ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Base MX8, fixed, no selector for sporting
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Playing with idea of trying an mx8 for a bit. How big a deal is it to not have a selector? I hate changing chokes and almost never do. Have spreaders for in your face stuff.

Post subject: Re: Base MX8, fixed, no selector for sporting
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Put in a pair of .020s or .025s and shoot, no need to worry about selecting barrels or switching chokes anymore.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Put in a pair of .020s or .025s and shoot, no need to worry about selecting barrels or switching chokes anymore.

I get this setup for trap doubles but for SC if you don't swap which barrel is 1st based on closer/further why have two different chokes. I like having 15's or 20's in both and shoot the whole course without changing. Similar to overthinking which choke to use for choke changers I think the same thing could happen if you had different chokes in each barrel. Which one to use 1st and overthinking of you should switch and such.

If it never enters your mind and you shoot without 2nd guessing your barrel selections on pre shot routine or after a miss then more power to you.

I feel at ease with the symmetry of two identical chokes. I do keep the spreaders for in your face too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Mod/Mod and have at it. I have 2 U2s in one gun, and 2 .020 Extremes in another.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:50 am 
Crown Grade

As others do, I like the same choke in both barrels - for sporting M/M.

For what it's worth, I find MX8/12/2000 with choke tubes to be somewhat nose-heavy compared to fixed choke models. If you are looking for a dedicated sporting gun (i.e., no plans to shoot skeet with it), it is probably worth your time to demo both fixed and choke tube models to find out which balance characteristic you prefer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:22 am 
Diamond Grade

This would be a fixed choke gun. Currently M/IM. Would probably want to have the top barrel matched to the bottom and call it good. Definitely do not care for the factory tubed models. They feel like they move a little easier than my K80 but not enough to justify a change.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:38 am 
Crown Grade

The closest to "perfect" that I've had the opportunity to shoot is an MX12 with 33" f/c barrels choked .018/.022 - essentially loose mod/tight mod. The gun moves like a dream and is not for sale. The owner would part with his first-born more easily.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:33 am 
Crown Grade

mwr01 wrote:

For what it's worth, I find MX8/12/2000 with choke tubes to be somewhat nose-heavy compared to fixed choke models. If you are looking for a dedicated sporting gun (i.e., no plans to shoot skeet with it), it is probably worth your time to demo both fixed and choke tube models to find out which balance characteristic you prefer.

Well put.

My 12 sporting clays PGuns are factory choked, but I prefer the lightweight choke tubes. I do have a 28 gauge PGun that's called their "Argentina Special". It's a 31 1/2 inch fixed choke 28 ga. barrel on a 20 gauge frame, with longer forend wood, and 12 gauge like stock. The barrels are .016 (Mod) under and .026 (Full) over. The gun is an a MX12/20frame, and the selector is very user friendly.

It points really well and I've done well with it.

Last edited by Mule Driver on Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:52 am 
Presentation Grade

mwr01 wrote:
The closest to "perfect" that I've had the opportunity to shoot is an MX12 with 33" f/c barrels choked .018/.022 - essentially loose mod/tight mod. The gun moves like a dream and is not for sale. The owner would part with his first-born more easily.

That's a great story, but the .004 difference between the two barrels is not enough to matter. Perceived, not real. What is real is his mind tells him it does matter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:22 am 
Crown Grade

We are at a point in time "where putting Mod/Mod in, and just go shoot" is a popular thing to be part of. And being a "choke changer" is a bad label.

I think at one time or another, most all of us were "choke changers" -- and at every station whether it was needed or not.

And I believe most all of us don't change chokes as much as we used to.

Personally, I start off with Mod/Mod or LM/LM for practice and a competition, and leave them in the whole time for practice. Change them to more open or more tight whenever I think that's appropriate in a competition. Because I truly believe it makes a difference, it's something I need to do to avoid doubt. And doubt can get you in trouble everytime.

I never change from Mod/Mod for 5 Stand or FITASC between parcours. But I know some pretty darn good shooters who do. The key is to do what makes you feel confident and comfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:29 am 
Crown Grade

Mule Driver wrote:
mwr01 wrote:

Well put.

My 12 sporting clays PGuns are factory choked, but I prefer the lightweight choke tubes. I do have a 28 gauge PGun that's called their "Argentina Special". It's a 31 1/2 inch fixed choke 28 ga. barrel on a 20 gauge frame, with longer forend wood, and 12 gauge like stock. The barrels are .016 (Mod) under and .026 (Full) over. The gun is an a MX12 frame, and the selector is very user friendly.

It points really well and I've done well with it.

That sounds very similar to Bruce Buck's Argentina gun, except his is .016 in both barrels, which is a very tight Mod. does great on sporting targets, even those designed on a 12 gauge layout.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:58 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:

That sounds very similar to Bruce Buck's Argentina gun, except his is .016 in both barrels, which is a very tight Mod. does great on sporting targets, even those designed on a 12 gauge layout.

Bruce Buck was the guy who talked me into getting this gun. I've done well with it in 28 gauge sporting events, doves, and released pheasants.

I really like it for 28 ga. FITASC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:01 am 
Crown Grade

I've been trying to talk Bruce out of his; damn Scot that he is (so am I) means we'll probably never agree on a fair price............................(hopefully, he'll put me in his will :mrgreen:)

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use Teague Ti flush mount chokes in both my P-guns that have choke tubes. These are the lightest chokes.

I start M/M and usually never change , unless the targets are stupid far (which can happen when the wind changes). Then IM and F are used.

Better than the 12g is the 20 and 28 two bbls set that I bought due to Buck's article on an Argentina gun. Mine has been to Argentina 3 times.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Also the best triggers EVER is a Perazzi non-selectable bottom/top in that order. There's a little wriggle in the selectable triggers. Not horrible but not purrrrrfect.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:35 am 
Limited Edition

I had Don Rackley install an internal selector in my fixed choke MX8. Simply drop the trigger set and toggle over the selector. Or one can buy a Giuliani trigger set with an external switch for around ~$1,0000.

Dave
https://www.targetshotguns.com/pages/giuliani

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:09 pm 
Crown Grade

GoldenEagle wrote:
mwr01 wrote:

That's a great story, but the .004 difference between the two barrels is not enough to matter. Perceived, not real. What is real is his mind tells him it does matter.

I agree. The gun was advertised (used) as M/M, and on-target performance is the same top and bottom. You would not know the chokes were different without measuring constrictions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Birdhunter I prefer my fixed MX2000 .16/.22 over my thinwalled MX8 avoiding the choke choice distraction. I'm almost to the point of avoiding using the barrel selector unless the first bird is something way out there or edgy. 1 1/8 oz loads in the .16 leaves me pretty confident on 95% of far stuff anyway so I don't bother changing barrels much. I always have a box of spreaders at a shoot but once I tested them I rarely use them for practice. I'd have no problem going .20/.20 with a non selectable trigger at this point and it's said they are slightly better than the selectable but I really can't tell from the ones I have.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Do you think 20/20 fixed is enough for the longest shots?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:02 pm 
Crown Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
Do you think 20/20 fixed is enough for the longest shots?

That depends on the ammo you use and your gun and how it patterns