Shotgun Forum banner

What's the record in missing the most targets in a row

11K views 38 replies 32 participants last post by  Powderhorn Jim 
#1 ·
I think I missed 11 in a row today. Then again, I don't shoot much trap!

#3 ·
Misses??

#4 ·
I shot skeet one time with a fellow who missed 24 straight

#15 ·
Had a friend who missed 32 straight in 5-stand, 25 then 7 on the next 25. And he wasn't that bad of a shot, just a bad day. So at our monthly membership meeting [ we have rifle, pistol, muzzle loading, cowboys, archery, and shotgun at our club] the venue chairs each give a report. When shotgun comes up, I present Bill with a homemade trophy for shooting a 32 straight. No one knew it was for misses. He's laughing the whole while, everyone else is clapping.

#16 ·
I teach a beginners trap class. The class is for new shooters, not trap shooters looking to improve their scores (take a lesson!). We've had folks in the class who have never fired a shotgun. We set the house to throw straight out until folks start to get a hang for it. Some folks are naturals and some folks, well lets say that it's a success if they break a bird or two. I've seen some beginners break no more than 3 or 4 birds in a round. I have never had anyone miss all 25. So most in a row, lets say 10 or 15. Everyone eventually connects if they start with a good gun mount, stance, proper hold over and keep their head on the stock.
The biggest problem most struggling beginners have is gun fit.
We try to teach shooters to relax and enjoy themselves. If the gun goes bang when you pull the trigger, enjoy that..smell the gunsmoke and enjoy the experience. If you start with that, eventually things will fall in place.

#17 ·
15 or 18. cant remember. ended up with a 4. that was a year ago. went and got glasses. ta dahhh!

#18 ·
emgerrish said:
Some folks are naturals and some folks, well lets say that it's a success if they break a bird or two. I've seen some beginners break no more than 3 or 4 birds in a round. .
When I get someone brand new, I expect them to hit no less than 10-15 the first round of straights from 3. Some hit 20 if they are shooting one of my teaching guns with a high POI.

All I do these things.

1. I occlude their off eye with chapstick on their lens so that they can see the bead to target relationship with just one eye.

2. I have them mount an empty gun and hold a target up to create the angle that they will be shooting when they fire and tell them to raise the gun up until the bead touches the target. I tell them that is when they need to fire but they need to keep sweeping up as they fire.

3. I throw 2 or 3 targets that they dry fire at when their bead touches the target so that they can see what I want them to see when they live fire. I have them hold just a bit above the house just off the middle so that they can see the target come out.

If they miss i ask them what they saw when they fired and adjust from there. If they hit I ask them what they saw and tell them to do it that way again.

We then move to 4 and do that again except we add lead, then to 2, then to 5 adding in swing tempo and then to 1.

Usually, keeping the trap locked for straights from 3, we work across all 5 stations, 5shots each. Good students will usually hit about 20.

#19 ·
My average Sporting Clay's score lately had been in the 20's for 50. I do better in trap, 20+
Right now I can barely shoot the Winchester AA's at minimum dram 980fps without killing myself

My cervical surgery is scheduled for 7/6.
Discectomey of C4-5 & C5-6 then replace and fuse.

#20 ·
I once took my younger brother trap shooting, guns are his total passion. We are brothers, we do compete with each other.
He truly despises the fact I am simply a better shot than he. He can beat me occasionally on a pistol range only.
Let's just say he was a touch embarrassed, he managed to miss 22, I dropped one bird for my unfortunately usual 24. Yup that one bird that is between your ears.

I did tell him that trap is harder than it looks. But know he knows that, with certainty.

He did have a very bad day, typically he is much better. Of course I can't possibly allow him to live that day down....cuz we are brothers.

#21 ·
Trap is the easiest clay sport...easiest to hit a target.
That is what makes it so hard for novices; it's so easy to hit a trap target that the novice tends to relax, lose concentration, and miss a couple of targets in a round. Oooops....no straight this time. And trap is won with straights, lots of them.
100x100's, 200x200's, 300x300's are relatively common because.....trap targets are easy. It's the concentration that's hard to maintain.

#23 ·
The thing that makes trap "hard" is that a good score has to be a straight or near-straight. Hitting trap targets is easy, hitting 25 in a row is hard because we tend to let down, or relax our concentration BECAUSE THEY ARE EASY TARGETS.
As you all know, hitting 23 or 24 is easy. Shooting straights are hard because we make it hard.

Who knows what the record for missed trap targets is. Nobody is keeping track. :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.