ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I think I need a pouch.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:19 am 
Field Grade

Been following the 'I think I need a vest.' thread and saw sera's comment about too hot, and remember seeing that before about vests. Didn't want to hijack that thread so started this one.

I started shooting again after 20+ years so don't have a vest or pouches. I'm just a casual shooter now, mostly skeet, and will do a little trap and SC when the opportunities come up. I'm thinking a pouch or pouches might be a little simpler way to go . . but there are a lot of different style options for pouches. Single box shell carriers, split pouches seem a little bulky, long pouches seem a little long lol, you get where I'm going with this. If you prefer pouches . . what's your preference, and why do you prefer your pouch set-up?

Post subject: Re: I think I need a pouch.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like the Bob Allen Superior pouch. I like them because they have two compartments in addition to a mesh pocket. When I shoot a 25-round game, such as skeet or 5-stand, I put my shells in the center compartment. Hulls from hits go in the mesh pocket. If there are any misses, those hulls go in the front pocket. At the end of the round, I count the hulls in the "miss" pocket and know my score. This keeps me from getting distracted by my score during the round.

THere seem to be two version of the Bob Allen three-pocket pouch. This one:
https://isportsplus.com/products/bob-allen-superior-shell-pouch-with-belt?gclid=CjwKCAjw6qqDBhB-EiwACBs6x6VU5-Hzrtv8KW-YEbNXq0WbHp8Glax1_0vw4aF1UG6PHMj8WY9HFhoCH-EQAvD_BwE

And this one:
https://dealpodium.com/products/bob-allen-429t-superior-shell-nylon-pouch-with-belt-green-2?gclid=CjwKCAjw6qqDBhB-EiwACBs6x5eCh2Hg-SSx413DxKB3aFrpl0NXZslBPsIxLT_ZIdc-allIqREpoBoCmtsQAvD_BwE

Not sure what the difference is, other than color. Though the blue ones seem to hold a bit better for me. (the weak spot is the belt loop).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lonesome Charlie--mine is one w/3 medium sized pockets. and one small one for things like choke tube wrenches.

I like the three pocket one for regular shells, spreaders, and a towel pocket. It's really hot here.

LC also has smaller sizes. and belts.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:08 pm 
Limited Edition

+1 Lonesome Charlie. They will make anything you want just call them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I either use Lonesome Charlie or a Galco Sporting Clays pouch when clay targeting. I sort of prefer the LC. For shooting flyers and such for field trials and hunt tests, I have a ratty old Filson pouch that is so ancient that I don't care if it gets covered in mud, feathers, and duck fluids.

(These are my dogs, not shotguns) :)

NSCA # 517xxx (since 9/7/94)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Lonesome Charlie, for a belt, pouch and ear plug spring purse. Charlie has been in the business probably 40 years and is a treasure. You will not be disappointed. Everything is hand made by him or his son, I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use an old Bob Allen pouch made out of camo cordura canvas...has two pockets and it is as simple as can be...holds two boxes of shells and if I-need more, my bag master clays bag can carry everything else.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Do you save the spent shells for reloading? If so a double pouch will work or a mesh one with a single box carrier. I have a Boyt double pouch with a zipper on the bottom but I don`t reload anymore so even the double pouch for me is overkill.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:03 am 
Presentation Grade

I have two of these, one in each color. When I go shooting with a person that is not a shotgunner I have a loaner gun and a loaner pouch for them. I usually wear the Sage/Black one and my friend gets the all black one. I reload so all of the empty hulls go in the rear game pocket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067LT5B6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:30 am 
Field Grade

Qdog002 wrote:
Do you save the spent shells for reloading? If so a double pouch will work or a mesh one with a single box carrier. I have a Boyt double pouch with a zipper on the bottom but I don`t reload anymore so even the double pouch for me is overkill.

OP here. This is a great comment and a factor I’ve been considering, so thanks for adding your perspective. I don’t reload any more. I like the KISS approach. A large double pouch or vest feels like overkill for my needs. I think I’m just going to go with a single box carrier for skeet (and pitch the hulls in a bucket at each station), and add a clip on hull bag of some sort (prefer something on the smaller side) for when I’m occasionally shooting trap or SC and a hull bucket is not available at each station. The half vest that Road Man mentions is the other ‘similar’ option.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:41 am 
Presentation Grade

Westender wrote:

OP here. This is a great comment and a factor I’ve been considering, so thanks for adding your perspective. I don’t reload any more. I like the KISS approach. A large double pouch or vest feels like overkill for my needs. I think I’m just going to go with a single box carrier for skeet (and pitch the hulls in a bucket at each station), and add a clip on hull bag of some sort (prefer something on the smaller side) for when I’m occasionally shooting trap or SC and a hull bucket is not available at each station. The half vest that Road Man mentions is the other ‘similar’ option.

A single pouch is fine, if that suits your needs. But, hey, there's no panache in mass produced goods. Treat yourself and have Lonesome Charlie, Tex Hollis or some other custom leather-worker, make EXACTLY what you want.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 am 
Limited Edition

Westender wrote:
Qdog002 wrote:

The single box carrier with a clip on hull bag looks like the setup that will work for you the best. You can add on the hull bag based on whatever discipline your shooting that day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:21 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Albert Ange not only makes the best designed sporting pouch, he makes an incredible NICE leather pouch.

Will Fennell
www.fennellshootingschool.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Will does Albert have a web site for his products?

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:39 pm 
Crown Grade

http://alangele.wwwss21.a2hosted.com/

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Those high-dollar boutique pouches are probably the better deal. I only get a couple of seasons out of a Bob Allen pouch before the belt loop rips.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:16 pm 
Field Grade

Those Albert Ange pouches look exceptionally beautiful for sure. Very classy!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Westender wrote:
Those Albert Ange pouches look exceptionally beautiful for sure. Very classy!

I like this guy's stuff better.
https://www.instagram.com/texhollis/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:44 pm 
Field Grade

Best bang for your buck.

http://africangame.com/store/#!/Leather ... y=12731916

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:27 pm 
Limited Edition

If you ever shoot a round of doubles trap you will need a pouch that holds more than 1 box. You have to show up on the line with at least 50 shells.