ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Which choke for singles trap @ 16 yard line ?
Improved Cylinder 4%  4%  [ 10 ]
Modified 30%  30%  [ 70 ]
Improved Modified 41%  41%  [ 95 ]
Full 24%  24%  [ 55 ]
X-Full 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 233
 Post subject: Re: Which choke for singles trap @ the 16 yard line ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rastoff...I leave for the IA state shot early in the morning. Have 2 squads of shooters there, we all shoot together when possible. A wide range of talent and equipment. No one below D class/ladies, several B to A class short to mid yardage, 2 - AA class long yardage, and 2 - AAA class 27 yarders. For all the years we have shot together, I really don't know what they choose in choke tubes for singles. With exception to the other AAA and 2 of the AA boys, one of which shoots an orginal model12 extra full fixed. Let me visit with them and promote the idea, maybe we have the statistics already.

The 2 AAA shooters both shoot Imod for singles and full from the back fence. One AA guy shoots full on everything (mod 12) another shoots a K-80 with Wright tubes. Need to get the numbers off of the tubes. I know he opens up for singles, but not sure how open. One A class regular squadmate shoots a CG Magnus O/U and opens up for singles, not sure how open. Another regular (highway dickhead) shoots a DeHann O/U and varies from B to A class 21 yards, need to check his chokes. His wife, still a biginner, D to C class, shoots a 1100 with a more open choke. She is the center of attraction and get free coaching with a smile. :)

Maltzie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maltzie,
That sounds to me like the right crew. If these guys/gals are regularly available that would be a great group to do the test with. I'm curious to see if they are interested.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
Rastoff...I leave for the IA state shot early in the morning. Have 2 squads of shooters there, we all shoot together when possible. A wide range of talent and equipment. No one below D class/ladies, several B to A class short to mid yardage, 2 - AA class long yardage, and 2 - AAA class 27 yarders. For all the years we have shot together, I really don't know what they choose in choke tubes for singles. With exception to the other AAA and 2 of the AA boys, one of which shoots an orginal model12 extra full fixed. Let me visit with them and promote the idea, maybe we have the statistics already.

The 2 AAA shooters both shoot Imod for singles and full from the back fence. One AA guy shoots full on everything (mod 12) another shoots a K-80 with Wright tubes. Need to get the numbers off of the tubes. I know he opens up for singles, but not sure how open. One A class regular squadmate shoots a CG Magnus O/U and opens up for singles, not sure how open. Another regular (highway dickhead) shoots a DeHann O/U and varies from B to A class 21 yards, need to check his chokes. His wife, still a biginner, D to C class, shoots a 1100 with a more open choke. She is the center of attraction and get free coaching with a smile.

Fellas,

Is this really what the OP had in mind, or was he thinking shooters who are newer, and more amateurish? Or, are you simply taking this into a new direction? What you are proposing is shooters accustomed to competition, and who mostly "know the ropes."

Thank you,
Longshooter

Hammer1 wrote:
Question concerning the best shooters for this kind of test.

We would learn nothing from shooters who always break 100 straight. There would be essentially no variation in the observed scores and without variation in the results nothing would be learned.

Shooters who haven't learned to even hit the target yet would be likewise of not much use. Zero is zero.

Think we would need shooters who can hit the target but are still early in their trap experience -- folks in the 15 to 21 or 22 average out of 25.
Thoughts ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

longshooter,
I think the OP was looking for advice on which choke will help him most as a new shooter.

It's true that this thread has evolved a little, but we're still on track. There are 6 classes in ATA rankings; AAA, AA, A, B, C, D. This is the best way to know what skill level each shooter has. Running this test with only new shooters will not be useful data. A brand new shooter will miss or hit some of the targets simply due to unfamiliarity of the game. Since what we're looking for is to see if we can determine a difference in choke effectiveness, we need to eliminate as many factors as we can that are not strictly related to the choke.

Granted, you cannot eliminate all variables. Granted the end result will not be 100% conclusive. However, we can determine with a 95% confidence level weather or not the data we get is valid. We want a AAA shooter if we can get one because that guy will rarely miss regardless of the choke. We also want the D class shooter to test the opposite end of the scale. The D class shooter will give a certain control in that we may see the greatest increase or decline with that shooter. I expect to see the greatest change with the A class shooter though.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:56 am 
Diamond Grade

BTT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:10 am 
Tournament Grade

Improved modified would be my choice....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:18 pm 
Utility Grade

My vote is based on my very first experience trap shooting at 16 years old, 1971-72. Shooting with, and intimidated by, shooters 2 and 3 times my age wielding real trap guns I used a plain barreled 28" 870. Nerves and all I regularly broke 18-22 and don't remember ever being worst of any group-with a fixed modified choke, all I had. Amazed at some dusting targets on the fall, I presume full or x full was what I shot against. My breaks at 20-30 yards scored just the same. If I could still shoot that quickly I believe I could shoot as well with lm or even ic.

Post subject: Re: Which choke for singles trap @ the 16 yard line
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:09 am 
Tournament Grade

I see that this subject is 10 years old, so I am very late to the party

Post subject: Re: Which choke for singles trap @ the 16 yard line?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:22 am 
Tournament Grade

I see that this subject is 10 years old, so I am very late to the party. But then I wasn’t shooting trap 10 years ago either! :wink: One thing I haven’t seen in the course of this discussion is the matter of how one’s choice of choke might be predicated on one’s choice of ammo load. Seems to me that the lighter the load, the tighter the choke choice in order to keep the shot string together for greater distance. Also, it seems to me that a person’s choke and shot load choices might be predicated on how quickly they acquire the target and shoot. Am I off-base? :roll:

Post subject: Re: Which choke for singles trap @ the 16 yard line?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:07 pm 
Crown Grade

ClaysOnlyShooter wrote:
I see that this subject is 10 years old, so I am very late to the party. But then I wasn’t shooting trap 10 years ago either! :wink: One thing I haven’t seen in the course of this discussion is the matter of how one’s choice of choke might be predicated on one’s choice of ammo load. Seems to me that the lighter the load, the tighter the choke choice in order to keep the shot string together for greater distance. Also, it seems to me that a person’s choke and shot load choices might be predicated on how quickly they acquire the target and shoot. Am I off-base? :roll:

No. You are not.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Back to age old debate......

Only one answer. If you are a shooter that wants to improve and serious about it, do what those that have accomplished "good shooter" did to get there. In all cases of good shooter stats, they learned how to place patterns center target more often than not. With a POi that is set to center moving targets, the vertical is set by comb and or adjustable rib. the horizontal is at the mercy of the shooters handling and trigger timing.

There is a proven way to learn how to center targets and that is with a tight choke, judging the shot placement by how the target breaks. Dense pattern center core delivered to the the target on time will crush the target. The shooter and their subconscious learns the timing and barrel relationship to the target through practice and all trapshooting is practice. The more you shoot while paying attention to how your targets break the better shooter you become. Gaining complete confidence in the equipment used and in your handling. The more focused the effort the higher the averages. It is work and takes effort.

Some to most shooters shoot trap just to have fun and less wiling to make this commitment. Other seem to have a natural skill making it easier, but trapshooting at the highest level is always a one target game. We win by one target in the initial score or shoot-off.

You must decide what level of interest in the game you have. There is no short-cut.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:15 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Extra Full = "pull-bang"--no visible pieces just a cloud of smoke! does that mean LOST ?????

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

driller wrote:
Extra Full = "pull-bang"--no visible pieces just a cloud of smoke! does that mean LOST ?????

If you can dirt ball targets like that it means you have found the sight pic, timing, point and follow that will score dead target every time if you can repeat the sequence. With a more open choke if you please. Just not so open that minor errors or pattern edges are too open to insure a dead target. It ain't rocket science,

If you learn how to place shot on target every time and know why.....you will be a good shooter.

Maltz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:01 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Correct answer---"choke for smoke ".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Improved Modified. The only change I might make is to change out my first barrel in doubles to Modified.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hi All, shoot a K-80 TS. I’m not that great, but have My days. This model gun was a radical departure from My old Beretta 687 SP2 combo. Had a lot of experienced Krieghoff shooters tell Me to switch to a light improved modified choke, (25 thousandths constriction). I tried it multiple times, could not see any marked improvement in scores, so switched back to full choke,( 35 thousanths). Quality of hits are better, and I am much more confident in My shooting, not to mention that I don’t need to be switching chokes from singles to handicap. Just My 2 cents. Do what works for You.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot a Light Mod at the 16 and also for first barrel of Bunker.

Had a World Champion Pigeon Shooter ask me one time while we were in between rounds on the Bunker “Would you rather chip 25 or smoke 22?” That question has stuck with me ever since when I think about what chokes you run.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Confidence kills more targets than 3 dram 7 & 1/2's. Without it the shooter scores range from poor to good days......average. They experience the most stress in the game.....being lost type of slump.

I always assume the shooter using open chokes lack confidence in ability, trying to compensate for the short fall in skill and knowledge.

For the readers......a little self analysis is in order.

Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:15 pm 
Utility Grade

bigrobbierob wrote:
I shoot a Light Mod at the 16 and also for first barrel of Bunker.

Had a World Champion Pigeon Shooter ask me one time while we were in between rounds on the Bunker “Would you rather chip 25 or smoke 22?” That question has stuck with me ever since when I think about what chokes you run.

Must be the only "World Champion" on the planet who thinks anyone is going to break 25 if they're only chipping targets.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:47 am 
Tournament Grade

He used chipping as a general term to convey breaking. No extra points in ink balling vs. chipping/breaking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next