ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Which choke for singles trap @ 16 yard line ?
Improved Cylinder 4%  4%  [ 10 ]
Modified 30%  30%  [ 70 ]
Improved Modified 41%  41%  [ 96 ]
Full 24%  24%  [ 56 ]
X-Full 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 235
 Post subject: Which choke for singles trap @ the 16 yard line ?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

What is the best choke for singles trap at the 16 yard line for regular amateur shooters, i.e., those that hit routinely in the 15 to 22 range and have never broken 25 straight ?

Post subject: Re: Which choke for singles trap @ the 16 yard line ?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like Imp Mod (.025" constriction) or Full (.035" constriction) from the 16 yard line.

Recently I got a Perazzi and it came with a .032" constriction choke and I like that one better. They are not readily available though.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I like the Improved Modified as well.................good choke till you get past the 22yd. mark.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

IM from everywhere on the trap range.

Doug

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

All I've ever shot is full from an 870 Wingmaster so I really can't say whats the best but this seems to work for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:34 am 
Field Grade

I use my IM for most of my shooting. I swap over to full at 25 but have forgoten to in the past and still got good solid hits with IM at 27

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:10 am 
Presentation Grade

Lets compare apples to apples, M and IM and F really don't mean much. Rastoff stated his IM is .025 constriction and his full is .035 constriction. Get this guys, my Benelli SS M is .028 constriction and my IM is .036 constriction (full is .045) so when someone says M or IM depending on what type of shotgun he has there is a huge swing in differences. I have heard a remington full is .030 constriction which is close to my M. DD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hey Double D that is some quality advice there. No wonder you have such tight patterns at 40 yards! I didn't think about that at all in our discussion about patterns. Good catch Dog!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Interesting....66% use IM or full chokes for singles. 25 to 36 thousands constriction will make smoke balls from the 16 yard line. Hopefully this is a leason for those subscribing to more open chokes...chips are better than a loss theory. Knowing where your placing shot as important as even patterns, more important than large open patterns only capable of chipping or chunking. The never ending debate. :wink:

Maltzie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:06 pm 
Crown Grade

It's interesting (but not surprising) that 74% use IM or Mod for singles. Either of these can smokeball a target from the 16. There may be a lesson for those who feel that the goal in trap is the most smoke (and not the most X's??).
Some seem to feel that a loss really is better than a chip as long as you smokeball all the targets you do hit. Yes, knowing how to place your shot is THE most important thing, without a doubt, more important than overly tight patterns only capable of either dustballing or missing. The debate should have ended long ago. :wink:

Just thought I'd throw out the perspective from the majority here....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

I smell smoke, I think a fire is coming :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

There is another thread about the ideal load for trap, and most are choosing a 1oz load. All I can say is I enjoy shooting against the light load / open choke gang. I will always shoot full choke with 1-1/8oz.
Dale

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No fire, Dog.

Everytime I see opinion from someone not using their real name and location, I know the same poster is a short on confidence, C class - 20 yard expert. :lol:

This debate has been discussed and cussed for years. Some will choose to follow high average shooters, others will try to catch up with gimmicks and big patterns. The true compromise is the IM choke. I'm with Dale and enjoy the added income from 20 yard experts. At the same time offer help to get their game moving forward. :wink:

Maltzie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am not going to argue with people that have forgotten more than I know right now. :wink: And there is merit and proof in the tight choke approach, not going to reinvent the wheel.
DD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

daleofmesa wrote:
All I can say is I enjoy shooting against the light load / open choke gang.

This may be the most fascinating post that I've ever read in the Trap Shooters forum. Honestly, competing against others never really enters my mind (unless my dad or my brother happen to be on the trap line. Then it's game on.) Generally, I don't even hear what others score. I'm only concerned with competing against myself, and increasing my own averages. I think golf is that way too, but I've never played, so I'll never know.

But then again, I'm not an ATA member, nor do I have money on the line. If either was the case, I imagine that I'd become much more concerned with how others are doing at any given time.

As for me, I choose a choke depending on load and how I'm feeling that day. (My scores would indicate that you'd do best not to emulate me.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Maltzie,
I am starting to take offense to your comments! I am not a class C shooter, I am a Class B, and I am not a 20 yard expert, I am a 21 handicap. :lol: Don't you think Dead Dog is my real name? I dang well live in Conrad, Mondamtana.
What have you been drinking today you silly Bohunk :lol: :lol:
DD
Isn't life interesting??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Both mudpack's and Maltzie's post are nothing more than humorous attempts at manipulating the data to try to prove their respective cases.
Fact is, the poll simply shows that the good folks on this forum prefer Improved Modified from the 16, followed by Modified. Full comes in a distant third.
The only thing this truly proves is what the personal preferences of Shotgunworld members are. Shoot what you have confidence in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just bought a Light Full choke, .030" constriction. Tighter than IM, but more open than Full. We'll see how it does for me at the range. Probably just a psychosomatic difference. But, if it helps that doesn't matter then does it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

Code5coupe
I agree with your statement that most of the members of this forum are shooting open chokes, but I also believe that most of the members of this forum are recreational shooters rather than competitive shooters. Please do not consider this as an insult or negative. It is just what the typical member of this forum prefers to shoot. I think that if the survey were taken with A class and above competitive shooters the results would be much different.
Dale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:09 am 
Tournament Grade

Could it also be possible to suggest a choke that is tailored to the type of shooter a person wants to be?
The reason I ask is because, after reading the original question in the OP, I think that there could be two equally valid suggestions. What if we took the shooters described in the OP and split them into two groups - amateur & recreational. I would classify an amatuer shooter as somone who would like to improve their scores and at some point enter into some competitions, not necessarily to make a living, but, because they like to compete. Whereas a recreational shooter is someone who just likes to get out and hit some targets as a way of relaxing.
The way I understand the ideas put forth in the discussions on this forum and other sites, is that a full choke demands that the shooter have a better application of the fundamentals as it requires a greater degree of accuracy. Alternatively, a more open choke (modified) can be more forgiving. So suggesting a modified choke to the recreational shooter would result in some success without the frustration of missing constantly with a full choke.
Using myself as an example, I am the type of person that prefers a challenge and a little competition, therefore my choice would be to become as proficient as possible with a full choke. I am happy to say that currently my choices for trap shooting consist of either a Rem 1100 or a Beretta Mark II - both of which are fixed full barrels.
Several months ago I was toying with the idea of getting a Remchoke barrel for the 1100 just to have the option of changing chokes. Now, I don't even think about it anymore because on several occasions I was either late in catching the bird out of the house or I lost the bird during my swing but was able to find it again and break it near the end of its flight. What I learned is that a full choke gives me a little extra time to recover from a mistake and still hit the target. Plus, at the distance I hit thae target, I also have gained enough confidence to try some handicap yardage just to know that I can do it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next