ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Above average score means what in ATA?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:36 am 
Field Grade

Hello all.

I have read posts from a couple people who imply they are knowledgeable trap shooters (other sites if I recall where I saw it correctly.) by stating they shoot above average, but never mention a class or anything. Just when asked they say "I am an above average ATA shooter".

I mean even with a class doesn't shooting above average just mean you will move up a class soon and not be shooting above average anymore till you get better again?

Is there an overall ATA average people refer to, or is this a form of blowing smoke? Shouldn't they just state their class or average score over the last year?

Thanks
George.

Post subject: Re: Above average score means what in ATA?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:06 am 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
You can look at distribution by singles classes for all ATA shooters
97%+ AA = 4.8% of shooters
94%+ A = 15.4% of shooters
91%+ B = 17.9% of shooters
88%+ C = 14.9% of shooters
Under 88% D = 47.1% of shooters

Those numbers are several years old, but I don’t imagine they change much year to year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:28 am 
Crown Grade

George Z wrote:
Hello all.

I have read posts from a couple people who imply they are knowledgeable trap shooters (other sites if I recall where I saw it correctly.) by stating they shoot above average, but never mention a class or anything. Just when asked they say "I am an above average ATA shooter".

I mean even with a class doesn't shooting above average just mean you will move up a class soon and not be shooting above average anymore till you get better again?

Is there an overall ATA average people refer to, or is this a form of blowing smoke? Shouldn't they just state their class or average score over the last year?

Thanks
George.

If you go to the ATA website, you can enter your ATA number and print out an average card, which you will have to show when registering at a major event that has class trophies. It also shows your handicap yardage.
My understanding is that your class is determined by your yearly average or your last 500 targets, whichever is higher. This makes it harder to purposely shoot low scores right before the event to sandbag into a lower class.

If you are shooting for glory, not buying into class purse options, nobody cares.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"Average" is a judgement call by those trying to explain. Then there are differences between those that shoot a lot to those that shoot less. Non-registered compared registered....etc. A word to create a difference for perspective.

ATA B class is considered average. About 91% in 5 class and 92% in 6 classes (D-AAA)
League & derby shooters average is about 88% judged by the experience of a gun club official doing the dreaded paperwork.

So if you consider 88% average then you must shoot 22 per trap to be average. Registered average would be about 23 per trap as average.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:05 am 
Crown Grade

The problem with those high averages is that you only have to shoot one bad score to bring that average way down and then you have to shoot a whole bunch of near perfect scores to get back to where you used to be. If I was to shoot 100 straight next week, it would only raise my average about a quarter point.
Or wait until September when the new target year starts.

Skeet on the other hand uses a running average based on your last five events, you just have to shoot good until that bad score drops off the scorecard to get your average back up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:59 am 
Diamond Grade

At the age of 64, I attended my first ATA event 2 weeks ago. I was placed into B class at registration (which I figured was because that was about avg). There were 36 shooters shooting 16 yd singles. The shoot report was posted on the State's Trap Association's website and included the average score for the event, which was 91 (a B class score). I shot a 94 and B class was won with a 97 (as was A & C class).

I agree with Maltz. 92% for registered shooters would seem to be about average, but, if you were to include the occasional, recreational trap shooters, the average would drop to somewhere in the low to mid 80s, based on my observations in my area.

My experience was that once I started shooting decent scores after a year and a half of recreational trap, my buddies started suggesting I shoot registered events, so I joined ATA this year. With all the cancellations due to da virus, it wasn't the best year for a beginner to get in some registered targets. This weekend I'll attend the Eastern Zone Championships, just for the experience, but I'm not sure what class they'll place me into with only one event under my belt.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I ran Tues. night ATA big 50's this year to allow some new to registered shooters an opportunity to get some targets on record. It has turned out to be popular and will do the same next year. Also added a jackpot to the big 50 where if you win the singles and caps added together 3 times you win the money. Payed 260.00 in June and have 168.00 going into our last event tomorrow night. Looks like a carry over for next year. Non-registered shooters can join in on the jackpot or choose to registered before the event starts. It is a growing success and I'm willing to do the BS paperwork for the club and ATA.

Will require a volunteer or two....... be one.

Maltz