ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What happened at trapshooters.com?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Never been to trapshooters before just a few seconds ago, and not sure about forum ownership, but xenphoro is what many sites, and apparently trapshooters is using as their software. two other sites I participate in, have switched to them over the last couple years, and they are smaller, and I think independent.

Not sure about the corporate spiderweb of ownership of other sites mentioned above.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:14 pm 
Crown Grade

TS is owned by Vertical Scope. The controlling share of Vertical Scope is owned by the Toronto Star a liberal, anti gun, publishing company.

This company buys forums, mostly motor sports oriented, but they've branched out to all sports including shooting. An interesting fact is Vertical Scope doesn't name any of the firearm oriented sites in it's site list.

I, personally, won't join or participate on any Vertical Scope forums.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
its all about clicks and hits with them. nothing more.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:21 pm 
Crown Grade

bobski wrote:
its all about clicks and hits with them. nothing more.

That's exactly correct.

VS doesn't care about anything else, and they charge their advertisers based on the number of registrations, not active members, so they don't care if a mod bans everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:04 am 
Presentation Grade

I like trapshooters a lot, haven’t had any issues getting banned. I get that the site owners need to generate income. They are not a nonprofit. I do have to say that I don’t really go for the ads in the middle of the threads column, and then blackmailing/charging $20 to get rid of them. Having said that, it is not My forum. If it gets too bad, I just won’t participate anymore. IMHO the ads are a little over the top over there now. Still, a lot of shooters, and info over there. Note! I just wanted to update My post. As others, have said, it makes a huge difference in the amount of ads in the threads comments, and off to the side of the page, if You are actually logged in! I had not tried that yet, and it reduced the number of ads by about 90%. If You have not done this, try it. It made a huge difference. Silly Me, I thought the page would be the same, regardless of whether, or not I was logged in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:32 am 
Tournament Grade

I got banned 16 months ago. I still read t but can not post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:10 pm 
Crown Grade

longliner wrote:
I like trapshooters a lot, haven’t had any issues getting banned. I get that the site owners need to generate income. They are not a nonprofit. I do have to say that I don’t really go for the ads in the middle of the threads column, and then blackmailing/charging $20 to get rid of them. Having said that, it is not My forum. If it gets too bad, I just won’t participate anymore. IMHO the ads are a little over the top over there now. Still, a lot of shooters, and info over there. Note! I just wanted to update My post. As others, have said, it makes a huge difference in the amount of ads in the threads comments, and off to the side of the page, if You are actually logged in! I had not tried that yet, and it reduced the number of ads by about 90%. If You have not done this, try it. It made a huge difference. Silly Me, I thought the page would be the same, regardless of whether, or not I was logged in.

Have you tried using something like AdBlockPlus?
Even work for the Guerini ads here; I am on a few of their other sites and I don't get any ads

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Oneounce, good advice. I will try it. Thank You.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:04 am 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
Have you tried using something like AdBlockPlus?
Even work for the Guerini ads here; I am on a few of their other sites and I don't get any ads

AdBlockPlus definitely works. You even get to see how many ads are being knocked down on your favorite sites. Simple install too.

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:19 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Maser wrote:
The forum software got a major overhaul today. I also noticed that a certain admin no longer has admin powers anymore. Maybe that means myself and the many others who were banned by him can come back?

Does that mean Vertical Scope installed the same new Xenforo that they did on National Gun Forum and one of the S&W forums? If so, it is a major improvement over most old systems, but folks will have a learning curve initially.

VS is terrible. In addition to many others, they've ruined both bowfishingcountry and huntingpa. They are owned by some antigunners, too, from what I've read. What is there to like about it? Easier to post pics from a smartphone? They are bad people.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:07 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
I use to dabble in stats whenever I would visit a new forum. I use to click the members list to see how many people were involved.
I was shocked to see how many members opened accounts with no posts. zero. nothing!
in some cases, it would be 1/2 the total members list.
interesting.....

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:43 am 

bobski wrote:
I use to dabble in stats whenever I would visit a new forum. I use to click the members list to see how many people were involved.
I was shocked to see how many members opened accounts with no posts. zero. nothing!
interesting.....

Many of the zero post members have spam links in their user profiles and are already banned for that. Many of the zero post users, will attempt to come back months or years later to spam the forum, but that doesn't work for them either.
There is a lot of preventative stuff done that you guys never see but keeps me busy. I have probably banned 5000 users within the last year before you ever saw anything from them.
It is a never ending battle.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Curly, I appreciate what You’re doing to make it better for those of Us that come on this site!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

longliner wrote:
Thanks Curly, I appreciate what You’re doing to make it better for those of Us that come on this site!

Ditto that!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Curly N wrote:
bobski wrote:
interesting.....

Many of the zero post members have spam links in their user profiles and are already banned for that. Many of the zero post users, will attempt to come back months or years later to spam the forum, but that doesn't work for them either.
There is a lot of preventative stuff done that you guys never see but keeps me busy. I have probably banned 5000 users within the last year before you ever saw anything from them.

Many of us remember the Chinese spammers well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Curly N wrote:
bobski wrote:
interesting.....

It's too bad there isn't a modification for this software that would allow you to catch them at registration.

I use an add on to my forum that's proven foolproof, which is a good thing because I'm suspect. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

mudpack wrote:
Some guys just can't stop being ugly to posters who have differing opinions.
What makes it doubly bad is that the "moderator" is one of the worst offenders.

totally, the folks there are brutal to the point where posting just isn't worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:52 am 
Crown Grade

I post to share and learn valuable insights and opinions in a civilized manner. when im attacked and blocked for being of a caring nature, one can only question the morals of some. anyone who wont take advice from someone (in) ground zero at the time, who was trying to caution others that its (coming your way. protect your kids,) and bans me....sheds a bad light on the website. and since like minds tend to congregate, it reflects on the innocent as well as the nasty ones. sad indeed. I really enjoyed that sites knowledge.
I should have never left sgw. im here to stay now.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:18 am 
Crown Grade

Seems the site has calmed down a bunch since everyone got used to the new format and OSO lost his dictator privilege. I also was unbanned a few days ago so maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
∞ R.I.P. 8Chan 2013-2019 ∞
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:30 am 
Crown Grade

oso got reduced in rank or fired??

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner: