ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shooting "Old" guns
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

mcneeley5 wrote:
Shooting your Old Gun is even more fun over Old Trap Machines!
The Ford Model A axle trailer was our ranch welding rig for years, It got wobbly for the road so I repurposed it!
Pull pipe with a Cline electric motor and a 1524 Wobble trap (with triples no less)

Attachment:
IMG_1452.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1453.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1519.jpeg

I just saw one of your videos with the old trap machine and recognized some people. It took me a sec to realize I know where it was at! You still shoot at Sierra Vista range?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:09 am 
Tournament Grade

George, Yes you are right--it is the SV range.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Got another oldie to play with.
Ithaca LeFever #3, a cheap offering at $34 in the 20's BUT has the same ribbed 30" barrel as it's brothers the 4's'5's 6"s etc....
Shooting 27 yard trap with the old veteran just smokes em.......

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a Stevens 311 from 1960 and my fathers 1897 Winchester, both in excellent condition but I can't hit squat with the 311 and the 1897 has so many moving parts it scares me :lol: I will stick with my Brownings and Fabarms over unders.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:18 am 
Field Grade

I've shot my grandfather's Eastern Arms 12g before. I know the company went out of business in the 40's. Just a single barrel 30" full choke. I only shot the Winchester AA's 980fps .91oz #8's in it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:43 pm 
Crown Grade

I just got back from a re-blue job my $100 Browning auto-5. The re-blue was $140, barrel and receiver. It has a Mod barrel, so now to order a shell catcher so I can shoot some trap without bothering the guys to my right. I cleaned up the stock with some 0000 steel wool and some stock oil. Looks pretty good for 240 [ way under what they're asking on Gun Broker ]. I can always sell it for another buck or two if I don't like the way it shoots.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I fixed up a 1913 Fox Sterlingworth and shot multiple skeet straights with it. Just this past hunting season, a friend convinced me to sell it to him. He hasn't need the second trigger on a bird yet. I hunt upland, and shoot five stand, with a 16 gauge 1924 Lefever Nitro Special that I carved a straight stock for, replaced the firing pins and some other stuff in her guts. No one is buying that gun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shoot Black powder cartridge Trap with a humble 50 year old Cooey 12 gauge single shot - 36 inch barrel.
There are a lot of Cooey and H&R single shots in our BP shoots. My gun is the only 36 inch barrel.
We also shoot percussion and flint ML
Trap events.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

With my Krieghoff KX-5 in the hospital with a broken ejector, my back-up 1928 Model 12 is back on the trap range and doing ok. I had one older shooter faun all over it and he had to pick it up and shoulder it (with my permission). He had the most pleasant far away look in his eye and smile on his face.

ps my KX-5 is back and was converted from ejectors to extractors to prevent any further breakage. They (Krieghoff USA) did a great job and the turn-around was very quick. The 1928 M12 is off active duty and is once again in reserve.

Last edited by twohigh on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:21 pm 
Crown Grade

sask, funny you brought up a Cooey - I had a single barrel sitting in the corner of my reloading room and just last week picked it up and it was a Cooey. The top lever goes either way and to the right quite far before it opens. I'm gonna have to open it up and see what's happening. There's a couple of us who on occasion like to shoot smoke. I have four Parkers, an " uncle Dan Lefever," and nine Remingtons made before 1900. The 870 and auto-5 are the only other shotguns I own. The only reason for the 870 is "pump gun Friday" at the club, and the auto-5 because it was too good a deal to pass up on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:09 am 
Field Grade

doppelflinten wrote:
The Rattler wrote:
I find shooting old guns is a hoot. I love doing it.

Shooting trap with an old Model 97 on a hot summer day can be a challenge. The heat waves coming off the ribless barrel can create a mirage distorting the view of the bird. You have to decide if what you see is travelling above, below or to either side of the bird's true position!

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

I had a Winchester Model 1897 Black Diamond Grade Pigeon Gun that I used to shoot Trap with. Full choke barrel was 32 inches a real clay buster.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:01 am 
Presentation Grade

Old?
I have an 1850s Thomas Fletcher of Gloucester - 10 bore percussion single barrel wildfowler.
Being gently restored this winter, for future use.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Working on getting An Iver Johnson Trap Special range ready. It shoots fine but the stock had a crack in it, Forearm is loose, missing the front bead, and the chamber is a little rough ( rest of the barrel is a mirror, but chamber is really rough for some reason )

The barrel issues are getting fixed by a gun smith, and the wood is getting fixed by me and someone at the range if I can convince him to assist or give me pointers :P. Hopefully in the next month or so I will have it all put back tougher and having fun with it at the range!