head back out and shoot until noon, then eat lunch. Lodging is provided and the food is fabulous.
All targets are provided with the package, you just need to bring your own ammo. My group in the past has usually shot two to seven cases of shells per person for the 24 hour shoot. Some stations have up to eight trap machines, are all wireless so you can move around to shoot the targets from different angles and distances. They also have a 120’ and 80’ tower that are pretty challenging. I don’t know how Covid has affected them, but the 74 Resort Ranch ought to be on any clay shooters bucket list. Give Milo Abercrombie a call to check on availability. I believe they require at least four people to book a reservation.

Most clubs may be limited in ammo supply, so check first or bring your own.

Last edited by clayshooter55 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:19 pm 
Field Grade

Another place to consider north of San Antonio is Joshua Creek Ranch in Boerne, Texas. It has lodging and Sporting Clays in a scenic hill country setting. I don’t believe they have carts, so you have to walk the course.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Skip Lockhart, it's disappointing. Just eat local BBQ near wherever you're shooting. I'm sure it will be better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

I would fly into DFW, shoot Fossil Pointe, Greystone, Elm Fork, and Defender. Greystone is managed by a National Champ William “Bubba” Walton and some of the best targets and even better terrain. Here is a link to some good BBQ joints. Have Fun!

https://dallas.eater.com/maps/dallas-fo ... bs-sausage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Mike McAlpine wrote:
I believe that American Shooting Centers taken walk in shooters. Greater Houston may also do this also but I am not sure. I have taught and set targets at both places and they are both good clubs. Austin has, I believe two clubs now. Austin Sporting Clays and Capital Skeet and Trap. I have never shot at the first one but I have set a lot of targets at Capital City.

Of course, there is nothing like NSC at headquarters. Ruddy's has great barbecue. Also, if you like Cajun seafood, Pappadeaux is the best anywhere. Their is one in San Antonio and Houston. I think they have one at the airport. Don't miss a chance of going and eating the best food anywhere. I like the Crawfish Trio. The sea bass with butternut squash is great too. In fact, any this you order is first class.

Mike McAlpine

We Also have a large club in San Angelo. We are a short drive (200 miles) from San Antonio. You will travel on Interstate 10 until you get to Sonora and the cut off on Hwy 277 North. Just put in The San Angelo Claybird Association in your GPS. it will take you right to the club. We have held the Texas State championships I believe 6 times. I was one of the two founders of the club and we have been in business 35. If you would like a lesson email me or let me know and I will come out an shoot with you. I have a full day clinic for four people for $1,000.00. If yo have more that that, I will keep the price the same. Just remember, the more people you have, the less time I will be able to spend less time with each of you. I will stay as long and there is enough light to shoot. The Club is Open on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday and Sunday. I might be able to get the manager to open on other days. It just depends on what he is doing. I ran the club for 20 years and designed the courses.

American Shooting Center is public. It’s huge but I would be very disappointed if I traveled to shoot there. Greater Houston is very private. You’ll need to be with a member to shoot there. Austin Gun Club is actually in Lampasas, over an hour from Austin.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:34 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

draw,

Thanks for the update. Since I quit shooting at the 2016 nationals, I have lost touch with many of the clubs. By the way, if you go to ASC, all of the shooting stands and gun racks were made by me. :D

Mike McAlpine

I remember thinking that Greater Houston was private. I used to shoot the Texas State Trap Shoot there and once came in runner up in the Lone Star doubles (The Prelim event) At that shoot, I was on my way to shoot my same handicap score(a 98) the year before at Amarillo but fell apart on the last station. Got to thinking about it LOL

Brad, what do you a Californian know about Texas BarBecue? I have had barbecue in California and while it was okay (cooked by a man from Oklahoma) it didn't compare to Texas Bar Be que. Sorry to disagree with you but I guess it is a habit now. :lol: {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

texas state shoot, San Antonio at the mother ship. Cooper's bbq, Llano about two hours north

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:51 pm 
Crown Grade

BMPregler wrote:
I would fly into DFW, shoot Fossil Pointe, Greystone, Elm Fork, and Defender. Greystone is managed by a National Champ William “Bubba” Walton and some of the best targets and even better terrain. Here is a link to some good BBQ joints. Have Fun!

That’s a solid plan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

I’d start in with itinerary above ... then head South to Austin and as mentioned shoot cap city then get a lesson from Gebben Miles at Hog Heaven in Dripping Springs. ( it’s an over
the top venue that’s private).
Iron Works BBQ on 1st in Austin and Louie Miller’s in Taylor are top pics.

Then drive South to Joshua Creek for a round of clays and then to the NSCA mothership. Perhaps a stop at San Antonio Gun Club for a few rounds of Bunker just because you can’t shoot it everywhere ... if you enjoy Bunker then over to Fredericksburg for a few winery’s & Pfiesters BBQ which isn’t a fancy place but it’s GOOD. Then over to Kerrville to shoot Bunker at Hill Country Sports where the Olympic selection shoots are done. Then down south to 74 ranch for the 24 hr special. Then.... head to Houston for your final shoot at Greater Houston which IMHO is the finest club in Texas. The key here will be aligning the calendar for a NSCA shoot to be on the same weekend. There’s also Blackwood in in Conroe and Super Dave’s place in Sealy. For BBQ on the trip from San Antonio try Lulling City Meat Market and in Houston try Blood Brothers BBQ.

Enjoy,
DL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:11 pm 
Crown Grade

tresamigovizslas wrote:
I’d start in with itinerary above ... then head South to Austin and as mentioned shoot cap city then get a lesson from Gebben Miles at Hog Heaven in Dripping Springs. ( it’s an over
the top venue that’s private).
Iron Works BBQ on 1st in Austin and Louie Miller’s in Taylor are top pics.

Then drive South to Joshua Creek for a round of clays and then to the NSCA mothership. Perhaps a stop at San Antonio Gun Club for a few rounds of Bunker just because you can’t shoot it everywhere ... if you enjoy Bunker then over to Fredericksburg for a few winery’s & Pfiesters BBQ which isn’t a fancy place but it’s GOOD. Then over to Kerrville to shoot Bunker at Hill Country Sports where the Olympic selection shoots are done. Then down south to 74 ranch for the 24 hr special. Then.... head to Houston for your final shoot at Greater Houston which IMHO is the finest club in Texas. The key here will be aligning the calendar for a NSCA shoot to be on the same weekend. There’s also Blackwood in in Conroe and Super Dave’s place in Sealy. For BBQ on the trip from San Antonio try Lulling City Meat Market and in Houston try Blood Brothers BBQ.

Enjoy,
DL

Sounds like a plan.....work the metroplex over, the Hill country, and then finish in Houston and fly out from there. 74 Ranch is a must as is Bunker at Kerrville. You can always go to nice clubs around the country but shooting Bunker at Kerrville with that view is special as is 74 Ranch. After these 3 stops you probably will be shot out but a good feeling, some good memories and good BBQ and Mexican food.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:22 pm 
Crown Grade

I shot three or four clubs around Dallas, and ate at three or four BBQ joints there too, and enjoyed ALL of them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Plus one for Coopers in Llano. How about adding in a round of Helice while you're in Texas. That is still on my bucket list.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:25 am 
Field Grade

drawdc wrote:
BMPregler wrote:

That’s a solid plan.

First, welcome to Texas!
Day one - Fly to DFW and stay near the airport on the first night. Eat at Pappa's BBQ on Northwest highway. ( I am assuming that you will not have time to shoot on day one due to flying in from PNW)

Day two - Shoot at Elm Fork in Dallas minutes from DFW and eat at Hard Eight BBQ in Coppell. Owned by Scotty Robertson, this club is right on the Trinity River.

Day three - Check out of hotel and head west to Defender Clay Sports Ranch and spend the day shooting with Travis Mears and his great crew. Two 100 bird courses plus a 50 bird course with a Super Sport overlay - also the largest five stand in Texas. The shooting stations are covered with benches and built in gun racks. Eat lunch at Railhead BBQ on Montgomery Street in Fort Worth - Best pork ribs in the world and great Brisket.

At the end of the day head west for about an hour for a stay at Greystone Castle. Yes it is a castle on a hill top with incredible views and 5 star lodging. Not cheap but worth it for the views and experience. New York Hill Cafe is next door with a great breakfast. I know you said BBQ - But the best chicken fried steak in the world is a few mile away in tiny Strawn, Tx at world famous Mary's Cafe. Do not miss this. Get the large CFS and try not to OD on the cream gravy and COLD BEER. The large CFS comes on its own plate with sides on a second plate.

Day four - spend the day shooting at Greystone managed by William Walton. Incredible terrain, great targets, and you may get to see some amazing critters on this high fence hunting area. Back to Mary's cafe for anything on the menu.

Day five - make about a 1.5 hour drive back to DFW and head back to PNW in a protein coma, after having shot at three world class venues.

Remember, Texas is a large place. This is absolutely the best plan to get in over 1000 targets if you want to, dine on the best BBQ there is to offer anywhere, see beautiful and very varied terrain and stay within easy driving distance. Any other plan would waste days driving instead of shooting and indulging in gluttony.

Hope you can make it.

PM me and I will try to shoot with you at Defender.

PS. If you can squeeze in an extra day you can circle up to Fossil Pointe near Decatur, Tx for another day of shooting and protein at Sweetie Pies Rib Eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:51 am 
Crown Grade

shotgunvette wrote:
drawdc wrote:
BMPregler wrote:

That’s a solid plan.

First, welcome to Texas!
Day one - Fly to DFW and stay near the airport on the first night. Eat at Pappa's BBQ on Northwest highway. ( I am assuming that you will not have time to shoot on day one due to flying in from PNW)

Stay and shoot summer packages at Greystone Castle start May 1st.
Day two - Shoot at Elm Fork in Dallas minutes from DFW and eat at Hard Eight BBQ in Coppell. Owned by Scotty Robertson, this club is right on the Trinity River.

Day three - Check out of hotel and head west to Defender Clay Sports Ranch and spend the day shooting with Travis Mears and his great crew. Two 100 bird courses plus a 50 bird course with a Super Sport overlay - also the largest five stand in Texas. The shooting stations are covered with benches and built in gun racks. Eat lunch at Railhead BBQ on Montgomery Street in Fort Worth - Best pork ribs in the world and great Brisket.

At the end of the day head west for about an hour for a stay at Greystone Castle. Yes it is a castle on a hill top with incredible views and 5 star lodging. Not cheap but worth it for the views and experience. New York Hill Cafe is next door with a great breakfast. I know you said BBQ - But the best chicken fried steak in the world is a few mile away in tiny Strawn, Tx at world famous Mary's Cafe. Do not miss this. Get the large CFS and try not to OD on the cream gravy and COLD BEER. The large CFS comes on its own plate with sides on a second plate.

Day four - spend the day shooting at Greystone managed by William Walton. Incredible terrain, great targets, and you may get to see some amazing critters on this high fence hunting area. Back to Mary's cafe for anything on the menu.

Day five - make about a 1.5 hour drive back to DFW and head back to PNW in a protein coma, after having shot at three world class venues.

Remember, Texas is a large place. This is absolutely the best plan to get in over 1000 targets if you want to, dine on the best BBQ there is to offer anywhere, see beautiful and very varied terrain and stay within easy driving distance. Any other plan would waste days driving instead of shooting and indulging in gluttony.

Hope you can make it.

PM me and I will try to shoot with you at Defender.

PS. If you can squeeze in an extra day you can circle up to Fossil Pointe near Decatur, Tx for another day of shooting and protein at Sweetie Pies Rib Eyes.

Stay and shoot summer packages packages start May 1st at Greystone Castle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:41 am 
Field Grade

Thank you to everyone who took the time to write a response to our query

A lot of awesome suggestions, now time to compile into a spreadsheet

Thanks again, safe shooting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:58 am 
Crown Grade

digger13 wrote:
Thank you to everyone who took the time to write a response to our query

A lot of awesome suggestions, now time to compile into a spreadsheet

Thanks again, safe shooting

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you will have a great time. Hard to beat shooting and eating in the Lone Star State.