ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to site and trap shooting
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Thought I would join the forum after reading so many good posts. I have shot my first round of trap this week and it pretty much was a disaster. I was by myself and only had some old reloads that were 7/8oz and a cheap o/u gun. Had trouble getting the voice activation thing working first, and then I was pretty much done. Did not take my time or really have any idea of what to do. I managed to hit some but sure was a lot more difficult than I thought. Never shot shotgun sports any, only rifle and pistol. Got so much to learn and hopefully can find someone at the range to help. I do not know if I will get the bug or not with my terrible shooting. I was trying my best to keep both eyes open and being a rifle shooter it is going to take me some time to learn to keep them open. The ones that I hit were way out there due to my slow timing I guess, but the close ones were missed. I plan to go back tomorrow and not be in a rush and see if that helps. Got so many questions guys, just reading and watching videos to try and learn. Thanks from NC.

Post subject: Re: New to site and trap shooting
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:47 am 
Diamond Grade

Welcome!

When I first started, I found Chris Batha's 'Getting to the Top in Trap' very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XzoCklPKHQ

You can see all his videos by searching Clay Coach Online on Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I highly recommend you abandon the plan to teach yourself on your own and instead, show up at the local club and introduce yourself. I trust the fellas will take you under their wings and help you get started.

Full disclosure: I'm a skeet shooter, not trap, but I had the same experience -- not knowing anything, feeling inadequate, intimidated -- the only way to get past that is to shoot . . . a lot. You don't do that solo. You've got to get out there with the boys and shoot.

Oh, and welcome to SGW.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:46 am 
Presentation Grade

Welcome to SGW. Trap is a game of consistency, rhythm, knowing exactly where your gun shoots and lots of experience. So as you already mentioned slow down, don’t stress the missed birds, or how many eyes you have open. (At least one is important though)
As Blade suggested, reach out to the guys at the club you are shooting alongside. Let them know you are new( they already do)
most guys are eager to help out a newbie, you may even create some new friends. Unlike some of the folks around here may have you believe, not all trap guys are
A-holes. If you give yourself the time you will get better. Good luck !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

trevijazz wrote:
Unlike some of the folks around here may have you believe, not all trap guys are A-holes . . .

True statement . . . but skeet shooters are more better fun and friendly and good humored . . . generally . . .

(Emphasis on "all" is on me . . . :wink: )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am 
Crown Grade

Here is an easy to read old Remington brochure on the basics for American Trap:
http://www.damascusiwla.org/Remington_T ... s_2004.pdf

Explains hold points, foot positions, etc.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

For trap your minimum load should be 1 oz of #8s. 1 1/8 oz of 7.5s is probably the most popular trap load. The shotgun should have a Mod, Improved Mod or Full choke depending on how far out you let the target get before shooting at it. Shooting one-eyed is fine, if that's what feels best or if you are not real strong right eyed dominant. I'm a long-time skeet shooter who started shooting trap about a year ago and having fun with it. It took me a few months to break into the 20s and then another couple months for me to break my first straight. The fellows at the club I shoot at are real friendly.

Check out trap videos on youtube to find our what your hold points should be and practice making a nice, smooth, somewhat aggressive move to the target. You will figure out the leads with practice and some help from other shooters willing to coach you. Remember a trap target is a rising target and with a field gun you will need to swing up thru the target.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the help guys. I did shoot my first round of skeet last week as well, had better luck with it but still missed quite a few. Had some work buddies wanting to shoot so they helped me and I only shot singles. Did enjoy it more as I for one thing it is easier than trap. I bought some Walmart Estate HDCP 1,250 1 1/8'" #7.5 shells in 100 round box today. They probably going be too hot for my old shoulder, but I wanted to try them and see. Probably a waste at the 16 yard line? I do have a question though, should I try to hit them as soon as I see them, or wait till they get out there and slow down? I also read the the bottom barrel has less recoil is that correct? Does it matter which one I use for a new shooter? Or better question is what is easier to hit with top or bottom? One more question :) should I shoot only the 16 yard as a newbie?
Thanks Ron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:04 pm 
Crown Grade

read that brochure I linked to - it is full of all advice on hold points, break points, etc. You want to shoot it while it is still rising.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

ncron wrote:
I do have a question though, should I try to hit them as soon as I see them, or wait till they get out there and slow down? I also read the the bottom barrel has less recoil is that correct? Does it matter which one I use for a new shooter? Or better question is what is easier to hit with top or bottom? One more question :) should I shoot only the 16 yard as a newbie?
Thanks Ron

Should I try to hit them as soon as I see them, or wait till they get out there and slow down?

That kinda depends on what choke you use. For an Improved Cyl or Modified, you will have a more effective pattern closer to the trap house. For Improved Modified or Full Choke, your more effective pattern will be a little farther out, near the apex of their flight. That said, I believe that one should shoot whenever you put your shotgun on the straight-aways or in the proper distance in front of the quartering shots. No good comes from tracking a target once you are on it.

I also read the the bottom barrel has less recoil is that correct? Does it matter which one I use for a new shooter? Or better question is what is easier to hit with top or bottom?

The bottom barrel will have less upward movement on recoil and will likely have less "felt" recoil than the top barrel. The rearward recoil force will be the same for top or bottom barrel. Most shooters of an O/U will use the bottom barrel for singles, assuming it has the better choke for the distance where you are shooting at the target. If you are shooting a fixed choke shotgun that has an Improved Cylinder bottom barrel and a Modified top barrel, I would then recommend using the top barrel for trap. With a shotgun using choke tubes, put the Modified, Improved Modified or Full choke tube in the bottom barrel for singles.

One more question :) should I shoot only the 16 yard as a newbie?

That is the distance where regular singles and doubles events are shot and is where most people will and should start out - - - so, yes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

My 2 cents

- You should try to shoot the birds as soon as you feel you are “ on it “without rushing it, but never wait until it is descending, your chances of hitting it decrease tremendously
unless you are using some crazy xtra full turkey choke, and if you are, stop doing that.

- I have never been able to tell the difference in recoil between the over or under barrel, I would not overthink that one. If you go up to the line with too many things to think about you will drop more birds. Use the best choke for the yardage, doesn’t matter what barrel. If you get serious about singles you might want to think about getting a used BT -99 or other dedicated single shot trap gun. I’ve seen many newbies who’s scores went up instantly from not bringing an unneeded extra barrel to the trap line.

- shoot 16 yard line until you are comfortable with it and consistently breaking a large percentage of birds.
Then move back in increments, until you do the same at each location. With the understanding that it may takes years before you consistently break large percentages of birds at 25-27 yard line.
To this day, I know guys who can run 100 straight at the 16 and can’t break 20 from the 27. Remember trap is a marathon not a sprint. Could take years to be consistent for some.

For what it’s worth when I go up to the line I get all of the distractions out of my head. I forget all of the dozens and dozens of things that people have told me I should do over the last 23 years of shooting trap and I think two things. “See the bird, break the bird” . I tell myself this each and every time before I call pull. With a consistent mount and learning where your gun likes to be pointed in relation to where the bird is, you can be successful. Those will eventually come naturally from experience for most shooters, The rest is just Mumbo Jumbo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Your 7/8oz. reloads are just fine for 16 yard non competitive Trap.

I don't know what type O/U you have but the way you described it I

am led to believe it is a light field model. High volume shooting of 1 1/8 oz. through

a light weight fixed breach gun will beat you up and wear you down.

Me and many others shoot 7/8oz. reloads through heavier competition guns for

recreation shooting to reduce recoil with no real ill effects on scores at 16 yards.

If you are going to buy your shells stick to no more than 1 oz. loads in that gun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Well another bad day at the range, shot the full choke with the HDCP rounds and all I got was a sore cheek. I made a stock adjustment before going and needless to say that was a mistake and I put it back tonight. I am going to get a comb raiser kit of some kind hopefully to raise my point of aim. I want to get something to be able to remove for skeet and put on for trap. The shotgun weighs a little over 8 lbs, so it is not one of the newer light weight models. It is an old Russian MP-301 about 8 or 9 years old, all I am willing to try right now as I am financially embarrassed. If I get the gun to shoot and enjoy this I may invest in a trap model of some sort? I am going to have to pattern the gun to see where it shoots, as I have not done than yet. No more wasted rounds until I pattern the gun, but I know it is shooting low the way it is setup now. Being a field gun I guess that is normal? Mounting the gun as I think I should all I see is the back of the receiver and start of the rib. While I had the recoil pad off I noticed the hole for the stock bolt is drilled way to the left side of the stock not in the center? I have never seen that before is that poor boring or a sign of cast off? I have wore myself out trying to get the gun mount correct. So off to the pattern board I go. Thanks for the help guys just a frustrated newbie trying to learn to shoot a shotgun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Ron from NC.

Welcome to SGW!

Check out the links Ulysses have you.

Also, you mentioned you are currently “shooting an old cheap O/U”. (Russian we later learn).

Nothing wrong with that in general, but many guns like that are not properly regulated and don’t always shoot to Point of AIM.

Have you tried to pattern it?

Dedicated Trap guns are usually set up so that you “float the bird”, i.e., you always see the target over the barrel (or sight if you are using it). They are set up so that a larger percentage of the pellets are shooting above the normal center as all trap targets are rising through the range they should be shot at.

See where your gun is hitting a pattern board and maybe have someone else try it as well on the pattern board.

Keep at it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:10 pm 
Crown Grade

ncron wrote:
should I try to hit them as soon as I see them, or wait till they get out there and slow down?

Pull the trigger as soon as you are pointing the gun in the right place.
Don't rush it, don't delay it.
See the bird, get on the bird, break the bird.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

you forgot be the bird :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

ncron, don't overthink it. eventually you will realize that you can mount the gun to shoot flat or high, at your desire.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:47 pm 
Crown Grade

But the only way to shoot consistently good scores is to have a consistent mount.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yes ! Except when u have several shotguns to mess around with , each a bit different :)
However The bt99 I shoot likes to have not quite the snowman on beads to be under the bird
So that’s a mount consistency. Once that’s learned, one can get an idea how to work the poi so to speak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:37 am 
Field Grade

Welcome, and enjoy the sport.

I started just last year shooting trap with a ( field gun) SKB 600 O/U 28 inch barrels, full over modified. I started out with a lot of misses but just hung in there and ended the year in the upper teens and low twenties.

The things that really helped me was:

Reading a lot of info on how to properly shot Trap.

Proper starting position, stance, point of aim before calling for the bird, focus on distant area and letting my eyes come back to the bird.

Forget the gun sites, and follow the bird with your eyes and the gun will be there.

Good luck and hang in there. Its' great fun and lots of good times to be had.

I just purchased a true trap gun to try to reach the next level this year.