ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How much longer can the season go on?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

YevetS wrote:
At $15.00/box some club is ripping you off.
There was a shoot here yesterday and it had 210 shooters.
So far the clubs around here have all the ammo you want to shoot, but you have to shoot what you buy that day at the club.

Steve

Also I agree with you Steve on this, it's all in where you live, if you live in an area where the prices are higher then yeah some is going to take advantage of the shooters.

Here in the midwest, we haven't seen that problem yet, besides, the people who knew this was coming and bought pallets and or went heavy with their order on flats, are going to shoot regardless

Does it hurt the new guy getting into it, who maybe wasn't ready to take the full finical leap of faith........yeah maybe, then again maybe not.

I know clubs that don't have the ability to buy pallets might have shut down, I know one club did north of me, but that's just narrow sighted and excuse filled.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I find ammo every week at Walmart or the ranges I shoot at. Most of it is reasonably priced and I don't think Walmart four packs have changed. I guess if you don't have those resources around it's going to be a lot harder. I think the season goes on as planned maybe with a small dent in turn out.

Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:52 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

What exactly is the issue in the USA with shotgun ammunition shortage ?
Here in Europe we have no such thing , although I have heard that due to financial wrangling between the UK and the European Union ( who we left after being ripped off by them for years) , cartridges will be increasing in price very soon by up to 10% to 15%.
We currently pay about $9.50 a box of 25 for good quality shells . About $350 for 1,000 if buying in bulk. Remember we have The World Sporting here in July so your Team will need to get plenty of practice in and it is only about 12 weeks away!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:11 am 
Diamond Grade

Even tougher if you have a strong preference on loads be it brand, quality or just weight/velo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:21 am 
Field Grade

The season will go on, the sport will be fine. Clay games are just that, games.

How many of us will continue participating and how many commercial ranges will stay open? Different rhetorical questions - different impossible to know answers...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:39 am 
Limited Edition

salopian wrote:

1. Pandemic
2. Civil unrest and the perceived threat of more (e.g. riots in cities and Capitol attack)
3. An election that many perceive will result in tighter gun control
4. Several high profile shootings that many perceive will result in tighter gun control.

People are buying EVERYTHING gun related!! There are millions of new first time gun buyers. Many buying any ammo that will fit in their guns. They'll buy low base #9 target loads when they can't find 00 buckshot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:48 am 
Presentation Grade

MNGunner wrote:
salopian wrote:

1. Pandemic
2. Civil unrest and the perceived threat of more (e.g. riots in cities and Capitol attack)
4. Several high profile shootings that many perceive will result in tighter gun control.

Add to this:

1. One of the big 3 American makers (Remington) declared bankruptcy and made only a fraction of its usual output;
2. Many other US-based companies rely on Euro components (wads, primers, hulls) that either weren't produced during Covid shutdowns or were slow to arrive after the shutdowns were lifted.
3. The US-based companies also faced restrictions due to social distancing and other health requirements
4. Since new shells weren't being made, existing inventories were depleted and not replenished. Once that happened, every pallet that came off the line went straight out the door and it apparently hasn't improved lately.
5. Finally, people are buying as much as they can whenever they can. A full shelf of shells at Wal-Mart might be good for a month, usually -- now whatever's there is cleaned out immediately.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In other words: “The Perfect Storm”

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:04 am 
Limited Edition

birdshooter1 wrote:
MNGunner wrote:
salopian wrote:

1. Pandemic

Add to this:

1. One of the big 3 American makers (Remington) declared bankruptcy and made only a fraction of its usual output;
2. Many other US-based companies rely on Euro components (wads, primers, hulls) that either weren't produced during Covid shutdowns or were slow to arrive after the shutdowns were lifted.
3. The US-based companies also faced restrictions due to social distancing and other health requirements
4. Since new shells weren't being made, existing inventories were depleted and not replenished. Once that happened, every pallet that came off the line went straight out the door and it apparently hasn't improved lately.
5. Finally, people are buying as much as they can whenever they can. A full shelf of shells at Wal-Mart might be good for a month, usually -- now whatever's there is cleaned out immediately.

Exactly! Unfortunately, I think it will go on for some time--I know there is a ton of pent up demand since people cannot currently get ammo, once available, they will stock up with a vengeance. Myself included probably. I was sighting in one of my .44 mags and after shooting a few boxes of .44 special I've had for years, now realize I burned probably $100 worth of ammo (IF I could even find any).

There's still first time gun buyers trying to buy guns and ammo. I personally have had three people in their 50's that have never owned a gun (and were previously somewhat anti-gun) now are asking what they should buy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... nd-checks/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I ran across a note I made in an old Lyman manual listing component prices in 1979. My cost for 1 1/8 oz loads was $2.52. At the time I was teaching school for $10 grand a yr. Now, after practicing law for almost 40 yrs, I have much more disposable income & am loading 1 oz loads for under $5. Shells haven’t kept up with inflation.
We’ll get through this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:50 am 
Diamond Grade

salopian wrote:
Here in Europe we have no such thing , although I have heard that due to financial wrangling between the UK and the European Union ( who we left after being ripped off by them for years) , cartridges will be increasing in price very soon by up to 10% to 15%.
We currently pay about $9.50 a box of 25 for good quality shells . About $350 for 1,000 if buying in bulk. Remember we have The World Sporting here in July so your Team will need to get plenty of practice in and it is only about 12 weeks away!

The difference is you poor guys can't take a sh!t without getting a gov't license for it but here in the free world we can buy all the guns and ammo we want, the only limitation being our own bank account. That being the case we can react to scares ('civil unrest', pandemic shortages, etc) in a massive way ie buying ammo by the tens of thousands.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:01 pm 
Crown Grade

salopian wrote:

As others have said, mostly panic buying and hoarding.

However, I suspect (cannot document) that US ammunition manufacturers are giving priority to metallic cartridge production because there is far greater demand for product in that category. Shotgunners have been sucked into the vacuum.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

mwr01 wrote:
salopian wrote:

However, I suspect (cannot document) that US ammunition manufacturers are giving priority to metallic cartridge production because there is far greater demand for product in that category. Shotgunners have been sucked into the vacuum.

You cannot load metallic cartridges on shotshell machinery or vice versa. Two separate facilities. All manufacturers of both are running wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

If that's true then there is no issue with material supplies?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:38 pm 
Crown Grade

salopian wrote:
!

Come on man, you know, the thing.

--President Magoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:08 pm 
Crown Grade

GoldenEagle wrote:
mwr01 wrote:
salopian wrote:

You cannot load metallic cartridges on shotshell machinery or vice versa. Two separate facilities. All manufacturers of both are running wide open.

True enough

Maybe, but propellant and priming compound are possible rate limiters.

I don't know, just speculating.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:30 am 
Field Grade

birdshooter1 wrote:
MNGunner wrote:
salopian wrote:

1. Pandemic

Add to this:

Also add the 6-week wait at most ports of entry on the east coast. There's containers full of ammo floating on the Atlantic waiting in line.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:49 am 
Crown Grade

Reloading is popular again. I have plenty of components and roll my own. This stuff has no impact on me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:35 am 
Limited Edition

lt0026 wrote:
Reloading is popular again. I have plenty of components and roll my own. This stuff has no impact on me.

Most reloaders can't find components right now either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:37 am 
Crown Grade

Shot is $45 a bag at the local reloading store. I've got a thousand 209 primers if anybody in Orange County needs them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next