ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grand American Shootoff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:25 am 
Field Grade

I'm looking at the scores for the Remington Handicap at the Grand and as usual there are a lot of good scores on top. So I am curious:

The guys that shot 97's this year are in maybe a 20 way tie for Ninth Place. Do they shoot off for that?
How far down do people shoot off for places?

I've never been to the Grand so I've no knowledge on this subject but I'm sure someone here must know!

Bryand

Post subject: Re: Grand American Shootoff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:33 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
Just giving the scores and trophy report a quick look:
Dagen Voigtman champ with the lone 100/100
2 of the 99's dropped out to category champ, leaving 3 - 99's to shoot off for 2nd - 4th place
2 - 98's shot off for 5th - 6th place
of the 15 - 97's, some may have dropped out to category, and it looks like only 3 shot off shot off for for 7th - 9th (must have had some no-shows)
96's, probably a bunch of them, shot off for 10th - 15th

Shootoffs at the GA is quite an event - and just a little complicated, with all the categories, yardage groups, etc. There are many shootoffs running concurrently. It is not uncommon for shooters to not answer the call for shootoffs. I think largely because they aren't confident, or sometimes travel is an issue. I've tanked a few miserably, but when you prevail over a large field, it is quite a rush.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In most all major trap shoot events scores with like events later in the week roll/carry over. The next like event will be considered a shoot off and a new score for that individual event.

Example: shoot a 97 in Wed's singles and tie for an award. The next days singles will determine .....shooter Y shoots a 25-25-23-24 =97. Shooter Y scores 25-24-25-24= 98

Shooter X wins the previous day shoot off with the 25-25. Shooter Y wins the today event.

Like scores that have no next similar event scheduled . Goes to the line for a shoot off later on that day to determine winners. All championship events go to the line and shoots off. May not be the same day if conditions do not allow it.

Saves a lot of expense and time for the host club and their officials

Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tal is right. I would go to shoot offs at the Grans American, but other shoots, I usually look to who has similar scores and forfeit to a young or new shooter. All American points are the same, money splits, and I do not need any more trophies to store or for my wife to dust.

Maltz