All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Texas Sporting Clays and BBQ Trip
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Hard Eight for the win !!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:18 am 
Presentation Grade

I think if you only have 3 days on the ground here in TX you need to pick a region and stick to it. Driving 4 or 5 hours between major metro areas is going to kill shooting/eating time.

If you plan it right you should be able to fly in on a Thursday morning, shoot somewhere in the afternoon, shoot somewhere friday, then get a registered shoot in on Saturday & Sunday before flying out Sunday night.

I mainly shoot DFW so my clubs would be the ones mentioned, Defender, Fossil Pointe, Elm Fork, Greystone and I would add Texas Gun Ranch. Fly in, on Thursday, shoot Elm Fork that afternoon, its near the airport, shoot Fossile Point Friday morning, Defender Friday evening, head to Greystone and shoot a registered shoot there on Sat and then head east to TGR for a Sunday shoot, you are back checked in a DFW Airport by 330pm and headed home by 5pm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

where will you get shells ?

Just curious.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:51 am 
Presentation Grade

tresamigovizslas wrote:
I’d start in with itinerary above ... then head South to Austin and as mentioned shoot cap city then get a lesson from Gebben Miles at Hog Heaven in Dripping Springs. ( it’s an over
the top venue that’s private).

Just FYI, Gebben is no longer at Hog Heaven, but Trevor Jensen and Cory Kruse both teach out of there right now.

Gebben is back in Tucson, teaching with Karen Shedd at Coyote Springs, or a private range up near Arizona City.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:42 am 
Presentation Grade

One more thing, giddy up ! It’s getting warmer every day and it’s best to do your trip before June or after Mid September.

If you wait till fall you might want to add a white wing hunt to your list.

https://www.stoneyarddovehunt.com/

But warning it’s more addictive than clay shooting with no known cure.

DL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:37 am 
Field Grade

sera wrote:
where will you get shells ?

Just curious.

I can't speak for the other clubs, but Defender Clay Sports Ranch is a one case limit with purchase of 100 targets for non members.