ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to practice on the cheap?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Reloading can be a saving, but only on a volume basis. Basically buying by the case lot or by the pallet. Case of 5000 primers vs a box of a thousand is a good example already noted. Buying quality hard shot vs cheap foreign made shot will allow you to make premium quality reloads that compare to premium shells. There is the true saving. Quality reloaded ammo compared to new promo shells sold at the local mart store. You can make better ammo at the same price than all the foreign shell manufactures that most people buy.

Always practice with purpose. Have a reason and a goal for the practice. Make an effort every shot to break the target. Be analytical of yourself the equipment and techniques being employed. Keep notes on what works, especially to review when a slump raises it ugly head.

Just shooting target after target unaware only helps muscle memory and can create bad habits hard to break. These are the shooters that have shot thousands, even hundred thousands of targets that only shoot average or less. They are fun shooters enjoying the game with friends without interest in becoming a better shooter. Lots of them and they are great people, but there are those that are serious about becoming championship shooters. You decide what you want to be down the road.

Right now your looking at the cost of shooting, would like to be a better shooter and have no idea what that would require. It will be very expensive to become great, still expensive to be good. Or for less cost just have fun. If your a competitive perfectionist better have a better job in life, if a fun shooter keep expectations in perspective.

Maltz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:54 am 
Crown Grade

The only reason to not use the Vectan powders is once they're gone, Graf's will not be importing it any longer. At that point you'll need to pick a different powder.

I jumped on the Vectan bandwagon, and bought enough that running out won't be a problem for a long time. If you go that route, I'd suggest you do the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

painter* wrote:
The only reason to not use the Vectan powders is once they're gone, Graf's will not be importing it any longer. At that point you'll need to pick a different powder.

I jumped on the Vectan bandwagon, and bought enough that running out won't be a problem for a long time. If you go that route, I'd suggest you do the same.

I wish I had bought 20 canisters each of Prima SV and A24.
I didn't know they would soon be gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

If your range fees are high you may be able to save some money buying your own trap and targets, but not with the manual thrower that you have to reset. It will save you nothing after you put in in a dark corner of your garage and to never get used again which is what will happen after your first use of it.

If you are shooting 12 gauge, reloading may save you a little AFTER you recover the cost of all the reloading equipment and if the time you spend reloading is of no value to you. Nearly all the reloading equipment I have was purchased cheap from someone who purchased the equipment with the goal of saving money. Savings are small for 12 gauge and many people do not love reloading and have better things to do with their time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:40 pm 
Field Grade

DEG wrote:
If your range fees are high you may be able to save some money buying your own trap and targets, but not with the manual thrower that you have to reset. It will save you nothing after you put in in a dark corner of your garage and to never get used again which is what will happen after your first use of it.

If you are shooting 12 gauge, reloading may save you a little AFTER you recover the cost of all the reloading equipment and if the time you spend reloading is of no value to you. Nearly all the reloading equipment I have was purchased cheap from someone who purchased the equipment with the goal of saving money. Savings are small for 12 gauge and many people do not love reloading and have better things to do with their time.

That does make sense on the manual trap. Unless I could convince someone to do it for me lol.

I am super lucky in that the total cost of all my reloading equipment has not gone over 100$ yet. I got a nice old P/W 800 cvt from an amazing gentleman at my range.

And right now with out buying bulk yet. I.E. I am only buying 1k primers, 500-1000 wads at a time, 1-2 bags of shot ect... while learning what I want to use long term I am spending ~$4.88 a box of 25. Once I figure out what I will budget for trap, practice, and reloading. I will start buying bulk.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:00 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
I figured it this way in my day....

cost of reloading equipment =
cost of supplies =
cost of annual membership =

=====================add =_________

divide x 12 months = ____________the cost to shoot per month

divide x 4 = _________the cost to shoot per week

divide x number of days you shoot a week = ___________daily cost

daily cost divided x how many boxes a day = ___________

the actual cost per game = ______________

add club fee for birds per game = ______________

that's how much its costing you per box to shoot.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:18 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
the next year, cost of equipment is dropped, but club birds, membership, supplies... all go up.
recalculate.......new cost per game = __________

this is why ammo co's adjust their price point to compete with reloading co's to get your money.
if they can convince you its cheaper to just buy ammo new....and forget reloading, they win.

the only way reloading benefits anyone is for custom loading and small bore reloads.
12 and 20 is cheaper just to buy and toss it.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:23 am 
Crown Grade

the only reason I reload now is because I have so many supplies bought decades ago at good prices...and enough hulls to sink a battleship.....that I must reload. once im done reloading and all my supplies are gone...gone will be my reloading bench.
then I start on my factory ammo I bought decades ago for a good price.
odds are...i'll be dead before its all gone, so im selling it off too.
I quit on 9mm/45acp and 38spl reloading 20 years ago. all my gear just sits collecting rust and dust.
sad to see a Dillon 550 go to waste but.........I got tired of melting lead, greasing, and seating.
my life got too busy for all that. anyone want it? pm me. will sell ftf in conn.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:25 am 
Crown Grade

bobski wrote:
the only reason I reload now is because I have so many supplies bought decades ago at good prices...and enough hulls to sink a battleship.....that I must reload. once im done reloading and all my supplies are gone...gone will be my reloading bench.
then I start on my factory ammo I bought decades ago for a good price.
odds are...i'll be dead before its all gone, so im selling it off too.
I quit on 9mm/45acp and 38spl reloading 20 years ago. all my gear just sits collecting rust and dust.
sad to see a Dillon 550 go to waste but.........I got tired of melting lead, greasing, and seating.
my life got too busy for all that. anyone want it? pm me. will sell ftf in conn.

Looks like you could use a .22 Hornet and a .44-40, these are the metallic cartridge versions of .410 and 28 gauge shotshells and your Dillon 550 won't go to waste.
Out of curiosity, I looked to see if the local Cabela's had any .250-3000 Savage ammo. No luck, it looks like if you have one of those rifles, you'll have to "reverse wildcat" ammo from .22-250 brass. God help you if you own a .32-40.

I sold a Ruger Vaquero in .44-40 to someone and now he's griping that the ammo for it is $50 a box.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:59 pm 
Crown Grade

bobski wrote:
I don't think getting a clay machine is a good thing cost wise. it wont allow you to practice the actual game on a bonified layout.
all youll be doing is shooting and expending ammo, but what would you be practicing? follow me? what kind of gun you own?

This ^^^.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:12 pm 
Utility Grade

So...I am returning to trap after over a decade of being out. One of the things that chased me out was the rise in reloading costs. It got to the point where it was nearly cheaper to but winchester white box than to reload. At the time I was reloading rem GCs and win AA. Lead prices shot up and I got discouraged. Bought Win white boxes for a few months and then life situation forced me out.

Now I'm back....with more disposable income...but still possibly wanting to save a few bucks. Right now I can only shoot once a week at my club. They're open fri-mon for trap...I work fri-sun. So Monday is all I have atm.

Will reloading save me much? I am in washington state and haven't checked shot prices yet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:00 am 
Crown Grade

PITA 7660 wrote:
Will reloading save me much? I am in washington state and haven't checked shot prices yet.

The answer to your question is posted multiple times in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:42 pm 
Utility Grade

DEG wrote:
PITA 7660 wrote:

The answer to your question is posted multiple times in this thread.

Was it? The last time I was reloading, the cost of local lead was my breaking factor...I didn't see anyone mention the price of shot in my area, I know it can vary a lot....I was hoping someone from Wa would have weighed in...what may be $4.50/box in one state, may be $5.50/box in another.

Or maybe I am overthinking it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Reloading to save money is just a great way of lying to yourself. Saving a dollar a box compared to the total cost of trapshooting is just a silly concept.

Reloading is a hobby in its own right and if you enjoy creating and shooting your own ammo then it is worth doing.

But reloading to save money? No.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:52 pm 
Field Grade

I can do 3/4 oz shells for approx. $3.60 a box.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:19 pm 
Field Grade

So just got my first large batch of powder (grabbed the vectan gm3, Dont buy it, it sucks... hehe) in so my costs have gone down some more on reloading.

4.05 with 7/8 oz load
4.30 on 1oz
4.55 on 1-1/8 oz

No bulk savings on anything but powder so far. Once I get my primers and shot bulk I expect it to be ~ 40-60 cents less on each load.

I get all my hulls free so that helps a ton!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:06 am 
Utility Grade

Most people I know who reload do it as much for enjoyment as for cost savings. I save from $1 - $1.25 /box on my reloads but would not bother if I didn't enjoy it as a hobby too. If it's not fun then it's more like a job and you may want to consider what your time is worth.