ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: good place to go for trap instruction
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:08 pm 
Field Grade

I am in California. I was open to going to anywhere in the USA for a few days of intensive trap instruction, where would be a good place to go? I would be looking for top notch training.

There seems to be various local people that offer to coach but they don't have any particular credentials.

Post subject: Re: good place to go for trap instruction
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Are you talking about ATA trap or Bunker?

If you're looking to travel, I assume you would be able to go to one of the instructors below and work with them.

For ATA: A lot of the top trap instructors travel around. Harlan Campbell Jr, Nora Ross, Phil Kiner (maybe not so much now), Richard Marshall Jr are some of the top names, not sure what their schedules are with COVID. If I had my pick I would reach out to Harlan or Richard as I feel they would work well with my personality. Richard has a lot of videos online,

If you are talking about bunker, I don't know, but I would like to know!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:38 pm 
Field Grade

zxcvbnm wrote:

well so far my only experience has been with ATA. I am just starting to look around for places to get real coaching. Its like golf, everyone is an expert. I figure somewhere there actually be truly talented instructors.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

rhodesengr wrote:
zxcvbnm wrote:

well so far my only experience has been with ATA. I am just starting to look around for places to get real coaching. Its like golf, everyone is an expert. I figure somewhere there actually be truly talented instructors.

Those I listed above are among the top shots and coaches nationally. I am sure there is someone closer to you, maybe ask around your club or check those that are top shots in your area/state and start your search there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:02 pm 
Crown Grade

What part of California are you in? What gun are you shooting? Are you a hunter? How many can you hit out of 25 now?

I started with a good, local coach who helped me get my fundamentals correct. After about 18 months, I was sufficiently grounded in understanding the game and what I could do and not do and was ready for the next level and took a private, all day lesson with Leo Harrison. It was extremely beneficial because I could understand what he was talking about.

I really can't recommend a beginner taking a seminar from one of the nationally known instructors because they will get lost in the crowd and not understand the nuances being conveyed. Kinda like putting a first grader in with 4th graders.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:49 am 
Field Grade

Jim Tyner wrote:
What part of California are you in? What gun are you shooting? Are you a hunter? How many can you hit out of 25 now?

I am in the SF Bay area. I mostly shoot at Manteca Sportsmen. I am shooting an Ethos Sport. I have scored 21/25 once but mostly I get 18 or 19.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:26 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
define credentials.
you mean a pre packaged syllabus designed and certified by a board, that's sold to instructors for a fee, that must abide by the course outline?
or someone who really knows how to teach, who uses a variety of methods and adjusts to the needs of the student?

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:28 am 
Crown Grade

Do you have all 3 comb pads for your gun and which one are you using? Have you patterned it at 13 yards to check your POI?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nora Ross is coming to Lincoln, CA in Oct, and Harlan Campbell will be in AZ. in Nov.

The Nora Ross is perfect as she works with new shooters as well as long time shooters trying to sharpen their shooting.

Plus Lincoln is about 2 hr drive from bay area.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The credential I look for is skill. If the coach, clinician, instructor, whatever is able to apply there claimed expertise to themselves. The better the expert shoots, the bigger the fee and more credibility they have. If said coach shoots well, the more certainty what they instruct will be successful. That skilled coach may or may not be a good mental coach and mental is 90% of the game. Confidence kills more targets than 3 dram 7 1/2s. Being relaxed and confident in your knowledge and skills is the difference between average and big dog. Coaching that only gets you to the point of proper technique is a small part of the requirement needed.

You are looking for confidence..... In equipment choice, point of impact, proper technique, a way to stay mentally positive, where good scores prove success and create self-esteem.

Know what your needs are......Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Give Dave Tanner a call at Tanner Consulting in Modesto. He is a key person in the Central/NoCal youth trap shooting and he can steer you to a coach that can get you grounded in the fundamentals.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:40 am 
Limited Edition

I am available at Cheyenne anytime now! My stump is better and I can do clinics there very easily.

rhodesengr - I have been teaching trap shooting for almost 40 years with significant success.

I can also tell you that 1 day with me is all you need to get started down the road and if you think you need 2 days we can do that also but, I would rather see you want 4-6 weeks and then come back only ifyou think you need it.

PS- I video you so that there is no doubt about what mistakes you are making and we also make sure the gun is fitted for function AND POI.

Go to www.philkiner.com for contact info.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:01 pm 
Utility Grade

folfs recommend some potable hunting stools which are lightweight as well? thanks in advance :?

Last edited by mike camper on Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you have not tried a good DVD instructional video, you might try that.
I have a friend that learned his trap principles on Frank Little's DVD,
and then won the state shoot. I watched the video, and tried the
techniques, hold points etc, and was shooting 24s and 25s right away,
and I hardly ever shot trap then. I shot mostly skeet and sporting.

I was pretty impressed with his teaching, and it was dirt cheap.
https://shotgunsportsmagazine.com/shop/ ... ank-little

Here is a story about Little that you might enjoy.
http://www.pssatrap.org/ohye-little-1987.htm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have always credited Phil Kiner for my life trapshooting success. His original tapes, then DVDs and every Kiner written word I could find to read.

We are both sr vets now in trapshooting. I started in 1970 and registered in 1982. About the same for Phil, but he is the only All American shooter I know that has shot both 300x300 and 400x400 at major ATA events, more than once and still would if it wasn't for health issues. To me and many others Phil is trapshooting's ambassador and has the best in technical information available by video or in person.

A good start in trap would be Kiners video.

No ....Im not a paid promoter, just love his style....Maltz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I will second Maltzie's endorsement but will add that Phil is super generous with his time and has helped countless shooters without charging them a penny.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I've taken Nora's two-day course and highly recommend it.