ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: tracking the bird ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:17 am 
Crown Grade

I re read my first post and realize what I was trying to say was by tracking I meant following the line of the bird for a short time, like holding on the trap house, the bird beats the gun, and you follow it's line it's on till you reach it and fire. The other method, and I've seen many people do it, is to hold quite a bit higher, almost level, and with a short almost horizonal movement break the bird. I find it more repeatable to do the first one than to try and time a bird going up and gun sideways.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:10 am 
Crown Grade

bladesmith wrote:
I re read my first post and realize what I was trying to say was by tracking I meant following the line of the bird for a short time, like holding on the trap house, the bird beats the gun, and you follow it's line it's on till you reach it and fire. The other method, and I've seen many people do it, is to hold quite a bit higher, almost level, and with a short almost horizonal movement break the bird. I find it more repeatable to do the first one than to try and time a bird going up and gun sideways.

I do it the second way you mention. I hold high to minimize movement to the bird.

I found Chris Batha's 'Getting to the Top in Trap' videos on Youtube to be helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you spend 600.00 on a Harlan Chambell clinic the first part is classroom. In that class much of the time will be spent on giving justice to holding high and having a high POI (110% to 150% high). Very convincing when you realize your taking a trapshooting class from the Captain of the All American team for over 10 years. All will say from one of the best shooters of all time.

On the other hand many other of the pro trap clinicians will have you work with the your developed approach and technique. They let you choose and work on resolving error - bad habits - poor choices. Some of those also considered best all time trap shooter. Phil Kiner that posts here and sells his clinic video on this website comes to mind.

So....there is no best approach, just choices and whatever the shooter chooses must be practiced. For long time shooters like me, having tried all the variable techniques and can make most of them work well. Now I have preferences that seems to or in fact raise my averages over other choices. Making all the question personal. You must study and try what works for others. Then choose your path and find what enhances your scores and averages. What you have confidence in because confidence kills more targets than 3 dram 7 1/2s.

Maltz

Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Great post Maltzie.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

fiver wrote:
I don't even know where I'm pointing the gun half the time.
my eyes are focused out just past the trap house.
maybe some to the left on station 1 and some to the right on 5 but pretty much the front of the house ignoring the gun.
it comes kind of in lower focus as I swing on the target.

I know that feeling, and it is hard to explain to some new shooters.