ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anyone use 30" barrels on their O/U for trap?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:58 am 
Utility Grade

For doubles I liked 32" tubes on the Kreighoff I had, 30" barrels were too whippy. When I went to Perazzi's I've owned several guns from 32-29-1/4" barrels, and I prefer 30" tubes...but as most have mentioned it's all about balance and gun fit. I'm a quick shot and the 30" P-guns balance nicely for me at doubles and continental. I haven't shot bunker in so long, I'll just leave it that way! lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

I shoot a 34" Krieghoff KX5 on singles and sometimes a 30" M12 pump. I'll be shooting doubles for the first time in a match next week (weather permitting) and I'll be using my Browning Ultra SC gun with 30" barrels with extended LM and F chokes. I shot it today with a washer under the adj comb on singles and it did just fine. I shoot this gun quite a bit at skeet and it feels great to me. Once it's mounted, I can't tell it's not a 32" barrel; my focus in on the target.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:08 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a Pro Sporter K-80 with 30" barrels. I shoot everything with it.

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
asking if anyone uses 30" bbls on a trap gun is like asking... does anyone use toothpaste on their toothbrush. :>

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

yes my redhead target has 30" and one of the better shooters on the team who averages around 24 shoots with a 30" browning golden clays

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shot today with a 34" unsingle for the first time, the gun was to me very heavy, also it had a high rib which was weird but seemed to work well.

I recently read this: https://nssa-nsca.org/blog/2017/08/21/a ... h%20barrel.

granted it sounds like its more geared towards skeet shooters but interesting how barrel length and height come into play.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:18 am 
Field Grade

My usual Trap gun is a Beretta 686 Onyx Field gun with 28" barrels. Do have a 3" IM choke for it I found on eBay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:06 pm 
Crown Grade

The first two O/U's I shot trap with had 30" barrels. I did well with them.
The 682 combo I now use also has 30" O/U barrels, but I don't shoot trap with them.

Barrel length is determined primarily by fashion, and it changes over the decades. Shoot what you shoot well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:35 pm 
Field Grade

My first trap gun was a Miroku Charles Daly Superior Grade trap with 30" barrels. Only choice that the dealer had in stock and all I've seen had 30 inches as well. I still have and occasionally shoot that Daly.

Over the years I've owned numbers of shotgun including several BT-99s. Still have one and all had 34" barrels. I seem to shoot the Daly and BTs equally well, or poorly as compared to a really good shooter.

I tried them, but never again would I go below 30" on my O/U shotguns. Personal preference only.

Shoot what you like, not what others like.