Shotgunworld.com
https://www.shotgunworld.com:443/bbs/

Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?
https://www.shotgunworld.com:443/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=517724
Page 1 of 1

Author:  George Z [ Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

Hello all

I was looking to get an U/O "soon™" and honestly given the way I shoot and load up the ammo I figured I would enjoy an extractor instead of an ejector. Right now catching the ejected shells is an awkward effort on my part cause of some left arm mobility issues, I expect it to be healed/fixed in a year or so, but still feel I would prefer an extractor system even after I healed.

I know a lot of people like the ejectors cause they can easily catch them and all that.

But that said is there a functional, price, or any other reason that I would want to avoid getting a gun with extractors?

Thanks

Author:  T-Pee [ Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

Reading about the Citori CX I have on the way, 80% of the service issues are for ejector breakage. Considering how the hulls get hammered out of the tubes it makes sense.
Solution? 1911 firing pin springs under the ejector hammers makes it a reliable extractor.
If you have mobility issues, why get a gun that has ejectors? It would seem many guns would come either/or. The ATI Cavalry I bought a while back gave you a choice of which way you could go. I don't remember any difference in price.

tp

Author:  toptechX6 [ Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

As T-Pee mentioned one nice feature of the Citori is that you can choose, the standard ejectors will toss your empties if you so choose, but the simple replacement of the ejector springs with 1911 firing pin springs turns them into extractors, an added benefit is longer parts life. There is a "how to" post in the Browning forum showing how it is done, very easy.

Author:  jrmev [ Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

I have a Cynergy that was converted to extract and I see no reason to convert it back.

Jim

Author:  Auldthymer [ Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

That's all good to know and a really good idea, but practicing blocking the empties before they leave the chamber should solve any problem with ejectors. As you break the action with the butt resting on your slightly raised thigh (ankle raised up on your toes), you just cover the chambers with your open palm held just far enough away to not get struck by the ejectors (which smarts). The hand that pulls or pushes the top lever is in position to block the empties before they get thrown out. I practice with snap caps for safety. It sounds like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time, but it is really easy.

Author:  twohigh [ Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

If your left arm has enough mobility to break open an O/U, you can have the empties just pop into your right hand. The way I do it is slightly different than Auldthymer's as it doesn't involve my leg. Simply tuck the buttstock under your right arm at waist level and apply pressure against it. With your left hand on the forend, move the lever over with your right and gently pull down on the barrels and just crack the action 1/4", then, move your right hand up over the chambers and pull the barrels the rest of the way down and the empties will pop into your right hand.

For me this was just intuitive, but having watched my Brother in Law try to figure out how to do it, I know it isn't for everyone.

ps, doing it this way I've never had an ejector break and I've owned several Browning/Mirokus for 40 years.

Author:  oyeme [ Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

No disadvantage to extractors on a target gun and not much on a field gun either if as you should, pick up your empty hulls. One significant advantage to extractors is a simpler and usually more robust mechanism.

Author:  mcneeley5 [ Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

Just shorten the ejector springs enough to lift the hulls.
Eventually you will want strong ejectors, shooting from the 27 and launching your once fired Federal Papers over your right shoulder........

Author:  oyeme [ Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

mcneeley5 wrote:
Just shorten the ejector springs enough to lift the hulls.
Eventually you will want strong ejectors, shooting from the 27 and launching your once fired Federal Papers over your right shoulder........


Now I know why I never made it to the 27 yard line! :oops: :lol:

Author:  Ulysses [ Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

twohigh wrote:
If your left arm has enough mobility to break open an O/U, you can have the empties just pop into your right hand. The way I do it is slightly different than Auldthymer's as it doesn't involve my leg. Simply tuck the buttstock under your right arm at waist level and apply pressure against it. With your left hand on the forend, move the lever over with your right and gently pull down on the barrels and just crack the action 1/4", then, move your right hand up over the chambers and pull the barrels the rest of the way down and the empties will pop into your right hand.

For me this was just intuitive, but having watched my Brother in Law try to figure out how to do it, I know it isn't for everyone.

ps, doing it this way I've never had an ejector break and I've owned several Browning/Mirokus for 40 years.


^^^^^^^^ +1

That's the way I do it. Simply move the top lever to the right and break the action open SLIGHTLY. Then, with left hand on forend of gun and gun butt trapped between my right upper arm/elbow and my side, break it the rest of the way open with right hand just slightly behind the chambers. The ejectors will put the empties right into my hand as gun is FULLY opened. Been doing it that way for at least 25 years and never had to replace an ejector yet.

Who knows, maybe some day I'll need those ejectors if some dude is crowding up too close behind me while I'm shooting. Kind of a subtle way to send a message. :wink:

Author:  Old No7 [ Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

T-Pee wrote:
Reading about the Citori CX I have on the way, 80% of the service issues are for ejector breakage. Considering how the hulls get hammered out of the tubes it makes sense.
Solution? 1911 firing pin springs under the ejector hammers makes it a reliable extractor.

toptechX6 wrote:
...one nice feature of the Citori is that you can choose, the standard ejectors will toss your empties if you so choose, but the simple replacement of the ejector springs with 1911 firing pin springs turns them into extractors, an added benefit is longer parts life...

mcneeley5 wrote:
Just shorten the ejector springs enough to lift the hulls...

All good responses above.

When I first got my CX 12ga it would launch the empties well over 15 feet behind me, with considerable force too! It could take your eyes out if you opened it wrong. I think they were oversprung as made, probably due to a couple of the parts both being on the high-end of being "in spec".

My solution was to simply cut 1.5 coils off the existing springs and now they still come out with some force but only land 4 feet behind me -- but of course, I do catch them in my hand. (It actually used to hurt before -- they came out with that much force.)

I just got a CXS 20 ga (new) and the ejector springs on that one are just fine, so I think that most guns are OK as-is but a few on the high- (or is it low-?) side of the allowed specs will come out with oversprung ejectors.

Old No7

Author:  T-Pee [ Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

I'll report back after next weekend when I get the Citori out of jail. Maybe things have changed a bit.

tp

Author:  geometric [ Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

I don't know if this will help as I am a bird/duck hunter, not a clays guy. I find ejectors to be more of a PIA than anything else but if I didn't want to save my hulls, I would like them a lot more. I inherited Pop's LC Smith duck gun that has ejectors. My gunsmith disconnected the ejectors but they are still there if I ever want them again. My Merkel 47 sle has ejectors. I often wish it didn't. I don't see where they are much of an asset but then who is worried about empty hulls when birds are flushing?

Author:  George Z [ Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Any reason to avoid extractors in place of ejectors?

mcneeley5 wrote:
Just shorten the ejector springs enough to lift the hulls.
Eventually you will want strong ejectors, shooting from the 27 and launching your once fired Federal Papers over your right shoulder........



Problem, with this is that a couple guys at the range will steal them if I dont keep an eye on them LOL j/k


All-

You all helped me understand it better, I can not quite do the catch the shells part yet cause all of the o/u's I shoot are still stiff to open and it is just distracting and bothersome to deal with, would rather open it up not having to worry about catching anything, Then just pull them out. That said I think getting the ejectors and doing the pin/spring mod would be more in line ( also considering I will probley get used and most people around here have ejectors ) with any changes I might have in attitude about it in the future.

Thanks
George

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/