ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I think I need a vest.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:27 am 
Field Grade

John Storm makes a great product. I have a jacket and a vest from them.

https://www.stormshooting.com/

NSCA #520095
New Berlin, WI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:36 am 
Tournament Grade

hopper810 wrote:
The Wild Hare do run to size.

Seems like a ton of people really like the Wild Hare and they look nice.

Any idea where they're made?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Shoot the Moon is in Colorado and they're great folks to work with. If you need the sizing to be tweaked a bit, they'll work with you to make sure you get what you need.

https://www.stmgear.com/store/comersus_index.asp

Thanks for the confirmation, I had assumed they were USA Made, but couldn't find anything on their website to confirm my thoughts.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:26 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Novak,

I have used many brands of vest in the last 49 years but I believe that the Wild Hair vest were the most comfortable for me. I still have both a summer (Mesh) and winter vest im my closet. If memory serves me right, Wild Hair donated the special made Team USA vest for the very first Team USA Super School that I formed way back in 1997 or 1998. These were given to the 20 students who paid $2000.00 each to attend this school. Since I was a new NSCA Chief Instructor at the time, I wanted to help raise funds for our two teams. I picked our very best level III coaches for this school. They were, Gary Greenway, Vance Barnes, Martin Jones, Gill and Vicki Ash, Johnny Mitzed, David Fiedler and myself. Each of us took on a subject that we were good at. This way, our students, who we all taught half a day for five days would get something from each of us. Bobby Fowler, the reigning national champion came and shot one afternoon for us. He asked if he could come and be a part of this school so I invited him to come and shoot for us.

Everything was donated for the school. All of the instructors including Bobby came and helped for free. Winchester donated all of the Ammo. White Flyer, the targets, As I mentioned Wild hair the vest and Lonesome Charlie Parker a hand crafted leather shell pouches. NSC donated the complex where I went three days early and set some very special courses. I couldn't have done this without out the help from Pete Mash and Barney Brown. These Guys were the best at moving machines and setting up what I wanted in the courses. NSCA Fed all of us dinner each night and had breakfast burritos each morning plus a lite lunch. As you can see, this was a real team effort among all of us.

David Radulovich, who was eight or nine in those days, came and was a student. David attended one of my level I instructor schools a few months earlier and I mented this school to his dad. While at the Super School School, Gary was working with him on shooting big tower shots. This was on the Big Red Tower on the Red Course. I had set this presentation to be about 60 yards out and very high. Gary ,in his old Southern accent, said "David, if you can break three of these targets, I will buy you a watermelon. Well, because it was February, Gary had a hard time finding a watermelon in San Antonio. I went with him to look for one and it must have been 1:00am before we found one. David, had broken 8/10 on the tower and he kicked everyone's adult Butt. LOL

This school started a tradition that lasted well after I left as Chief Instructor. I believe that year, we made $40,000 for our team. Jon Kruger always tracked me down and told me to tell everyone thank you. Jon was an still is a class act in my book. (No, not my target setting book) LOL We gave each team (The National and the International Teams) $20,000 each to help them with their expenses.

These were some of the best days in my career. I had a fantastic time teaching and setting the courses, plus meeting all of the students. I made some great and lifelong friends from these schools. Yes, they were the best of times and I guess I thought they would never end but they did end for me in 2005. This was of my own choosing and it was because of all of the politics. I ended up in everything that was political in the sport. I wish I hadn't done this because I made some enemies during this time. This was because I wouldn't join a group or take sides. I would suggest to you NOT to get involved in the Politics.

Mike McAlpine

Sorry if I hijacked this thread. It was not intentional

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Beretta vests for me, the value and the overall quality and durability is good, plus you can always find one on sale somewhere

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like the classic UK made BSA Ltd vests. Available in mesh back https://bsaltd.com/pages/L010MB.htm or solid https://bsaltd.com/pages/L010FB.htm

Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I thought the barepelt looked excellent from the back and the printing options would be cool but when I saw the front...I'll pass.

Youtube

Last edited by Feeeetask! on Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:24 am 
Presentation Grade

Do you wear an oversized summer vest to stay cooler?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:03 am 
Presentation Grade

Our club once has a volume order on some Browning vests. One of the guys, last name Tranberg, we called him Tran, got the wrong vest. My buddy looked at him laughing and said, "Tran's vest's tight?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:40 am 
Diamond Grade

My all-time favorite vest was the Columbia Smokin' Clays Vest. I don't know why they discontinued it. I still have and wear mine. Some new old stock can be found on ebay. There's an XL on there now for $55 buy it now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

alternative--wrap the edge of your recoil pad w/ electricians' tape. This will prevent the hanging on your t-shirt.

Where I shoot it is always hot and mostly too hot for any vest.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have been shooting in a Castellani vest for 3 years. Today I received my custom tailored Shoot The Moon vest. It fits perfectly and the attention to detail cannot be matched. I called Jaime with my measurements and it hit my door 7 weeks later. You get to pick all the options you want pockets, colors, custom embroidery etc. I can’t wait to shoot in it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gdub41 wrote:
Beretta vests for me, the value and the overall quality and durability is good, plus you can always find one on sale somewhere

I'll second this. I don't wear a vest often, but when I do, it says Beretta on the back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Warming ...Once you wear a vest / girdle it’s hard to go back to a pouch. And as Sera mentioned above, if you live in a hot climate it may not be comfortable in the summer months.

DL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:49 am 
Field Grade

If you ever get into the low mount games such as fitasc, I think a good fitting vest is critical for consistency.
I love my Castellani vest for a few reasons. They come in a variety of sizes, typical to sports coat jacket sizing. If you’re unsure of sizing, call ultimate shooting accessories. The guys on the phone there are very helpful and they will even let you exchange it if it’s the wrong size. My two favorite things about my Castellani vest are the spandex/stretchy panels sewn into the vest and the Alcantara material (comes on a few Rio models) where you mount the gun. These two things keep the recoil pad area flat and smooth while mounting the gun and shooting. There’s also a cut out in the top of the shoulder on your shooting arm for comfort/mobility, which keeps the fabric from bunching up or pulling.
I started with a $50 browning vest from Cabela’s and it was great for function, but as I started to take fitasc more seriously, a better vest really made a bigger difference for me.
Just my two cents
Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:20 pm 
Field Grade

Please do yourself a favor and call Shoot The Moon. Custom fit, custom colors. Mesh no mesh. Great people, vests the USA Olympic team wears. Made in USA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks to all of your suggestions, I was able to narrow it down to a Shoot the Moon and Castellani. I was 50/50 on which one to get, so I brought the wife in and she voted for a Castellani.

Tom from Ultimate has been great answering all of my questions and I just placed my order :D

Thank you all for the recommendations and insight.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:01 am 
Tournament Grade

I have owned about everything made at one time or another. Currently I use and like Shoot the Moon and Castellani. Castellani does run small, Both are good quality vest and both are a little pricey. STM people are really great to work with and will go out of their way to please you. I don't like anything that fits tight around me, some designs in clothes are intentionally tight fitting this drives me away from them.

Buster