ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If You get a chance help at Youth shoots
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:50 am 
Presentation Grade

Hi All, I am just an average traphooter that helps out at a 2 trap club out in the sticks. When I can, I like to help out with the Kids 4-H practice days. This year Covid, has raised heck with Them, as the national, state, and local fair tournaments were cancelled. The local kids team had an invitational kids tournament that was not affiliated with the 4-H. It was a small but great tournament. Some of these kids had great days, posting some personal best scores. I think I had a better time than the kids did scoring the, “Senior” division. It was fun watching young shooters excel. My point is that a lot of the Youth shooting sports have had Their participation greatly curtailed due to Covid. With a little work, and donation, these kids can be given a small opportunity to compete, and given a little closure to a pretty weird shooting season. If You have the extra time, and are so inclined, consider donating a little of Your time at the club to help these youth shoots. In My case it’s as simple as loading the traps/moving targets, scoring, setting up voice mic’s, etc Good shooting All!

Post subject: Re: If You get a chance help at Youth shoots
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would like to thank Longliner for being a volunteer. Especially for youth shooters. The replacements for us old guys and in a gun unfriendly state run by wacko leftists.

You are the man.....Maltz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:00 am 
Presentation Grade

Maltz, I don’t need any thanks, I get a lot of satisfaction, seeing some of these kids shoot lights out! Besides, I am pretty much a janitor. I am and probably will never be a Great shooter, but I do have a little knowledge, and to see some use that knowledge, and excel, is a good feeling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Believe every volunteer should be thanked. There so few of them, unless being a volunteer is a mandate. Here in the middle part of the country we have gun clubs that are open to members only and part of the membership fee is a required amount of labor. I know of clubs that mandate 16 to 30 hours labor to maintain membership. Keep records with sign in and out sheets. Don't fulfill the work requirement, no longer a member. Other clubs have a work mandate, but they can buy the work requirement out with added membership fees. Something like.... 50 bucks membership and 200.00 to pay for the labor your not fulfilling.

The club I help has true volunteers from board member to score keeper and we have adequate help for the clay side of the club. Not the case for our rifle-pistol side. Not enough volunteers to run all of our competitive events. For example: we set up a field of course much like Precision Rifle, but for 22 rim fire. We get up to 60 participants and then turn them away because we don't have the volunteer help to score and officiate any bigger crowd. Its a money maker limited by volunteers willing to do a little work benefiting the club. The same people that are at the table wanting to spend on projects.

I should complain, we are making big time money and have already spent 1.5 million on outdoor projects in county.

Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for stepping up longliner. Without volunteers these programs die pretty quickly. We need both short term (day to day) and long term (multiple seasons) volunteers. Coaches, organizers, and coach instructors are needed. There's not much more rewarding that pouring time and energy into one of these young athletes and seeing them begin to excel at the sport. I've been at it for 9 years now, and it's super-rewarding. So from an active long term volunteer, thanks to you for your help. It may not seem like much, but it really is the underpinning of what we do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:06 am 
Presentation Grade

Pintail, right back at You Sir! Thank You! I have to say I am not the head coach, just a club officer, that is basically a gopher. There is always need for another set of hands to move targets, load traps, set up voice mics, open the club house, score, etc. It all helps, and You are right, it is very satisfying to see the Youth teams in this area thrive. Have a good one, J. Webb.