ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How is fps tested if it comes up at a ATA match?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:34 am 
Crown Grade

George Z wrote:
So related update. not about anyone complaining but just something interesting. I tested my loads on a chrono and also tested some of my friends and some stock ammo as well. Only my friends loads where near expected data shot out of his Browning CTX. All the loads shot out of my Mossberg 500 as well as most of the loads shot out of my 1100 with a 22 in slug barrel was a minimum of 500 fps over written data on the factory box or my load data. And in some cases 1000-1500fps over. The really hot load was a factory super sport AA not legal for trap but the box said 3000 and i was getting 4400-4500. This box of ammo also kicks like a dang magnum so it could be an odd factory box. The 1100 had a open choke and my mossberg was a full iirc. I am planning on doing some more testing; Not because of my original question on the thread, you all alleviated my fears, but just because I am curious now, I just thought it was interesting how much a difference there was. edit: This is all off memory, my chrono decided not to record my results cause my phone didnt connect right. But Me and 2 other people where kinda floored by how much a difference it was compared to what we expected. When i test more I will make sure the app is recording.

Methinks either your chrono needed recalibration, or it was being used incorrectly.
Winchester AA's factory rated at 3000fps??? Maybe 1300.....
I guess a third possibility is memory loss?

Last edited by mudpack on Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:37 am 
Crown Grade

twohigh wrote:
George Z wrote:
All the loads shot out of my Mossberg 500 as well as most of the loads shot out of my 1100 with a 22 in slug barrel was a minimum of 500 fps over written data on the factory box or my load data. And in some cases 1000-1500fps over. The really hot load was a factory super sport AA not legal for trap but the box said 3000 and i was getting 4400-4500.

"Whatcha talkin' about Willis?" 1000 fps over wha? 4400 fps out of a wha? Normally I would assume this is a typo but there are too many of them. Is this a poor attempt at a joke? Anyone making sense out of this or is it just not worth the effort?

I would check the chronograph. I have tried to chronograph rifle loads at a local shooting range and people shooting next to me would put a reading on the chronograph even though they weren't shooting through the sky screens. Chronographs can't tell the difference between a bullet and a shock wave from the muzzle blast.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:00 am 
Diamond Grade

There's more than a poor memory or a faulty chronograph going on here, there's a lack of basic firearm ballistic knowledge to even think such shotgun velocities are even remotely possible.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:18 am 
Field Grade

Wow. Did I ever miss type and brain fart when I made that update.

1300 AA super sport was reading 1450. My 1250 loads where reading 1350.

I meant a deviation of +100-150.

I got the hundreds and thousands mixed up in my head when typing it out. I am not that crazy guys LOL.

Gonna have to start proof reading more, and less posting right before bed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:03 pm 
Crown Grade

George Z wrote:
Wow. Did I ever miss type and brain fart when I made that update.
1300 AA super sport was reading 1450. My 1250 loads where reading 1350.
I meant a deviation of +100-150.
I got the hundreds and thousands mixed up in my head when typing it out. I am not that crazy guys LOL.
Gonna have to start proof reading more, and less posting right before bed!

:wink:
No problem George. We tend to have more memory lapses as we age. I know I do....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:48 pm 
Field Grade

mudpack wrote:
No problem George. We tend to have more memory lapses as we age. I know I do....

I felt so awkward when I woke up and read the responses, just felt so stupid LOL.

Thanks for the good words!