ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: recoil on Browning BT99
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:21 am 
Field Grade

Hi everyone, flexible here. I seem to have a recoil problem with my Browning BT99. I shoot mostly skeet & Sporting Clays with a Blaser F3 (12 ga and several sub-gauge barrels) but shoot with my brother. Never had a problem with the 12 gauge setup.
I stumbled into a good deal on a used BT99 but it kicks a LOT more than my Blaser or my 20 gauge Browning Citori 725 Sporting gun.
The BT has LOP of 14 3/8 and i've measured my LOP from my elbow crook to fat pad on index finger and it's 15.
maybe the gun is moving around too much?
thanks,
flexible

Post subject: Re: recoil on Browning BT99
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Your approach to length of pull is old wives tale and has nothing to do with personal LOP needs. Although you are right, the problem is gun fit and LOP is part of that setting as well as being too short or long.

Resolve is either see a local gun fitter or order a gun fitting book to study and learn how to fit yourself as well as others. You can cover up poor fit with recoil reduction equipment and a soft top comb. The poor fit remains the same, but it doesn't hurt. Consider that 3 dram target loads fired through a light weight gun will have more felt recoil than heavier.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:24 am 
Field Grade

thanks, i have 'Stock Fitter's Bible' sitting on my shelf but never got around to reading it. certainly cheaper than a fitting $300 for the fitting and then the work????
thanks
flexible

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:27 am 
Utility Grade

flexible wrote:
thanks, i have 'Stock Fitter's Bible' sitting on my shelf but never got around to reading it.

You have a GREAT asset sitting dormant on your shelf !!

Rollin Oswald's book contains all the answers about why you may be having "recoil problems."

It addresses L.O.P. as well as pitch and cheek slap (if that is your problem).

I suggest you start your reading on page 35. ...Once you digest the rest, go back and read from the beginning.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:04 pm 
Crown Grade

LOP - how about a finger or two between your nose and back hand when in the shooting position. You don't want to be stretching to reach the trigger, and you don't want to hit your nose with your thumb when the shot goes off. I hate recoil and have found 7/8 or 1oz loads work just fine for 16yd shooting. Also skeet, 5-stand, and SCs. Good luck. [ actually I shoot my 3/4oz reloads 90% of the time ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Do not forget about cast, pitch, toe in or out, thickness of the comb, etc. A LOT more to gun fit than LOP

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:56 pm 
Crown Grade

flexible wrote:
thanks, i have 'Stock Fitter's Bible' sitting on my shelf but never got around to reading it. certainly cheaper than a fitting $300 for the fitting and then the work????
thanks
flexible

Seriously!?........don’t be lazy. Read the book. Then push the ‘easy’ button. Lighten the payload, increase the weight of the gun, read the book.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, read my book. (Hopefully you have the second addition, in which the original proof reader corrected the typos and awkward sentences missed in the first edition.)

When you have read the book and still have questions, feel free to call me in Wisconsin at (920) 422-6124.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:21 pm 
Field Grade

Finally read 'Stock Fitters Bible' and realized a big part of my problem, I bought it used and found out the butt had been cut down. No wonder i was having problems.
went to a pro for a fitting and the gun is already a LOT better.
thanks for all the advice
flexible.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

I was commenting on his theory of " elbow to trigger finger " to figure length of pull, nothing else. That is not a proper way to determine LOP. How you face the target greatly effects your LOP. Stand 90 degrees to your kill point [ like Churchill promotes ] and then stand like a rifleman. There's a big difference.