ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Effect of gun weight
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:20 am 
Crown Grade

Yesterday, I shot a 100-bird sporting clays Charity event. When I was done, a shooter I know offered to let me shoot his new A400 Extreme and I accepted. I first noticed that it was about a pound and a half lighter than my Citori which I had been shooting. Then, I noticed the Kick-Off feature on the Beretta. I mentioned both of these to the owner, who said that was why he got the gun; his scores would drop during the last third of an event when using his heavier O/U.
I shot it at two pair and was amazed to find it's recoil was much more noticeable than on my Citori. A gas-operated autoloader, with a recoil device, had more felt recoil than my O/U???!!! (I used the same ammo as I had with my gun during the event)
I guess there is a lot to be said for gun weight.

(NOTE: the Citori does have a Limbsaver Airtech recoil pad on it....)

Last edited by mudpack on Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Effect of gun weight
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:31 am 
Tournament Grade

The Limbsaver AirTech does a great job. I have a new citori. May I ask what model number you put on your citori??

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:00 am 
Crown Grade

You are talking about 1 pound of added weight and also most likely, a gun that doesn't quite fit you as well as your Browning does.

Using a recoil calculator and gun weights of 8 & 9 pounds with [email protected] 1200, the lighter gun has recoil of 16.7 and the heavier gun is 14.9; you would feel that difference, especially if the gun fit is not the same.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
weight is your friend.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

mudpack wrote:
I shot it at two pair and was amazed to find it's recoil was much more noticeable than on my Citori. A gas-operated autoloader, with a recoil device, had more felt recoil than my O/U???!!!

How can that be? Beretta says the state of the Art A400 kicks less.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:03 pm 
Crown Grade

richg99 wrote:
The Limbsaver AirTech does a great job. I have a new citori. May I ask what model number you put on your citori?? thanks

The #10800. It's a very, very good fit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:32 pm 
Crown Grade

JoeCool wrote:
How can that be? Beretta says the state of the Art A400 kicks less.

That's the problem with advertising, Joe; they never tell you what it kicks less than.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

mudpack, thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Won't matter if it doesn't fit.............

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:27 am 
Tournament Grade

I had an A400 Sporting (with out a Kick Off) and it had way less felt recoil than my 686 Sporting, both 12 gauge. I also have a 686 Field model in 20 gauge that the felt recoil is about the same as my 686 12 gauge. I am assuming because it's lighter. I also have a Beretta AL-2 S/A in 12 gauge that has less felt recoil than my 686 12. I mostly shoot my 686 12 although I do like that little 20 gauge. Hell I like em all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Felt or perceived recoil is the result of three things all of which are interrelated: They are gun weight, shooter confirmation (size and shape of the shooter), and shooting form (gun mount, head and neck posture, weight distribution and stance (foot placement).

A shotgun that is said to "fit" the shooter is one that allows him or her to use a good shooting form, which by its very nature, reduces felt recoil with a gun weight that the shooter can shoot without noticeable fatigue.

The most common cause of unacceptable recoil if a poorly fitting gun, which in turn, requires a corrupted shooting form to be used.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:06 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Rollin Oswald wrote:
Felt or perceived recoil is the result of three things all of which are interrelated: They are gun weight, shooter confirmation (size and shape of the shooter), and shooting form (gun mount, head and neck posture, weight distribution and stance (foot placement).

I suppose you can add in clothing, recoil pads, age / flexibility / sensitivity of the shooter, gas-operation (or not), and the number of rounds fired per hour.

http://randywakeman.com/

Last edited by RandyWakeman on Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:54 pm 
Crown Grade

If you relax your shoulder so that it is not tense and can recoil with the gun felt recoil can be greatly reduced. There is also the fact that some people just aren't very sensitive to recoil. I never even notice recoil at all unless I get my face misaligned during the shot and get bumped where it shouldn't be getting bump.

When practicing, I have no problem shooting 150, 3 dram rounds in an hour but I work on my shoulder muscle mass and relax it to absorb the recoil.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Jim Tyner wrote:
...but I work on my shoulder muscle mass and relax it to absorb the recoil.

Lucky. I can't even find mine.

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just added a Limbsaver recoil pad onto my Citori today. Hardly felt the 1 1/8 oz 12 gauge shells.

I am amazed at what the weight difference, and the pad, has done to my felt recoil...compared to my 12 gauge 870 pump..before adding a pad onto it. Just small tweaks and each one helped.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:34 am 
Crown Grade

richg99 wrote:
Just added a Limbsaver recoil pad onto my Citori today. Hardly felt the 1 1/8 oz 12 gauge shells.

You don't say which Limbsaver you put on your Citori.

I have Limbsaver Classics on some guns and Limbsaver AirTechs on others. I think the AirTech is even better than the Classic. It does show more wear, but I shoot SC and 5-Stand both low gun, so there is somewhat more wear.
Increased wear is a small price to pay for enhanced recoil attenuation, in my mind. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:19 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

mudpack wrote:
A gas-operated autoloader, with a recoil device, had more felt recoil than my O/U???!!! (I used the same ammo as I had with my gun during the event)
I guess there is a lot to be said for gun weight.

The problem is that this is just one-incident reporting which doesn't mean anything. Felt recoil can be anything you say it is or think it is. It is "if you say so." You have a lot of guns to try rather than just one, and a lot of loads to try as well. A whole lot.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:09 am 
Tournament Grade

On the Citori, I put the Air Tech Limbsaver #10800, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:30 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
The problem is that this is just one-incident reporting which doesn't mean anything. Felt recoil can be anything you say it is or think it is. It is "if you say so." You have a lot of guns to try rather than just one, and a lot of loads to try as well. A whole lot.

It's not a problem for me, Wakeman, the light autoloader hit me harder than the heavier O/U. It's an anecdote. I'm not attempting to play expert, I just report what I experience if it's interesting.
Otherwise I try to keep my mouth shut.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:19 am 
Crown Grade

When I use 1 1/8oz loads I obviously have to lead more and I find that a heavier gun makes leading much smoother than a lighter gun which kinda makes me jerk a bit.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
∞ R.I.P. 8Chan 2013-2019 ∞
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant