ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help on straight aways.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

So I missed three straight aways tonight, ended up with a 47 at 16 yards.

Three different stations.

Anyone want to run down the common reasons and cures ?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Help on straight aways.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Slow down, shoot'em on purpose. Just because they are straight away doesn't make them so easy that you can jump on them. You may "short shoot" or blow past out of control. Fight that subconscious reaction to jump on easy looking targets. Shoot a straight away with the same gun timing as a single angle target. Your POI is set for that timing. Your natural follow is set for well placed shots.

At least that is what I tell those that are troubled by straight away's, as wall as try to live by. It is all too easy to dump straight away's, The most missed target in trap shooting game.

Maltz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:09 am 
Crown Grade

Many folks also have a tendency to peek a little and by lifting their head to see the break, shoot over the target.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:31 am 
Diamond Grade

My gun shoots pretty flat. A friend said I moved the gun to the right just before shooting on my first miss.

I think I caught myself doing it on the third, I think maybe I move it to see the bird, which isn’t a problem on any angles. I just come up underneath it.

Who knows, we have a practice range. Maybe I can lock it and shoot a few in a row.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a pet theory on this problem (which we've all had). Maybe someone out there who instructs can comment....this is against common wisdom...

I think most misses on straightaways are NOT because of lifting the head, but instead because of lifting the ARMS. We see the target; it looks easy; we don't move to the target; we lift our arms....and we miss over the top! It's easy to move to the target on an angle. It's harder for a straightaway. That might be where the "Harlan" method with the "press" saves the most targets? Slight press toward the target with the body.

Trail

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

My misses on straightaways are:
1. Lifting head off stock
2. Sloppy aim - need to focus harder
Perhaps aim is not the right word, but the gun is not "on" the bird

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

I recently did the same thing. I shot my first 25 then missed two straight-aways on station 4 on my second round for a 48. I'm kinda new to trap and I saw those straight-aways as being at a slight angle and led them a bit to the right. When I miss straight-aways, that I recognize as such, it's usually due to a mental let-up. I see an "easy" target, relax, lose focus, and shoot too soon; usually shooting under it.

If your gun is shooting flat and you are moving the gun aside to see the target, you might want to consider adding a 3/16" or 1/4" cheek pad to raise your comb and thereby making your gun shoot a little high. I (like many other trap shooters) want my trap gun to break the target when I float the target on the top of the bead/barrel. This way I'm always seeing the target and the break, I don't have to lift my head to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:12 pm 
Crown Grade

When I miss a straight away, I do as Maltz suggested, and blow right through out of control.

I don't know that it's a hard target, but it sure is easy to miss them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

twohigh wrote:
I recently did the same thing. I shot my first 25 then missed two straight-aways on station 4 on my second round for a 48. I'm kinda new to trap and I saw those straight-aways as being at a slight angle and led them a bit to the right. When I miss straight-aways, that I recognize as such, it's usually due to a mental let-up. I see an "easy" target, relax, lose focus, and shoot too soon; usually shooting under it.

If your gun is shooting flat and you are moving the gun aside to see the target, you might want to consider adding a 3/16" or 1/4" cheek pad to raise your comb and thereby making your gun shoot a little high. I (like many other trap shooters) want my trap gun to break the target when I float the target on the top of the bead/barrel. This way I'm always seeing the target and the break, I don't have to lift my head to do that.

Yeah, I've got a cheek-EZZ pad coming, that might help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

Oh yeah, that's you who started that other thread. It will help.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have watched hundreds if not thousands of young shooters to old timers trying to advise on shooting problems. Age makes little difference. The most common reason we miss straight away targets is we short shot them, shooting under the target. Next would be blow past the break point. Both out of discipline and physical control of the point.

High school and college shooters more often than not shoot dads old field shotgun. With a POI too low for the trap game, too low to center a rising target still climbing. Then to develop a subconscious trigger pull covering the target. Not able to see it break and requires proper timing to place shot on target only while at peak. Some reasons we develop this jump.

Shooters still short shoot with trap guns set perfectly for fit and POI. They still jump past the POA. Usually because they were not ready to see and break the target when called out. They call while day dreaming(thinking), the target and angle surprises the shooter into jumping out of control trying to correct a poor start move.

This is about discipline, the poor gun choice and POI setting is about a lack of knowledge or available funds....... maybe both.

Maltz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:25 am 
Crown Grade

"They call while day dreaming(thinking), the target and angle surprises the shooter into jumping out of control trying to correct a poor start move."

Yep, sometimes I hear someone call "Pull" and it turns out it was me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

""They call while day dreaming(thinking), the target and angle surprises the shooter into jumping out of control trying to correct a poor start move."

Yep, sometimes I hear someone call "Pull" and it turns out it was me."

LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If the shooter would have the discipline to take a millisecond and simply be ready for the target before calling. There would be fewer lost targets on the score sheet. By being read I say......Stop all eye and gun movement while pointing to your favorite start location, switch from thinking to vision, actually be ready to see the target before calling it out.

See it and let nature take its hand to eye reaction.

It ain't hard , its discipline.........Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:32 am 
Diamond Grade

maltzahn wrote:

It ain't hard , its discipline.........Maltz

But, but, but what if discipline is hard ?

I put the cheek-EZZ pad on, we’ll see if that raises the POI enough to keep me from peeking.

And yes, most defiantly I need to slow down, at 65 my reflexes have no doubt diminished. I do have a tendency to start fast and then pull up.

Thanks everyone, I shoot tonight but I think it’s handicap so not maybe a good comparison.

Yes, I will be shooting at a yardage other than 16 if anyone had that comment in them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

"If the shooter would have the discipline to take a millisecond and simply be ready for the target before calling. There would be fewer lost targets on the score sheet. By being read I say......Stop all eye and gun movement while pointing to your favorite start location, switch from thinking to vision, actually be ready to see the target before calling it out."

Maltzie, thanks so much for your comments on this site. You made some comments several days ago that really helped me. As a result of your comments, when I mount my gun now I tell myself "wait". This way I develop a quiet eye and wait to see where the clay is going. It has really helped my scores.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

I put the cheek-EZZ pad on and shot 22,22 and 23 from 21 yards. Didn’t miss any straight aways, tried to focus more. Two flinches, don’t know where they came from.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Good to hear it's working for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Makes my day to be able to help a shooter improve their game, especially learning for a lifetime how to shoot well. Trap shooting has been much of my life. I enjoy seeing the game popular with more participation. Shooting well keeps people interested.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

maltzahn wrote:
Makes my day to be able to help a shooter improve their game, especially learning for a lifetime how to shoot well. Trap shooting has been much of my life. I enjoy seeing the game popular with more participation. Shooting well keeps people interested.

Maltz

Yes, I can say that there have been multiple times I have benefited from good advice from many experienced shooters on this forum.

It is much appreciated.

The average age at our open shoot/practice night is going down. Many teens there, guys and gals. They don’t seem to join the league however. They have their own high school and college schedule of tournaments so maybe that is all the shooting they want.