ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help on straight aways.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've coached/clinic a college team and we have several schools that use our range at the high school level. In both cases the cost of shooting is reduced by support from grants to club support. There was no cost to our team shooters. Free ammo, targets and travel. A few financially successful families participate in ATA and local organized shooting like derbies and leagues. These are a minority of young shooters that can move on with trapshooting. Most are at the mercy of cost. At least these youth shooter have had the opportunity to compete.

Many of those young shooters score very well and can make the vets and sr vets humble. So it is about being able to afford the volume of shooting required to truly become great. The old guy's have the money, but diminish in talent by age. Have had several Senor Vet shooters, once great at the game say..... scores past 70 years old seem to have lost targets for no apparent reason. Its not that I can't shoot 100 straights in singles, still do, but there are fewer and most lost targets are in the last box.

Maltz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:40 am 
Presentation Grade

I shoot a Browning BT-99. Should I be under the target or have it covered? The straight away target is the only one I seem lost on at times. I'd rather have the dreaded right hand target than a straight away.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:59 pm 
Crown Grade

1. You should set your POI vs POA to always have the target above your gun. It's hard to hit what you can't see.

2. Hard angles require a horizontal move which encourages keeping your cheek on the stock. Straights require a vertical move that encourages rocking you head back and therein misaligning your eye to the bead which destroys the vertical angle of your line of sight to the center bore line of the barrel.

3. To help keep your cheek on the stock, open your mouth when you mount the gun and keep it open through your call. Be aware of how the recoil feels on your cheek when you break a target. When you miss, immediately recall the recoil feel through your cheek. Was it different? If so, you broke down your gun mount in the vertical plane.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

how you point the gun on a straightaway depends on where the gun is shooting.
if it shoots 50-50 or lower floating the bird guarantees you a miss.
likewise if the gun shoots 100% high and you cover it you miss.

I always advocate some time on the pattern board, or at the minimum shoot a can on the side of a berm.
it helps you put a sight picture together in your head.

then like Tyner says above.
keep your head on the stock.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:50 pm 
Field Grade

sounds like you may have your gun hold a bit too high try to have a lower hold then DONT move until you see the clay and then come up from under it

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

I remember an article in Shotgun Sports by an eye Dr. That said that if you miss in comers (skeet) or straight aways you have an eye problem.

His advice on straight aways was to shoot a little to the right.i have this problem and that works.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:50 am 
Crown Grade

lcbo wrote:
I remember an article in Shotgun Sports by an eye Dr. That said that if you miss in comers (skeet) or straight aways you have an eye problem.

His advice on straight aways was to shoot a little to the right.i have this problem and that works.

Are you right handed ? Maybe a eye dominance thing ?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:57 pm 
Crown Grade

lcbo wrote:

That article may have an excerpt from "An Insight To Sports Featuring Trapshooting and Golf" by Dr. Wayne E. Martin, O.D.. Shotgun Sports sold paperback copies of the book in the late 1980's.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:57 pm 
Crown Grade

double post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey all! New poster, long time reader of this site.

I have been getting my cheek beat to hell lately...heck, always. My first gun was a Charles Daly field o/u. Not ideal...not even after letting a "roaming stock fitter" work on it at a local PITA match. Moved to a early 70s BT. Got my first 25. Then I bought a skb 855tss. Scores went to hell..then I had to quit. Fast forward 15 years....I have a Browning XT....

I have Oswald's book on stock fitting....I am hitting 25s more frequently....but am still getting some cheek slap.

I'm thinking that i am lifting my head on straight aways....i used to think I was lifting on right crosses. Now I am curious...?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Press forward/weight forward to help with head lift. Just like throwing a football or pitching a baseball.....pressing forward is about control. Leaning back encourages head lift, changing the back sight(dominate eye) height and out of control moves.

The trap game is much easier with good technique with control pointing the firearm. Practice with purpose, practice technique to create good habits. Pressing forward requires enough focused practice to feel natural, then again enough to be a good habit. Next time y'alls shoot for fun, pick a technique and give it your attention while having fun. Shooting better scores make it more fun. Slumps and problems make the game miserable and remains the main reason for shooters to leave the sport.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:59 am 
Tournament Grade

I find I have a hard time with them as well, not sure if its a head game where I think they will be a piece of cake and get overconfident or if they dip or rise because of the breeze and I am over or under them. I have tried slowing it down and letting them go out a bit more but not sure if that has helped or not.