Shotgun Forum banner

colored filters that attach to existing glasses

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  ND Guy 
#1 ·
Not sure which section is best for this question but I will try here.

I wear prescription glasses when I shoot. I would like to try different colored lenses. I could get different glasses for each color but that would be very expensive.

I have clear that I use for night shooting (and driving at night) so it would be great if I could find a product that can over my clear glasses to change the color.

I see plenty of shooting glasses products with various colors but they are not Rx. I would need to get contacts which I would like to avoid.

#2 ·
I have the same problem. I tried clip-ons from Amazon but the nose pieces of the clip-ons were distracting. Never did find any quality clip-ons. I used yellow and purple prescription glasses from Zenni that worked pretty well then my prescription changed. I just order a 3 lens set from D-Tech and will post a review when I get them. I expect that are not as good as some but at $279 for the frames and three different tinted prescription lenses they are about as cheap as they come. And for the way I shoot, I expect they will work.

Jim

#4 ·
When I went back to glasses from contacts I ordered one set of Randolph Ranger in their darker of the two shades of purple which works well for the massive green background we have here. If it is TOO bright and sunny for those, I'll use me scrip driving glasses; if it is too dark, I use my regular scrip glasses. I got my lenses from LM

#6 ·
jrmev said:
Decot is a highly recommended company and I expect their products are great. But with prescriptions changing all the time I am hesitant to spend that much.

Jim
I emailed them and they already replied. I asked them if they had a clip on system. They don't and they said it was bad optically. That's no doubt true. I asked them what ColorMag was. Sounds like some form on thin film filter rather than colored glass. They said I could call to discuss further. I have some background in optics and filter at work.

My Rx doesn't change too quickly but I would want the bifocal. I'll just keep researching for a bit. I already have Clear and brown for my regular glasses from Costco. Maybe I will get one or two colors from them. Then add colors if I like them

#8 ·
jrmev said:
I would probably recommend you start with a yellow for low light conditions.

Jim
well most of my shooting is Saturday morning with the typical California cloudless blue sky. I don't think low light filter would be my first choice. Thinking target orange but on the low density side. I want as much light as possible to keep my depth of field up. I do some night shooting under lights so maybe the light yellow would be good for that. I use my clear "night" driving glasses at night as on now. I already tend to shoot better at night so my focus is choosing something that will help with daytime's unabated bright sun behind me.

#9 ·
SSP offers the Methow kit with Rx insert for around $150. If you don't have a high index script it should work for you. The kit includes the frame, 5 interchangeable lenses in various tints, and the insert.
https://www.sportrx.com

They certainly aren't up the quality standards of the big name companies, but for 1/3 the cost or less, it is a consideration. I found that they are pretty indestructible, and the tints should satisfy the needs of most users.

I struggle with the same issue as you, but the Methow won't work with my prescription.

#10 ·
rhodesengr said:
jrmev said:
Decot is a highly recommended company and I expect their products are great. But with prescriptions changing all the time I am hesitant to spend that much.

Jim
I emailed them and they already replied. I asked them if they had a clip on system. They don't and they said it was bad optically. That's no doubt true. I asked them what ColorMag was. Sounds like some form on thin film filter rather than colored glass. They said I could call to discuss further. I have some background in optics and filter at work.

My Rx doesn't change too quickly but I would want the bifocal. I'll just keep researching for a bit. I already have Clear and brown for my regular glasses from Costco. Maybe I will get one or two colors from them. Then add colors if I like them
None of the lenses are colored glass; they are all dipped. I watch LM when they were down on Florida do the tinting on mine. The Color Mag works great for bright sunny days as it makes the orange POP.

#11 ·
marshfield said:
SSP offers the Methow kit with Rx insert for around $150. If you don't have a high index script it should work for you. The kit includes the frame, 5 interchangeable lenses in various tints, and the insert.
I found SSP Methow with Google. You linked sportrx. I don't see Methow on there. I have bought glasses from Sportrx before so they already have my Rx but not following the connection to Methow??????

#13 ·
rhodesengr said:
marshfield said:
I found SSP Methow with Google. You linked sportrx. I don't see Methow on there. I have bought glasses from Sportrx before so they already have my Rx but not following the connection to Methow??????
Try this:

https://sspeyewear.com/

#14 ·
Been using Cocoons for several years. Like their copper colored ones for most conditions because they make orange really shine and their boysenberry color for really bright days. At about $50.00 a copy they are a bargain. Sizes are available for all sizes of eye wear.

#15 ·
ND Guy said:
Been using Cocoons for several years. Like their copper colored ones for most conditions because they make orange really shine and their boysenberry color for really bright days. At about $50.00 a copy they are a bargain. Sizes are available for all sizes of eye wear.
Thanks. A guy at my club mentioned them. I would like to find a place that has the actual product in stock so I can see how they fit over my glasses. I tried a type of goggles over glasses for another activity (slope soaring, very windy) and it didn't work out to well. I ended up getting Rx googles from SportRx. They worked great but were just yellow sunglass filters. They don't have the filter range of colors I'd like to choose from.

#17 ·
^^^ This; Morgan is a shooter, and can well advise you.

Strongly suggest, if you are a serious shooter, NOT to get bi-focal, tri's or progressive lenses in you shooting glasses.

Again, talk with Morgan Optical; much knowledge to be gained via conversation, and nothing to be lost.

#18 ·
SCshooterAA said:
Strongly suggest, if you are a serious shooter, NOT to get bi-focal, tri's or progressive lenses in you shooting glasses.
Can you elaborate and why to avoid bifocals? I have been using my RX sunglasses which happen to to a brown filter and are bifocal. The lower part is set for 24" so the dashboard of my car is in focus. The bifocal part doesn't seem to bother me when shooting trap and the lower part is strong enough to do some reading (labels on ammo boxes, etc) or looking at my phone (setting my ear plug setting). So it saves taking the glasses on and off a lot. But I am interested to hear why others feel it's better to not get bifocal.

#19 ·
Please call Morgan Optical. Serious shooting glasses are a very specific tool, designed for your individual needs, and are NOT intended to be all-around, general purpose, eyesight corrections. If shooting for fun, there is a place for "good enough". What do you want out of shooting sports? Some improvement, strive for the best you can be, or just having fun hacking around with your buddies? There is nothing wrong with any of those situations.

#20 ·
SCshooterAA said:
Please call Morgan Optical. Serious shooting glasses are a very specific tool, designed for your individual needs,
I am coming at this from the perspective of least being a "wanna be" serious shooter. What I was trying to say was that I have some experience with the optical requirements for shooting and there is a need to see up close as well as distance.

So I was asking for the specific logic behind not wanting bifocals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.